U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 08:21 PM

16,735 posts, read 11,155,884 times

Advertisements

I say drill away within 25 miles of the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 03:04 AM

3,380 posts, read 8,212,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
Drilling in the US has to happen. It is just a shame it has to happen so close to home...
Exactly, this is why they should be drilling ANWR. The way the drill for oil in the Arctic is astonishing. They build everything there to impact the environment and animals as little as possible. The Alaska Pipeline had to be built at certain heights above ground so Migrating Caribou could cross under it. Ice roads are built to protect the tundra. ANWR is really in the middle of nowhere. They think there is TONS of oil there and they would drill it responsibly. They have been drilling the north slope for over 40 years. There is still migrating caribou there and minimal impact has been made to the animals that live there. Yes, some spills occur, but frankly I would prefer spills to happen on land other than at sea, they are much easier to clean up. They have spill response teams that can go and clean up any spill that happens with little to no impact after it happened. It just makes sense to me.

Read this to educate yourselves and than write your congressmen and senators. They should not be drilling off the inhabited beaches of Florida and in the gulf where MILLIONS of people live and get food from.

Arctic Power - Arctic National Wildlife Refuge - Arctic National Wildlife Refuge: the issue

Old 04-03-2010, 10:15 AM

214 posts, read 617,743 times
I think there is at least one other thread on this in this forum, however...

Pros: Not only does the US need petroleum for fuel but aso plastics, medicines, fertilizers, and pesticides are made from petroleum products. It's been argued that the high yield per acre of US farm production is due to the use of dino-based products.

Cons: I've seen nearshore rigs in Southern California and they are just plain ugly. There is also always the risk of pollution.

Bonus: I found it humorously ironic that the radical "ecofreaks" who normally are anti-business, anti-Bush, etc just got... ummm... "drilled" by Obama.

"That is all I have to say."

Old 04-03-2010, 10:52 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,973,970 times
^^On the flip side, in the true American spirit, shouldn't we use up the rest of the worlds oil, then when everyone else is dying and fighting, we tap into our reserves. One might say that the rest of the world would wage World War 3 on the US, but really... how are they gonna do that without OIL?

This could quickly get moved into the politcal forum...

Old 04-03-2010, 03:44 PM

4,322 posts, read 5,991,173 times
I once really, really cared about the state of Florida. Joined grass roots political groups, ecological groups, bird and manatee counting groups, etc. After a while, it became apparent that not enough people shared my enthusiasm and the state politicians were never going to get out of bed with big time developers. The apathy killed my windmill tilting. I say drill away-the whole state is eventually going to paved over anyway and Floridians suck down energy like drunken sailors, so if finally some decent, non white collar jobs can be created, why not?
The oil found off of Florida will do absolutely nothing in relation to our dependency on foreign oil, but maybe the state can make a few bucks.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:24 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,973,970 times
^^^ Agreed

by the way... Further broken down... of the 16% that makes up North America, the US accounts for only 1.7%.

Canada has the second largest reserve in the world (behind Saudi Arabia) and produces VERY little oil. They currently have a 149 year supply of oil (reserve to production ratio). America? 8 whopping years. Iraq currently holds the worlds best worlds best reserve to production ratio at 150 years.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:31 PM

6,073 posts, read 5,587,421 times
It's all spin. The Obama admininstation put the halts on a bunch of drilling, the new announcement really doesn't do squat for increasing oil production. It is a fig leaf so the President can pretend he is taking a middle of the road approach.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:39 AM

426 posts, read 1,124,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
Exactly, this is why they should be drilling ANWR. ... ANWR is really in the middle of nowhere.
I've often thought the same thing, and then I ask myself, am I just being a "not in my backyard" person?

Maybe. But maybe not. Few Americans will ever set foot in ANWR, vs. the millions that will enjoy Florida's beaches over the next x-number of years. Same goes for economic impact in the event of an accident.

Now, this isn't saying we should trash the remote corners of the world. For example, the middle of the Pacific ocean is now full of floating rubbish. This disgusts me, and the thought of this stuff washing up on the remote shore of beaches I'll never visit is horrible. But if it is really about risk, carefully building infrastructure on terra firma in ANWR seems like a better option overall.

I'm sure I'm biased however. I had a wonderful day at Pass-a-Grille beach yesterday- watched some dolphins playing, sailboats passing by, as my son played in the clean sand and water.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:40 AM

426 posts, read 1,124,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
Canada has the second largest reserve in the world (behind Saudi Arabia) and produces VERY little oil.
Anyone know why Canada produces so little? Environmental concerns or what?

Old 04-06-2010, 08:20 AM

17 posts, read 50,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganFL View Post
As someone that lives right on the beach I would agree that the risk is unjustified. However, from what I understand, we've already been allowing drilling in the Gulf by other nations like China and Mexico. If anything, I would think American companies would do it a little safer.
Exactly. It is inevitable by someone so let us have the oil and the risk be more controllable. The OP was correct in that it can become partisan but I question the underlying motives of people who screamingly protest us drilling but are strangely silent about others. Clearly, the motive cannot be environmentalism since the risk is at least the same and arguably worse if someone from the other side of the world does it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or