Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 03:34 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,589,159 times

Advertisements

We moved here last December and I swear I've been sick since January. I might have a string of a few good days here and there, but between myself and the kids, there's been very little good health. We've had everything from stomach flu to ear infection to bronchitis and more.

Has anyone else had this happen after coming to this area? Honestly I was hoping for less illness in a warmer climate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 04:04 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,634,129 times
You just might be adjusting to a new climate. I remember when I was first training for my career at Boston's Children's Hospital, I was sick for a full month, then was fine. After my training ended, I started working in a hospital in NJ. Again, I was sick for a full month, then never really had a problem. When I first moved down here, I felt very very dizzy whenever I laid down or turned my head. It happened for several weeks. It happened again a year later. It has not happened again since. My husband got sick more often down here for the first few years. Now he does not get as sick.

Have you made sure your dwelling isn't sick? Have you checked for mold? I don't think that would cause stomach bug, but the other stuff it might. You might have just gotten the stomach bug because there was a stomach bug going around not long ago.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:11 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,061,284 times
Sorry to hear that, you should do as annaegel suggests, get the house checked out. Is it a rental?
The whole pollen thing is a pain at this time though. Lots of bugs roam around the county during snowbird season too, with all the imported viruses.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:18 PM

Thanks!

I have not checked for mold, and yes, it is a rental. Can I inspect the house myself? Or, rather, ask my hubby to do it...... It has never smelled like mold, but I don't know if that matters. The windows have been wide open all the time lately, but I don't know if that mitigates the effects of mold or not.

One thing we did find, when we went to change the filter for the time when we want to use the air conditioner is that there was no filter in there at all, and we did run the heat a bit when it was really cold.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:21 PM

17,453 posts, read 38,833,992 times
Actually, quite a bit of colds and flus have been making the round. My husband had it twice, I am now getting it, everyone in his office has it, etc. etc.

I think you may have just picked up some germs this time of year.

Don't worry, it will get better!

Old 04-14-2010, 06:14 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,634,129 times
The daughter of a friend of mine was in a dorm in Orlando. After she moved in, she started getting sick. She couldn't figure out what was making her so sick for months. She was in the doctors office so often. She finally hired an inspector to come in and take a look. The inspector (which cost about $200), found a black mold problem. He recommended she through away ALL her clothes and items that could not be bleached. She too never smelled anything! I am not suggesting you have that, but for peace of mind, it may be worth it. Find out from neighbors if they know why the previous renters moved out and if there has been a problem with mold. Maybe you can wait a little bit and see if everyone is starting to get better.

My friends daughter took her inspectors report and showed it to the front office. She wanted to get out of her lease without penalty. They fought it at first, but when she threatend to get a lawyer, they let her out of the lease.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:33 PM

Hmmm, I hope Gypsychic is right!

We're renting a house, and we do know why the previous renters moved out. They were evicted for not paying rent. Then the house sat empty for four to six months (that part worries me a bit).

Man, I hope there's no black mold (or any other color mold) here! Throw away all your clothes!? Yikes! I wonder if the owners would be held liable for all of that? I've got six kids with lots of clothes!

OK, I guess I'll wait a little while longer and see how it goes. If we keep getting sick, I will hire an inspector.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:43 PM

789 posts, read 1,849,090 times
Have you checked for Chinese Drywall?

Old 04-14-2010, 06:47 PM

I thought about Chinese Drywall, but I thought for sure we would have smelled it, considering how long it had been closed up before we moved in. I'd read that it smells really bad? I could be wrong about that though.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:47 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,061,284 times
Would probably have to be a newer home for chinese drywall, is it a newer home?
A Complete Guide to Mold Inspection, Mold Testing, Mold Cleanup & Mold Prevention Advice from an Expert read this for some advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay