Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 09:36 AM

428 posts, read 1,242,953 times

Advertisements

By now I'm sure everyone heard in the news that Obama is planning to open up offshore drilling off the gulf coast of our state.

What do you guys think about this?

This is apparently not a partisan issue as you'll find members of both parties who support or denounce this. In fact I think I recall that Governor Bush disagreed with President Bush on this topic. Not only is that in the same party, but also in the same family!

In my opinion, the risk is not worth the reward. Lets face it- everything is a trade off. For example, modern nuclear power is largely safe yet there are negatives. I feel that the negatives are worth it to enable us to have electricity. If drilling out there could make us completely energy independent and able to give a middle finger to the folks in the Middle East that love us so much, I'd probably say it is worth the risk. But this isn't the case.

The U.S. has only about 2% of the world's petroleum reserves and only a small faction of that is off the gulf coast in FL. And while nobody can know the likelihood of an accident, the reality is this: accidents happen We're hit by hurricanes from time to time and lots of things can happen at sea. And it only takes one accident, one time, to destroy our beaches. Not only have we lost of of our states most precious natural resources, but we've lost one of our primary industries- tourism. I've never been to Corpus Christi but understand the beaches there have suffered.

Anyway, I'm just a normal person, you know- the type that uses plastic shopping bags but tries to re-use them when possible. I'm the type that wouldn't buy a Prius but I'd never think of leaving so much as a gum wrapper on the beach. To me, it is common sense that the white sands and blue water of Fort DeSoto and oil rigs (even 125 miles away) don't mix. The risk certainly doesn't seem worth the reward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 10:06 AM

108 posts, read 308,133 times
As someone that lives right on the beach I would agree that the risk is unjustified. However, from what I understand, we've already been allowing drilling in the Gulf by other nations like China and Mexico. If anything, I would think American companies would do it a little safer.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:33 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
I think its good they are allowing it. With that said, I am only supporting the drilling if they can increase their technology to make it safer and more environmentally sound. I feel like Gulf Coast drilling is still done irresponsibly and 'old school' style. I may be wrong and hope that I am. But I am pretty confident that North Slope drilling is much more environmentally sound and safer than it is in the Gulf.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:45 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
We had drilling off shore in Europe and never had any incidents as far as I can remember and we could see the oil platforms from the coast.

What is more suprising to me is that Obama who was so against drilling and campaigned against it, is now in favor of it. Is it because he wants votes for the bad bill called cap & trade?

Old 04-01-2010, 05:48 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
Bentlebee, this is the reason that I just can't speak/write about it yet. Until such time as I can get over my fury, I'll withhold my sentiments on Florida drilling.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:07 PM

428 posts, read 1,242,953 times
Good points on the safety aspect. I am aware that there is no comparison from the Chernobyl reactor and some of the latest reactor designs. This is a big reason why I advocate nuclear power w/o reservations.

So, I am hopeful that the safety aspect is greatly improved for oil drilling technology as well. Because lets face it, our oceans aren't getting any cleaner- the only place we have to go is down....

Old 04-01-2010, 09:18 PM

17 posts, read 108,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjax1000 View Post

If drilling out there could make us completely energy independent and able to give a middle finger to the folks in the Middle East that love us so much, I'd probably say it is worth the risk. But this isn't the case.

The U.S. has only about 2% of the world's petroleum reserves and only a small faction of that is off the gulf coast in FL.
I feel this sums up my feelings on the matter completely. I'd be all for drilling if it had any kind of impact, but the bottom line is that it won't. Correct me if I'm wrong, but opening up the Gulf to drilling won't even remotely bring us a fraction of energy independence. As the I saw in the tbt* today:

"Expanded drilling in the gulf would have minimal effect at the pump. Opening previously restricted areas to drilling would c ut oil prices by less than 3 cents a gallon by 2030, which would have little effect on gas*oline prices, according to Michael A. Levi, an energy expert a t the Council on Foreign Relations. "

Whats the point?

Old 04-01-2010, 09:29 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domecrank View Post

Whats the point?
^^Jobs.

I don't mean jobs at theme parks or hotels that pay $10 per hour, I mean REAL jobs that pay $50k-100k a year.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:43 AM

150 posts, read 474,628 times
I wouldn't touch this issue with a ten-foot pole.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:39 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,307,759 times
Drilling in the US has to happen. It is just a shame it has to happen so close to home...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay