Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2010, 02:54 PM

14 posts, read 51,156 times

Advertisements

My family is currently living in Central KY and we're looking to relocate to the Western Coast of FL. I've heard and read that St Petersburg, Tampa(Brandon,Valrico), and maybe Ft Myers are good choices. Can someone, anyone please help, I don't want to get down there, have us take a job and realize we're in gangland or in the middle of a very bad area with high crime, nothing to do, far from the beach, bad schools etc.

We are hoping to purchase a home in the $200's-$250's. Want to be relatively close to the water even if it means driving there on the weekends. We want good schools with high scores and great teachers. Hoping for things for families to do, slower pace of life, safe town to raise the kids(3 & 5), desire good private schools for them eventually.

We definitely don't want a fast paced, snobby, loud, boisterous area to live in with people only concerned with what they wear and the car they drive. We make ok money but aren't rich by any means and don't want to live near or around rich snobs. We just want to live happily in peace, slow paced life with family environment to come home to.

ANY suggestions, experiences, thoughts(even sarcastic, negative ones) and maybe even links to good county/city websites would be MORE than welcome.

We're looking to make our move within the next 3 months at the absolute latest. I'm pregnant(8 months) and would prefer to move now if possible, if not then sometime early June.

Thank you kindly in advance for all your advice and help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 04:18 PM

807 posts, read 3,187,166 times
Well, it seems that you want what every young family wants...but if I were to suggest a community, I think it would be Seminole. It's in central Pinellas County, close to the beaches (and Lake Seminole), good schools, 'slower' paced and close to activities.

The traffic in Pinellas may be kind of a culture shock.

Best wishes with the baby!

Old 04-06-2010, 08:16 PM

14 posts, read 51,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by On-da-Beach View Post
Well, it seems that you want what every young family wants...but if I were to suggest a community, I think it would be Seminole. It's in central Pinellas County, close to the beaches (and Lake Seminole), good schools, 'slower' paced and close to activities.

The traffic in Pinellas may be kind of a culture shock.

Best wishes with the baby!
What part of Florida is Seminole? I guess I can Google maps it. Anyhow I'm originally born and raised in San Diego, Ca for almost 3 decades, now living in KY. That's one reason I am yearning to move back to the beach, this time on the east coast. You say traffic may be a culture shock, so I'm not too sure what that means, does that mean there's lot of traffic or not much?

Thanks for any additional help!

Old 04-06-2010, 09:40 PM

807 posts, read 3,187,166 times
Seminole is between St. Pete and Clearwater. Lots of traffic in Pinellas...much more than Kentucky, I'd imagine. You didn't mention San Diego, so you're used to traffic I guess.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:15 AM

7 posts, read 14,943 times
Have you considered the Sarasota, Venice area? Very beautiful beaches, no traffic...more difficult to find a job, unless you are in healthcare.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:58 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,079,489 times
Lots of traffic depends on our perspective. Where I came from it was gridlock on the highways daily (UK) same for NYers who commute into Manhattan and surrounding areas, likewise LA. So compared to that Pinellas is a sunday afternoon jaunt
I never find the traffic dreadful, yes there are occasional hold ups on key bridges, more than there should be due to fools with cellphones/breakfast/razors/no brains etc etc,but it's usually do-able.
If you are staying in county (Pinellas rather than commuting over the bridge to Hillsborough and Tampa) then there are often alternative routes.

Seminole is a popular family destination for the very reasons you asked initially, schools, (our children used all 3 - our second is graduating Seminole High this summer and I have seen good results all 3 levels) location close (very close) to beaches, reasonable property prices, right now you are on the edge of your budget but it is possible near the upper end, neighborhoods are safe, friendly and close enough to get to shops/entertainment and lots of parks around. Good luck with baby #3

Old 04-16-2010, 08:30 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
I don't live in Seminole, but I drive through there a lot. It probably is your best bet for an affordable family community only minutes from the beach. If you live in the western parts of town, you can probably even walk over the bridge to the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay