U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-12-2010, 08:51 PM
 
Location: NY
161 posts, read 234,188 times
Reputation: 117

Advertisements

I have been to Tampa during the summer and know that it is quite HOT. When I have asked people in Tampa about when it starts to get hot, usually they say July and August. Do they have a different concept than this New Yorker of what hot is? Hard for me to believe that things aren't sizzling away in May (or April?) and stay that way into perhaps...October? Now, I much enjoy summer weather and the Northeast cold I can withstand until about December 31st (then I start longing for the Spring), but I am wondering if a move to Tampa might be a mistake. Is the Tampa heat intolerable from what month to what month?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-12-2010, 09:03 PM
 
Location: Hernando County, FL
8,488 posts, read 18,690,806 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by deebin View Post
I have been to Tampa during the summer and know that it is quite HOT. When I have asked people in Tampa about when it starts to get hot, usually they say July and August. Do they have a different concept than this New Yorker of what hot is? Hard for me to believe that things aren't sizzling away in May (or April?) and stay that way into perhaps...October? Now, I much enjoy summer weather and the Northeast cold I can withstand until about December 31st (then I start longing for the Spring), but I am wondering if a move to Tampa might be a mistake. Is the Tampa heat intolerable from what month to what month?
You will read though this forum and find numerous threads on the subject. There are some like me that it never gets too hot and other that say it is unbearable 8 months of the year.

Some natives it is too hot for and some transplants it is too hot for.
Some natives it is never too hot and some some transplants it is never too hot.
It does really matter where you are from.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2010, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Tampa
1,236 posts, read 4,227,733 times
Reputation: 944
From my experience, in the beginning it felt hot starting in April thru the end of Oct. Once you are down here for several years, you get use to the warmer weather. I moved down here on April 8th, 2005. When I first went to pick up my girls from school (only 4 blocks away), I had sweat pouring down my back. Now, 5 years later, it doesn't feel so bad. I love the winters. I hated winters up in NYC/NJ. Summer heat is unbearable mostly when it is humid. It is like the winters up north. You pretty much stay indoors in the summer. Everyone is different. I would suggest that you rent until you are pretty sure you want to stay. Do give it a few years because it does take at least that long for your blood to thin.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2010, 09:12 PM
 
Location: Tampa
2,602 posts, read 7,502,296 times
Reputation: 1551
I like the heat, but most people find late April or early May through August or September to be a difficult time of the year. Like other posters have mentioned, the humidity really is much worse than the actual heat.

Of course, some years it can be very warm throughout December. That wasn't really the case this year, but it does happen.

Hopefully you'll get used to it after living down here for awhile. Some do, some don't.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 04:42 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Pinellas County
1,450 posts, read 2,669,757 times
Reputation: 1036
agree with annaegel - I am a european import and I found it hard from April to October, now I find it hard from June to Sept/Oct. I usually wear jeans up to may and sometimes into June but not to walk any long distances, more to protect me from bug bites Harder to zap me through denim!
I hate constantly spraying myself with deet - I wonder what it is doing to me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Tampa
1,236 posts, read 4,227,733 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
- I hate constantly spraying myself with deet - I wonder what it is doing to me.
I have found a natural deet free product that works pretty well. I got it at Nutritions S'Mart, but you can probably find it at any health food stores. It is called Buzz Away extreme! I also went to the USF plant sale over the weekend and bought a product called Bug Bam. It is a bracelet that is natural, again deet free. I don't know if it works. I have bought similar stuff. It stinks and it did not work. I hope this one works. The woman who sold it to me said it works, we'll see. I was willing to give it a try. They have a store called Grace's Hydro at 8877 North 56 St. You can find more info on their website.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 07:53 AM
 
15,860 posts, read 33,260,172 times
Reputation: 20095
It also depends on WHERE in Florida you live, generally if you live near a coast or large lake you will get nice breezes which make things feel cooler. If you are in one of the larger inland cities (like Orlando) you will get the "heat sink" effect and feel much hotter, for much larger portion of the year.

I am a native currently living near the bay in Manatee County, and for me the weather doesn't start feeling a little too hot until June. July through Sept. are the worst months to me (every year will be different) as far as heat and humidity.

Best bet is live in a shady area near the coast or on a lake!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 08:40 AM
 
Location: Myrtle Beach
3,380 posts, read 8,256,536 times
Reputation: 2930
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
I have found a natural deet free product that works pretty well. I got it at Nutritions S'Mart, but you can probably find it at any health food stores. It is called Buzz Away extreme! I also went to the USF plant sale over the weekend and bought a product called Bug Bam. It is a bracelet that is natural, again deet free. I don't know if it works. I have bought similar stuff. It stinks and it did not work. I hope this one works. The woman who sold it to me said it works, we'll see. I was willing to give it a try. They have a store called Grace's Hydro at 8877 North 56 St. You can find more info on their website.
Not sure if Florida mosquitoes are much different than Alaskan mosquitoes, but we also have a huge mosquito problem. In fact, some people call it the state bird and sell 'mosquito traps' that look like bear traps. Sometimes you will see mosquitoes so thick its hard to see through and quite intimidating. This is pretty much a lead up to explain I do have experience with mosquitoes.

Now, with that said. I find that bug sprays which do not contain DEET are inferior and do not work as well. If you want ultimate protection get something with deet in it. You do not need OFF! Deep Woods Sportsman (30% DEET) which has a high concentration of DEET, unless you are going into an area where the mosquitoes are very thick. I prefer the OFF! Family Care Smooth & Dry (15% DEET). Family care only lasts up to 2 hours. Make sure you reapply often!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Where ever you're at, that's where you are!
371 posts, read 1,084,588 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
It also depends on WHERE in Florida you live, generally if you live near a coast or large lake you will get nice breezes which make things feel cooler. If you are in one of the larger inland cities (like Orlando) you will get the "heat sink" effect and feel much hotter, for much larger portion of the year.

I am a native currently living near the bay in Manatee County, and for me the weather doesn't start feeling a little too hot until June. July through Sept. are the worst months to me (every year will be different) as far as heat and humidity.

Best bet is live in a shady area near the coast or on a lake!
About how close to the coast would you need to be to get the cooling breezes? That is something I haven't been able to figure out yet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 11:47 AM
 
10 posts, read 14,345 times
Reputation: 10
I am originally from NY as well and its HOT ... I am actually thinking I have had enough. In the Tampa area, by Memorial Day weekend, you are done with the comfortable weather. In my opinion, September is the HOTTEST month. If we get lucky, its comfortable by Halloween, but not in the last few years. So plan on staying in the A/C from 6/1 to 11/1 ... sorry .. probably NOT what you wanted to hear
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:59 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top