Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 12:37 PM

129 posts, read 304,861 times

Advertisements

I have been researching places to move after my lease is up here in Memphis and after searching the coastal Carolina areas and realizing that area may not be what I am looking for, I decided to relocate my search to FL. After narrowing my search down to the gulf coast i found Tampa! Now, just from pictures and reading, I feel like this would be a perfect fit for me, my boyfriend, and our "fur child" (puppy ). I am wondering if anyone can help me narrow down an area to live. We are both 25, love the water, love being outdoors, love music (rock type), love going out and having fun... i guess we really aren't that picky. As far as jobs, we havent really looked into that yet. My boyfriend is a logistics account manager right now, and I have a strong history in customer service related jobs. We are looking for an area with people our age, but it also has to be somewhere safe. I realize that is gets hot in Tampa and that does not bother me. I moved from Ohio to Memphis, so I have become good at adjusting to different climates.

I'm also wondering if Tampa is pretty dog friendly. I have read that there are dog friendly beaches around the area which I would love!

I would also like to know if there is any advice for someone who has never lived in FL from people that have been there forever or even just a short period of time. Are the people friendly? Are there alot of 20-something aged people there? Thats really all i can think of right now but if anyone needs any more info to better guide me in my decision, let me know!!! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 03:57 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,320,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natsherr View Post
I have been researching places to move after my lease is up here in Memphis and after searching the coastal Carolina areas and realizing that area may not be what I am looking for, I decided to relocate my search to FL. After narrowing my search down to the gulf coast i found Tampa! Now, just from pictures and reading, I feel like this would be a perfect fit for me, my boyfriend, and our "fur child" (puppy ). I am wondering if anyone can help me narrow down an area to live. We are both 25, love the water, love being outdoors, love music (rock type), love going out and having fun... i guess we really aren't that picky. As far as jobs, we havent really looked into that yet. My boyfriend is a logistics account manager right now, and I have a strong history in customer service related jobs. We are looking for an area with people our age, but it also has to be somewhere safe. I realize that is gets hot in Tampa and that does not bother me. I moved from Ohio to Memphis, so I have become good at adjusting to different climates.

I'm also wondering if Tampa is pretty dog friendly. I have read that there are dog friendly beaches around the area which I would love!

I would also like to know if there is any advice for someone who has never lived in FL from people that have been there forever or even just a short period of time. Are the people friendly? Are there alot of 20-something aged people there? Thats really all i can think of right now but if anyone needs any more info to better guide me in my decision, let me know!!! Thanks in advance!
Lots of water here! Lol...Lots of younger people and pets and dog parks. You would fit right in. However, my biggest advice...do not relocate without assuring you have a job FIRST. We have 12.5% unemployment in the area (Over 1 million people without a job right now). It would be highly suggested to know you have at least ONE of you with solid income before you do anything drastic. Are you looking to rent, or buy? There are other posts here with excellent advice on where to locate in Tampa, just poke around. No need repeating all their excellent input. Definitely need you to narrow what you are looking to do with a few specifics so others can guide you. The realtors frequent posts here and will be glad to steer you along the way. Good luck to you both. Sound like an awesome couple.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:13 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
I agree with Deef.. you need to find a job first. There are lots of things to do in Tampa Bay. Lots of apts are dog friendly unless you have a PB or other dogs considered dangerous. (I don't agree but that is the way it is).

If you don't mind summer lasting for 6-8 months then you should be fine. Lived in Tampa 30 years, use to sail a Hobie on the Bay and the Gulf. Lots of things to do, you just have to look.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:07 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,079,153 times
St Pete loves dogs (and people)
but do get a job first.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:55 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
yep better have a job first because I just moved from the tampa bay area because we could not afford to buy a decent home there w/o one hell of a house payment along with property insurance and believe me when I say we did research and we did look and my sister has a house there but it was the only thing she could afford and it was a habitat house and even still the repairs on it because of mold and other crap have been an issue for her . I hate the fact that she has to be in that house w/o air conditioning because it broke and now because of her sky rocketing property insurance she cannot afford to have it fixed . Our mom still lives there too and she has one heck of a property insurance bill too and she lives in another county so you see no matter where you live property taxes will kill you and home insurance with hurricane coverage will do so also . So there you have it . I wish I could convince my mom and sister to move but they wont because they have grandkids now and great grandkids so I dont think they will ever move away unless their kids do .

Old 04-23-2010, 09:19 AM

4 posts, read 7,049 times
We're in the same boat...
Me and hubby are decided to make the move from Boston to Tampa/St Pete and we're trying really hard to make things right. We even spent a few days in the area to make sure that this would be the right move and we fell in love with EVERYTHING! it's a perfect place to live and start a family... But the problem is the "find a job first" part!!! I've received 4 job offers (I'm a foreclosure legal assistant) but when the employers found out that I'm still in Boston they changed their minds. Any advice???::

Old 04-23-2010, 10:27 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,655,241 times
Check out this website. It shows places you can take your pets here in Florida. Dog parks, dogs allowed beaches, hotels, etc. FloridaPets.net - The Web's #1 resource for all that is pet friendly in Florida

I would think you would like St. Pete.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:45 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasaboston View Post
Me and hubby are decided to make the move from Boston to Tampa/St Pete and we're trying really hard to make things right. We even spent a few days in the area to make sure that this would be the right move and we fell in love with EVERYTHING! it's a perfect place to live and start a family... But the problem is the "find a job first" part!!! I've received 4 job offers (I'm a foreclosure legal assistant) but when the employers found out that I'm still in Boston they changed their minds. Any advice???::

Sounds like 4 job offers is good. I think with you being a foreclosure legal assistant you would have plenty of opportunities in Florida as a whole. I say, no risk, no reward. You have a desired skill (unlike many who want to move down with no job and are admin assistants, servers, retail, etc.) for the area. I say, save up moving expenses and 3+ months of living expenses, move down and call those 4 job offers back!

I think you are in a much better situation than most that think about moving to Tampa without employment.

**NOTE - I do not live in Tampa, I am moving in July and have gainful employment. I may not, I repeat, NOT be the best person to take advice from in regards to the Tampa Bay Region or Florida for that matter.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:31 PM

129 posts, read 304,861 times
I would never move until I know that either my boyfriend or myself had a secure job lined up BEFORE we packed up and moved!

To answer an earlier question, we would be renting, not buying. We are not planning on buying a house anytime soon. We also are not planning on having any kids any time soon. So for us, schools and family oriented neighborhoods are not that big of a deal. Our dog is a 25 pound french bulldog and I don't think hes growing anymore. I know alot of apartments don't allow certain types of "aggressive" dogs, but he's a friendly little bulldog! We just want to be somwhere where there are people our age, outdoor activities, and entertainment...

Right now in Memphis, we pay $1130 for a 2bd/2bath in downtown. We just love having the river on one side and the downtown scene on the other.

We are currently planning a trip for September (sometime around Labor Day) to come down and check things out. I've read alot about people saying that the South Tampa area would be good. So as for the area, is it basically south of I275 from Old Tampa Bay on the west to Hillsborough Bay on the East?

Old 04-23-2010, 12:45 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasaboston View Post
If you have employment where you are i would stay there and do a little more research of the area. A few days in the area is nice indeed but your not going to learn much about the area in a few days.This area is really nice after a winter in New England. Do yourself a favor and do all the homework you can about this area. If you can afford to move down and survive without working for a few months that would be awsome. It takes a while to really figure this place out. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay