Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 09:07 AM

11 posts, read 19,673 times

Advertisements

Newbie here and would like to get your thoughts. I'm transferring to MacDill and looking to live close to the base. I looked at THE LANDINGS by Ashton Woods this past weekend. Very nice houses, but require flood insurance. I'm not worried about schools as my kids will stay here in Ft Walton Beach and I will commute a couple times a month on the weekends to see them. I believe I will only be here for 2-3 years. I'm trying to decide to either rent or buy down there. I plan to have my golden retriever with me, so a yard would be nice, but not a must.

I'm scared about the housing market still going down and then having to sell my house in 2-3 years. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 10:26 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,331,611 times
Though there are some who speculate that the market could come back within two or three years (come back as in start acting normal, not as in back to bubble prices or appreciation rates), and I hope it does but am not counting on it, I would not buy just to own for 2 or 3 years, considering things might not get back to normal, considering the hassle of buying and the cost of selling, etc.

To hold for five or especially 10 years or longer (whether you live in it for the first three years and then rent it out, for instance), I think could be a good idea if researched well and executed carefully & properly. For less time I'd rent, especially now as rents have come down considerably since the illusionary bubble period.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the info. That's kind of what I was thinking as well. Any ideas on some townhomes/condos near the base with rent ranges from $1100-2000?

Old 03-31-2010, 11:32 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,331,611 times
You're welcome. Not all that familiar with that area but realtor.com shows lots to pick from. With the pup I'd go for a house. For instance...

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/6814-S-Gabrielle-St_Tampa_FL_33611_1117254233?mp=1

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Tampa_FL_33611_1113700120?mp=1

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/7007-S-Sparkman-St_Tampa_FL_33616_1116048238?mp=1

Now you just need to find one with a fenced yard and a doggie door.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:41 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
the drive to Brandon isn't far - via the cross town expressway - not much traffic on the expressway - just on Dale Mabry. I'd live in Brandon if I were you - there are several townhome type communities there. The stuff near MacDill seems run down, poor - there are several condo/townhome communities that look nice right outside the back/side gate that leads to Bayshore and Hyde Park areas - those are convenient and look nicer. But the communities off of Dale Mabry aren't very nice looking.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:43 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
the first two listings from housingcrash aren't too bad of an area ----all three look nice though -convenient to live close to base.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
You're welcome. Not all that familiar with that area but realtor.com shows lots to pick from. With the pup I'd go for a house. For instance...

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/6814-S-Gabrielle-St_Tampa_FL_33611_1117254233?mp=1

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Tampa_FL_33611_1113700120?mp=1

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/7007-S-Sparkman-St_Tampa_FL_33616_1116048238?mp=1

Now you just need to find one with a fenced yard and a doggie door.

Thanks Housingcrashsurvivor for all the info. Those are a good start and close to bayshore would be nice too.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
the first two listings from housingcrash aren't too bad of an area ----all three look nice though -convenient to live close to base.
Yea, It would be nice to be close to base...I just hate driving period. I all three actually...especially the second one

Old 04-02-2010, 01:48 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,307,759 times
I lived in brandon and commuted to MacDill AFB. I hated it. I live near international plaza now, much better commute.

I was in the military until about a year and a half ago. I bought a house in GA and still have it. it sat vacant for months after I ETS'd i was paying to live in two places at once. Now I have to deal with a property manager for a house i want to sell, but am upsidedown on.

Biggest mistake I made was buying a house as a single guy, knowing I wouldn't be staying in the area more then a few years.

I suggest renting. Not to mention the fact that if you deploy, you can easily get out of your lease. If you deploy, you are still going to have to make your mortgage payment. To maximize the money you save on deployment, I wouldn't reccomend buying. Unless you have a substantial down payment, it is cheaper to rent anyway. You have to take into consideration assosiation fees, and all those other great expenses that come with owning a house.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
I lived in brandon and commuted to MacDill AFB. I hated it. I live near international plaza now, much better commute.

I was in the military until about a year and a half ago. I bought a house in GA and still have it. it sat vacant for months after I ETS'd i was paying to live in two places at once. Now I have to deal with a property manager for a house i want to sell, but am upsidedown on.

Biggest mistake I made was buying a house as a single guy, knowing I wouldn't be staying in the area more then a few years.

I suggest renting. Not to mention the fact that if you deploy, you can easily get out of your lease. If you deploy, you are still going to have to make your mortgage payment. To maximize the money you save on deployment, I wouldn't reccomend buying. Unless you have a substantial down payment, it is cheaper to rent anyway. You have to take into consideration assosiation fees, and all those other great expenses that come with owning a house.

Thanks Craig for the info. I am looking at renting now and hope to get back down there in May to look at apartments/condos/townhomes. I saw that Phillips International is pretty new and has some nice apartments. I will look there as well as Casa Bella and maybe a condo here and there. But I do want to be close to base and not commute far at all...thanks again.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: