U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-15-2010, 07:16 AM
Caa Caa started this thread
 
940 posts, read 2,279,726 times
Reputation: 258

Advertisements

Hi y'all! In August my family and I are heading to the Tampa area to look around. Actually more like Palm Harbor and Tarpon Srpings. We want to look at a few neighborhoods, some stores(to see what is out there), kids play places and dance, drama, gymnastics places for our child and shops, some schools(even though they are closed) and just kinda drive around. Any suggestions as to how to go about this without getting into "nasty" areas or pricey areas(like 400,000 homes). I really don't want to contact a realtor as we will only hav a day(we used to live in south Florida and had checked the area out years ago, but want to again). Any one have any neighborhood suggestions or places to go so we can get an idea of the local people etc??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-15-2010, 07:58 AM
 
35,319 posts, read 44,598,180 times
Reputation: 30790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
Hi y'all! In August my family and I are heading to the Tampa area to look around. Actually more like Palm Harbor and Tarpon Srpings. We want to look at a few neighborhoods, some stores(to see what is out there), kids play places and dance, drama, gymnastics places for our child and shops, some schools(even though they are closed) and just kinda drive around. Any suggestions as to how to go about this without getting into "nasty" areas or pricey areas(like 400,000 homes). I really don't want to contact a realtor as we will only hav a day(we used to live in south Florida and had checked the area out years ago, but want to again). Any one have any neighborhood suggestions or places to go so we can get an idea of the local people etc??
I think you should take more than a day to check out various neighborhoods.If you havent been to the area for a few years you will be amazed at how much its grown and along with it the traffic chaos.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2010, 08:38 AM
Caa Caa started this thread
 
940 posts, read 2,279,726 times
Reputation: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I think you should take more than a day to check out various neighborhoods.If you havent been to the area for a few years you will be amazed at how much its grown and along with it the traffic chaos.
I know we should, but we have family in south Florida that we are also going to visit(it has been almost a year since our daughter saw her grandparents) and we really don't want to spend too much time in Tampa area as we only have 5 days there in Florida and we are driving from Louisiana. I am interested to see what and how much it has changed. Thanks for your reply!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2010, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Pinellas County
1,447 posts, read 2,663,487 times
Reputation: 1036
agree with jambo you are going to struggle to even get a feel of how it is now. but wish you luck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Caa Caa started this thread
 
940 posts, read 2,279,726 times
Reputation: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
agree with jambo you are going to struggle to even get a feel of how it is now. but wish you luck.
Thanks for the reply, I wish we had more time, but more than likely, we will stay here in Louisiana, we are just making sure that this is where we really want to be. Our family is in Florida(Cape Coral and Boynton beach) and we live so far that sometimes we feel guilty for missing family events, but we are really happy here...it is a hard choice to make, but at least we are going to check it out even for just a day-
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2010, 03:50 PM
 
Location: Myrtle Beach
3,380 posts, read 8,243,898 times
Reputation: 2930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
Thanks for the reply, I wish we had more time, but more than likely, we will stay here in Louisiana, we are just making sure that this is where we really want to be. Our family is in Florida(Cape Coral and Boynton beach) and we live so far that sometimes we feel guilty for missing family events, but we are really happy here...it is a hard choice to make, but at least we are going to check it out even for just a day-

How long is the drive from Tampa to New Orleans? And how is the drive? Might be meeting up with family there this fall for another family reunion destination vacation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Caa Caa started this thread
 
940 posts, read 2,279,726 times
Reputation: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
How long is the drive from Tampa to New Orleans? And how is the drive? Might be meeting up with family there this fall for another family reunion destination vacation.
Probably about 10 hours or so. New Orleans is a great place, we love going there despite the shootings that are common. It is a neat city with so much to do!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2010, 07:03 AM
Caa Caa started this thread
 
940 posts, read 2,279,726 times
Reputation: 258
Is Palm Harbor nice, but snobby?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2010, 07:36 AM
 
Location: FL
216 posts, read 769,091 times
Reputation: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
Hi y'all! In August my family and I are heading to the Tampa area to look around. Actually more like Palm Harbor and Tarpon Srpings. We want to look at a few neighborhoods, some stores(to see what is out there), kids play places and dance, drama, gymnastics places for our child and shops, some schools(even though they are closed) and just kinda drive around. Any suggestions as to how to go about this without getting into "nasty" areas or pricey areas(like 400,000 homes). I really don't want to contact a realtor as we will only hav a day(we used to live in south Florida and had checked the area out years ago, but want to again). Any one have any neighborhood suggestions or places to go so we can get an idea of the local people etc??
One day is not going to give you an accurate assessment of the area.
Schools were not an issue for me - my kids are grown - but being in a nice area and close to beaches, culture, shopping, nightlife was important.
Before I moved here I came down for a week and looked around different parts of Tampa Bay and I know I didn't cover all of it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2010, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Myrtle Beach
3,380 posts, read 8,243,898 times
Reputation: 2930
From what I hear, Palm Harbor is a nice community with a fair amount of families. I have not heard that it is snobby.

I have thought about sending my wife down with a friend a week before our move date to look around, that was until I was informed it will take a minimum of 15 business days for our household goods to arrive. So, we'll have 3 weeks to get a taste of the Tampa Bay area and check out neighborhoods we may want to live in. I think we will spend the first week driving around, trying to become familiar with the areas. After that I hope we have a better feeling and will try to rent something in the areas we like ASAP. I'm picturing a week of sleeping on the kids' beds that we be buying when we get there. Hahaha, moving is such an adventure. I love it!!

Neighborhoods I plan on looking at:

Dunedin
Palm Harbor
Seminole
Oldsmar
Brandon
Riverview
Town 'N' Country
Carrollwood

I doubt I am going to find what I am looking for in the last two. But they are closer to my work.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:13 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top