Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2010, 11:37 AM

175 posts, read 438,147 times

Advertisements

After some great feedback regarding schools, we are looking at the Brandon/Valrico area. Interested in information regarding crime, family neighborhoods, amenities and friendliness of the area. Any information that you could lend would be appreciated.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 12:15 AM

1 posts, read 3,852 times
I was raised in the valrico area and went to durant the only problem i had when i was was younger was getting to places or friends houses because everything is spread out and there really isn't much to do unless you want to spend money. But as a parent the place is for familys and my parents have no real problems with our neighboors but there always is that one dick.

As for crime its really not that bad its like any other neighorhood from what i have gathered. Depends on what area you want to move into though because there are rougher parts but they really are not that ghetto just a bunch of people trying to act like hardasses.

If you have any specific questions thought i can probably help you but i really haven't looked at this area as a parent before lol i have had more of the kid point of veiw.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:13 AM

428 posts, read 1,243,478 times
In my experience, this area is comprised of two primary things, (1), tract home subdivisions, and (2), strip malls. Traffic seems rather heavy in many parts. You're a long way from the beaches if that is any concern. The benefits are that real estate will be less expensive and depending on where you are at, you might have easy access to the cross town expressway.

Previous posted said it well- area is spread out and not much to do. But hey, that is life in 99% of Florida. When I was a kid, we'd either go to the mall, go to k-mart, or stay home. Parks and cultural activities aren't big deals in most of this state, and the Brandon area isn't any different.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:42 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,320,277 times
Look South of Hwy 60 for ease to the crosstown if you work downtown. North side of Brandon will have some traffic headaches at rush-hour. Especially with the trains. Unless, in the past ten years they have changed their THRU schedule in Brandon. It was always my luck to find myself parked watching a train back up, pull forward, back up again and sit there for 15 mins when I was in a hurry. It was probably just my luck, but MAN could it tie up traffic!

That being said, there are some nice neighborhoods in Brandon AND Valrico. The beaches are NOT close, yes this is true. It is GREAT to be close to the mall though and the crosstown is a Godsend for getting across town quick, even if you don't use it daily. It's there when you are in a hurry and need to be there quick. The crime is not that bad. I would say average to anywhere. Again, every section around Tampa has some areas that are higher in crime, be sure to ask your realtor to show you the locales that are not in those higher crime zones. Can't speak about the schools, I sent my daughter to private school in Tampa. There are some areas that are near the Alafia river (some nice areas) and others near lakes that would require flood insurance, but for the most part a positive with Brandon Valrico areas is that you do not have to have flood insurance which is not true for other areas in Tampa. Hmm...I think there is plenty to do in Brandon. LOTS of restaurants, shopping, Theaters, Bowling, Roller Skating, Ice Skating Rink with Hockey and open skate, a great Community type Pool Brandon Swim and Tennis, that has spawned some Olympic simmers and divers. Nice golf courses. If you are gambler...Hard Rock isn't too far away. The fairgrounds are convenient to Brandon, you are close to Plant City and The Strawberry Festival. I LOVE living in Brandon! I lived in Valrico for 12 years also...I like them equally! Hope I have given you a little more info than you had.
Happy Hunting!

Old 04-26-2010, 12:55 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Hate to bring it to revive an old thread, but I gotta know. How bad is the traffic on SR-60 from Valrico to the Crosstown? According to what I saw using Google Maps, some of this road appears to have been upgraded. Is it a nightmare to get around on this roac around rush hour? I would be headed West in the AM and East in the PM, just like everyone else.

Thanks

Old 04-26-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
Hate to bring it to revive an old thread, but I gotta know. How bad is the traffic on SR-60 from Valrico to the Crosstown? According to what I saw using Google Maps, some of this road appears to have been upgraded. Is it a nightmare to get around on this roac around rush hour? I would be headed West in the AM and East in the PM, just like everyone else.

Thanks
Would you be coming from N of 60 or S of 60 and how far out? Valrico or closer? What is the closest crossroad to 60 nearest you?

If you can answer that, I can tell the fastest way to travel during rush hour from one side of town to the other. Personally, I NEVER use 60. Only when I am specifically going to a retail location that is located on 60 and then I use back roads to close the gap before using it. Why get on 60, it just aggravates you with all the traffic. I can get where I want to go so much faster on a back road. Let me know..I can give you some options and you can try them out for yourself and decide.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:12 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
Would you be coming from N of 60 or S of 60 and how far out? Valrico or closer? What is the closest crossroad to 60 nearest you?

If you can answer that, I can tell the fastest way to travel during rush hour from one side of town to the other. Personally, I NEVER use 60. Only when I am specifically going to a retail location that is located on 60 and then I use back roads to close the gap before using it. Why get on 60, it just aggravates you with all the traffic. I can get where I want to go so much faster on a back road. Let me know..I can give you some options and you can try them out for yourself and decide.

Hi Deef, thanks for the response. I am currently trying to determine viable neighborhoods to look at before picking a place. Bascally I am trying to determine if living in Valrico would make it anymore difficuly to get to Rocky Point than say Riverview or Brandon (obviously Brandon is closest to the corsstown).

Old 04-26-2010, 03:36 PM

523 posts, read 2,830,147 times
I moved out of Brandon Valrico, due to the bad traffic on 60 and causeway rd . I go there to visit , and find myself avoiding even doing that.
If you are working at Rocky Point area , You are looking at 1 hr to work .
I would check out Clearwater it is got some nice areas. lot closer.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:47 PM

Well, there are a few decent areas of Brandon, but stay south of Bloomingdale or East of Kings Ave. (Now some may rebute me here, but just my opinion) Guess what I am saying is I would not look in the subdivisions between Lumsden and Bloomingdale "personally". That being said, if you are further toward Valrico the main arteries to get you to the crosstown are Bloomingdale, Lumsden and Hwy 60. I use Lumsden usually getting to the crosstown. There are some tips to getting away from the traffic in the AM and PM depending on time of travel. Riverview is okay too, but FishHawk can be a PAIN to get out of or into. So...other than the area I mentioned above, I would look in South Brandon, South Valrico or Riverview areas. There are some nice areas if you look for them. As soon as you narrow your field down, DM me I will be glad to give you the way I would drive. Just remember, once you get on the crosstown it's a piece of cake. If you are going to Rocky Point I have a suggestion for that too.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:28 AM

224 posts, read 551,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjax1000 View Post
In my experience, this area is comprised of two primary things, (1), tract home subdivisions, and (2), strip malls. Traffic seems rather heavy in many parts. You're a long way from the beaches if that is any concern. The benefits are that real estate will be less expensive and depending on where you are at, you might have easy access to the cross town expressway.

Previous posted said it well- area is spread out and not much to do. But hey, that is life in 99% of Florida. When I was a kid, we'd either go to the mall, go to k-mart, or stay home. Parks and cultural activities aren't big deals in most of this state, and the Brandon area isn't any different.
Should explain the kmart has a HUGE parking lot and a chuckecheese and the kids would drive their cars around and park there at night. Shows how times have changed, can't do that anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay