Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 08:28 PM

427 posts, read 1,089,207 times

Advertisements

I hope the Tampa Bay Rays lose plenty of games early on this season so everybody can chill out. That way they don't get there hopes up for the playoffs. My dad is all into it this season and hasn't missed a game yet. Every night he's in the other room cursing or getting happy about the game. Then he drags me into it, referring to the team as "We", "Us", "Our" pitcher etc. I just try to nod along with him. I'm not a fan of baseball. I don't even like the sounds of the game, like the wooden bat striking the ball or the catcher's mitt when the ball lands in it. Then there's that dumb organ they play. But what's up with that announcers voice? He sounds like he has a cold and his "S''s sound more like a "Sh". Are these old fashioned sounds supposed to give me the warm and fuzzies? I'd like to tell my dad how I feel about the Rays and this city in general. But I'm too scared to. Can you imagine that, I'm a grown man of 36!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 06:24 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,234,143 times
You should be happy that your father has something to keep him entertained and has something to build a routine around. It is hard on sportsfans and family of sportsfans when they build up the anticipation of winning, then lose. Fortunately for your dad, and unfortunately for you, the Rays have started out very well.

The better the Rays are, the more people go to the games at STP and the more money gets to that economy. We really need more attendance at the ballpark to keep the team around.

I'm hoping the Rays continue their winning ways.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:23 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,314,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sfl View Post
referring to the team as "We", "Us", "Our" pitcher etc.
I also never quite got that symbiotic fan mentality. But it can be fun to watch (the fans if not the games). I like when they paint their faces. Maybe I just need to drink more beer.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:00 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,085,110 times
A good baseball team can really unite a town. when I lived in Seattle the Mariners won a record of a 116 games in a season. Everywhere you went people were talking about the Mariners. Its a lot of fun and brings a town together. I hope the rays start doing well, I'll be watching a couple games for sure. I love spending a day at the ballpark. Never been to a dome though and am hoping that doesn't take too much away from the 'park setting' that many fields have.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:12 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,234,143 times
Fans of teams have always called them "we" because fans are a major part of a team's success. Ever heard of the "12th man" in football? Can you imagine any professional baseball team playing in an empty stadium? Get used to "we, us, etc" - its part of our sports culture.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:43 PM

427 posts, read 1,089,207 times
It's not part of my culture. I actually hope the team would leave. Then they can board up that white trash watering hole "Fergs" too. I don't have to get used to anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Fans of teams have always called them "we" because fans are a major part of a team's success. Ever heard of the "12th man" in football? Can you imagine any professional baseball team playing in an empty stadium? Get used to "we, us, etc" - its part of our sports culture.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:36 AM

749 posts, read 2,427,876 times
I love the Rays. If I don't watch the entire game I at least set the remote to last channel to see what's going on if I'm watching another show during commercials. It's especially enjoyable lately watching the Red Sox fans all bundled up and freezing with nothing to cheer about.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:00 AM

216 posts, read 826,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
I like when they paint their faces. Maybe I just need to drink more beer.
LOLOL ------- Thanks, needed the laugh!

marilyn

Old 04-19-2010, 08:05 AM

216 posts, read 826,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sfl View Post
I'd like to tell my dad how I feel about the Rays and this city in general. But I'm too scared to. Can you imagine that, I'm a grown man of 36!
Kudos to your dad for being able to have fun! It sounds to me like he's trying to bond with you via baseball, what's wrong with that?
As far as you being scared? Please tell me you're kidding; if not perhaps grow some b****.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:12 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,063,126 times
You think he is bad, you need to be in our house come June 11th to July 11th!
Still it's only once in 4 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay