Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:43 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,367,224 times

Advertisements

Got one in the mail today... Bell Shoals and Bloomingdale headed north, taking a left from Bell Shoals onto Bloomingdale. Ran a red light...

From the photo's they showed on the "by mail ticket" I did run it... $125.00. I'm going to pay it but I wonder what it does to your insurance seeing as it isn't actually called a ticket... input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 07:49 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,605,471 times
They did a news story on that and said that it does not affect insurance and is considered to be along the lines of a parking ticket. You still have to pay it, but it won't follow you.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:03 PM

540 posts, read 1,329,150 times
I drive on E Fowler to USF all the time, and see the camera going off at 56th like a disco strobe. They are raking in the bucks. I never got a ticket but found this info.

Running a Red Light, Passing a Stopped School Bus, Racing on a Highway, or Reckless Driving

"Effective October 1, 2009, Florida requires any operator convicted of Running a Red Light, Passing a Stopped School Bus, Racing on a Highway (including spectators), or Reckless Driving to complete the 4 hour Basic Driver Improvement (BDI) course. All drivers, even CDL holders, are required to complete this course. Failure to complete the course will result in the operator's driving privileges being suspended.
All drivers, except CDL holders and those convicted of Passing a Stopped School Bus on the enter/exit side (court appearance required), may "Elect" to attend the required 4 Hour BDI school in lieu of points. If the violator "Elects" to attend school for the above violations, the Points will be withheld and that Election will satisfy the requirements of F.S. 322.0261(4).
If a violator does not choose to Elect to attend school, Points will be added to their record for 3 years and the Florida DMV will automatically generate a notice advising the violator that they must attend a Hour BDI School within 90 days from the date of the notice. The notice will be generated and sent to the driver upon information being received at the DMV after the fine is paid. If the driver fails to complete the course within 90 days after receiving notice from the Florida DHMVS, the operator's driver license shall be canceled until the course is successfully completed.'

Florida Points and Driver License Suspensions | Nations Traffic School

Edit to add. This info is different from what magijasakymaro posted. Maybe running a red light is only a moving violation if a cop writes the citation, and is treated differently than the camera ticket

Last edited by baseballgal; 04-08-2010 at 08:57 PM..

Old 04-08-2010, 08:12 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,605,471 times
They are different tickets, you don't have to go to traffic school.

Read about 3/4 of the way down here:

Hillsborough: If you don't stop at Hillsborough red lights, then smile for the camera

About 1/2way through here:

Red light camera tickets, and excuses, get a hearing in Tampa - St. Petersburg Times

Old 04-08-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magijasakymaro View Post
They are different tickets, you don't have to go to traffic school.

Read about 3/4 of the way down here:

Hillsborough: If you don't stop at Hillsborough red lights, then smile for the camera

About 1/2way through here:

Red light camera tickets, and excuses, get a hearing in Tampa - St. Petersburg Times
The first article is 2 years old, but the second one does say no points.
Hopefully that's right.

"These cases are heard by a Hillsborough County code enforcement special magistrate because red light camera enforcement comes from a county ordinance. They are not heard in Traffic Court because they are not "moving violations," meaning a law enforcement officer did not witness the violation.
The drivers don't get points added to their driving records"

Old 04-08-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballgal View Post
The first article is 2 years old, but the second one does say no points.
Hopefully that's right.

"These cases are heard by a Hillsborough County code enforcement special magistrate because red light camera enforcement comes from a county ordinance. They are not heard in Traffic Court because they are not "moving violations," meaning a law enforcement officer did not witness the violation.
The drivers don't get points added to their driving records"
I hope this is right... I remember it now, I just came from a branch of my bank that I Never use... the photo's show I was clearly running it. A real eye opener...

Old 04-08-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
I hope this is right... I remember it now, I just came from a branch of my bank that I Never use... the photo's show I was clearly running it. A real eye opener...

I'm curious. How long from the time of the infraction until you got the ticket in the mail?

Old 04-08-2010, 11:57 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,746,949 times
Quote:
Got one in the mail today... Bell Shoals and Bloomingdale headed north, taking a left from Bell Shoals onto Bloomingdale. Ran a red light...

From the photo's they showed on the "by mail ticket" I did run it... $125.00. I'm going to pay it but I wonder what it does to your insurance seeing as it isn't actually called a ticket... input?
Oh look, someone is actually willing to admit they did it. I can't stand when people complain about getting a ticket for something they clearly did, even after being show on camera clearly doing it.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballgal View Post
I'm curious. How long from the time of the infraction until you got the ticket in the mail?
Seventeen Days...

Old 04-09-2010, 09:39 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Welcome to the European style....next will be police officers hiding behind trees with the camera's on a pole to get speeders, and then getting the surprise ticket in the mail...they can catch like 2500 at one time.

One town had so many tickets over the last years and the people started to realize that it was costing so much that now most of them are keeping to the speed limit so the police department/city isn't getting much revenue anymore so they adjusted the speed limit againt to catch more people...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay