Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 03:17 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magijasakymaro View Post
We moved here last December and I swear I've been sick since January. I might have a string of a few good days here and there, but between myself and the kids, there's been very little good health. We've had everything from stomach flu to ear infection to bronchitis and more.

Has anyone else had this happen after coming to this area? Honestly I was hoping for less illness in a warmer climate!
The pollen has been especially bad this year, it's been making me feel miserable. You may want to get checked for allergies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 08:18 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,606,761 times
Update:

There is something either in the HVAC system or in the ducts. There is a terrible smell coming out when the A/C first starts up. We had it on overnight last night and every one of us woke up with coughs, stomach aches, stuffy noses. I turned off the A/C and opened the windows and an hour and a half later we all feel fine!

I called our HVAC guy and he's coming out to clean out the unit this afternoon and I'm going to have him check out the duct work as well. He said having stuff in the A/C unit could definitely make us sick. YUCK.

Thank you for prompting me to look at causes like this. I can't wait until it's cleaned up and we can all be healthy again!

Old 05-03-2010, 11:58 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,655,639 times
I am glad you are doing that! Let us know what he finds.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:21 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Quote:
Update:

There is something either in the HVAC system or in the ducts. There is a terrible smell coming out when the A/C first starts up. We had it on overnight last night and every one of us woke up with coughs, stomach aches, stuffy noses. I turned off the A/C and opened the windows and an hour and a half later we all feel fine!

I called our HVAC guy and he's coming out to clean out the unit this afternoon and I'm going to have him check out the duct work as well. He said having stuff in the A/C unit could definitely make us sick. YUCK.

Thank you for prompting me to look at causes like this. I can't wait until it's cleaned up and we can all be healthy again!

Please report back to us and let us know what and how it was found. Also, how old is the house/system you are using? I definitely need to checkout the HVAC system on whatever house we end up renting. Thanks!

Old 05-03-2010, 03:26 PM

OK, here's my report.

He essentially just found a dirty system. He said he didn't see any mold, but it was kind of yucky with debris of whatever kind. He had some kind of cleaner and he scrubbed way deep in the ducts and cleaned out the unit.

AK: The house was built in the 50's but has had a lot of updating. I really don't know how old the system is. I didn't think to ask the guy if he could tell. Good idea to check it out before moving in! We got stuck with broken pipes, sewage backing up in the shower, a broken heat pump, among other things. The thing is, there was no way to check in advance because the electricity and the water were off. Luckily, once we got through the idiot property manager and started talking directly to the landlord, things have been going a lot more smoothly. So maybe if you aren't able to check on certain things before moving in you could somehow include that in the lease? Even though the LL here seems like a good guy, it's sometimes been a little difficult to get him to do what needs to be done. The more specific the lease is, the better, I'm learning!

ETA: I am breathing better already and my little ones say their tummies don't hurt anymore I wouldn't even use the air conditioning if it were just me, but my kids and hubby get hot.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:41 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Not sure if you have this but we had a drain in the unit which was just a PVC pipe where the water would drain outside. My DH would put clorox in the drain every couple of months. Our drain was behind the filter inside the house.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:17 AM

371 posts, read 1,191,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Not sure if you have this but we had a drain in the unit which was just a PVC pipe where the water would drain outside. My DH would put clorox in the drain every couple of months. Our drain was behind the filter inside the house.
Yes, always check your AC unit drain, especially if you have a unit in the attic! We moved into this house with an AC unit in the attic. After having had the unit checked out, we developed a leak in the ceiling and along a wall. Turns out some tiny pieces of insulation had gotten knocked into the drip pan under the ac unit and clogged up the drain pipe. The drip pain filled up and over flowed causing the ceiling damage. My husband now does the bleach thing plus always makes sure that the drain pipe that goes to the outside is always dripping water and is not clogged up.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:19 AM

I checked and we do have that PVC pipe drain thingy. I think the drip pan is in the attic and I'm not sure the guy that came yesterday got to that. I just turned the air on and it stinks again/still!! It's much better, but still I'm not sure if I should call this guy back, find someone else, or beg my hubby to climb up there and fix it himself.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:47 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Quote:
I checked and we do have that PVC pipe drain thingy. I think the drip pan is in the attic and I'm not sure the guy that came yesterday got to that. I just turned the air on and it stinks again/still!! It's much better, but still I'm not sure if I should call this guy back, find someone else, or beg my hubby to climb up there and fix it himself.

Call them back and see if they will come out for free and do the bleach for free (this will let you know if this is a great company or not. If they do, keep their card for future use). Good Luck!

Old 05-04-2010, 04:34 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Is the big coil unit in the attic or in the garage? Ours was in the garage but the pipe was behind the filter. The pipe drain went outside..it does get gooky stuff in it.

http://www.dannylipford.com/home-imp...ain-clean-out/

If it still smells I agree call them back and tell them they didn't fix the problem. They shouldn't charge you and if they try I would speak to the mgr or owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay