Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 01:11 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,930 times

Advertisements

Nope, sorry Algia, I disagree. Closing down the schools? Really? These kids will just go to other schools, they are entitled to go to school in Florida, it is their right and the law. Them not going to school is breaking a law as is bringing a gun to school. Bringing weapons into school is not allowed, obviously... but what is the school supposed to do, frisk every student? You would just have parents complain that their children are being touched. Metal Detectors? Parents would complain that the metal detectors are a psychological terror.
Just because someone lives in a bad neighborhood does not mean they should not have a school in that neighborhood. Guess what, when you live in a bad neighborhood you have a certain expectation of the events that will occur around you. These 'bad' students would go into other schools in the area resulting in many schools having problems. Troublemaker makers trouble no matter where they go. Sorry, I would rather them stay in their neighborhood schools than be transferred into mine. I worked very hard to very hard to get to where I am today so my children would not have to attend these types of schools. I am choosing to live in a neighborhood that does not hace these type of schools there. Am I ignorant enough to think that just because I am taking my kids to the best school I can that some child may not bring a weapon to school? Of course not. Am I ignorant enough to think that harm cannot happen to my kids at anyplace or anytime? Nope. The fact is, you can do your best to try and keep your children out of harm's way, but its not possible.... it cannot be controlled.
The problem with society, and Americans, these days is that we believe control is something that actually exists. America has the laws that it has and keeps adding more and more because laws are in place to 'control' people. This mentality is beginning to seep into everyday citizens and is classified as OKAY? People used to have morals and we did not need as many laws. Morals and having a conscience is not about having control of others, it is having self control. Laws are in place to control others. All I can do is raise my children with morals and tolerance of others and hopefully some immoral POS doesn't harm them.

Oh, and its not just Florida where respect for schools have diminished. It's the entire nation. A 16 year old girl got stabbed and put into the hospital....barely alive yesterday. Her ex-boyfriend was the perp. We only have a population of 280,000 in our 'metro' area and you hear of kids getting assaulted with deadly weapons at least once a month. Kids bringing guns to school is no longer news worthy here.

Perhaps if parents would spend more time being involved with the schools this would no longer happen. But we are too busy these days with Facebook, MySpace, DVRs, Traffic and running up credit card debt to have time. Schools USED to be the center of the community, this no longer happens. This is not the fault of the school, it is the fault of self absorbed people who do not understand why COMMUNITY is important.

Last edited by FloridaKash; 04-01-2010 at 01:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: