U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 04:22 PM

3,380 posts, read 8,186,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
I have saved enough money since moving to Pasco in 04 i could build another house. 18k a year adds up.

Sounds like you have enougg money put aside to be self insured! That Works!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 05:30 PM

16,226 posts, read 10,966,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
Sounds like you have enougg money put aside to be self insured! That Works!
I just don't see a cat 4 or 5 storm coming in from the gulf anytime soon. The last hit in the Tampa area was 1921. Not saying it won't ever happen, could be this year or 50 years from now.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:12 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,014,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyfinn View Post

This makes me sick. It really does. Anyone know of any GOOD, STABLE (homeowners) insurance companies that are writing in Tampa these days?
Try American Strategic Insurance(ASI). You can purchase insurance thro' AAA.

Link: American Strategic Insurance

Old 04-21-2010, 10:36 AM

14,500 posts, read 20,149,495 times
I was buying a home there until I lost my job and had to move in with my sister . The insurance company I used was Pennisular . try them they might be able to help . I now live in Ohio and dont think I could move back to florida unless something happened to my husband and then I would move back for a while to my sisters and she would be glad to have me back there with her . at least her house does not have much of a house payment or insurance cost thank god .I just hope she does not loose her job since the county she works for is talking about cutting all county workers .

Old 04-21-2010, 07:00 PM

26,753 posts, read 41,129,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
Try American Strategic Insurance(ASI). You can purchase insurance thro' AAA.

Link: American Strategic Insurance
I contacted AAA yesterday and got a quote...

They asked me for my car insurance as well and told me the 2 together would make a better deal...The deal they gave me was my car ins. went up by $ 200.- per 6 months and my HO ins. went up by $ 900.00 so what a deal

I rather keep my 21 century car ins.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:29 PM

144 posts, read 314,399 times
My wife and I will be visiting the area in the summer to check out areas in the St Pete vicinity to purchase a retirement home. My biggest fear is that I can afford the home but have a problem with the insurance. When looking at homes will be buyers agent have access to the cost of insuring a particular home? In selecting a home I would need to know the property and school tax, water/sewer municipal fees which would be part of the public record but after reading this thread it looks like HO insurance would add to the cost of maintaining the house.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:19 AM

8,488 posts, read 18,546,890 times
A buyers agent could only give you a very rough guess and it would definitely be a big guess.

Best bet would be to either get quotes before writing an offer on a home or write a contingency into the P&S contract based on you getting an acceptable insurance quote. You would be better off going with getting a quote before hand.

You best bet is looking at homes built after 2001, there is a big difference in cost.

Here are a few differences that can reduce your insurance greatly.
Homes built after 2001 up to 65% discount
Hip roof up to 47% discount
Storm shutters or impact resistant glass up to 44% discount
Roof deck attachment up to 9% discount
Roof covering up to 11% discount
Roof to wall connectors up to 35% discount

Some of these discounts you would not be able to find out unless you has a wind mitigation inspection, some inspectors are qualified to do these so when you have your home inspected you could search for an inspector that also does wind mitigation.

I know one inspector that charges $150 more on his inspection for the wind mitigation but the great part is he only charges that if he is able to state it meets the criteria to save you money on the wind mitigation. If he doesn't find the upgrades he does not charge you.

Just to give you an idea on the savings. I pay $1345 for $300,000 in coverage. My credits were $1424 so without the credits I would be paying $2769.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:46 PM

26,753 posts, read 41,129,496 times
I have requested so many quotes and I don't understand why it takes some agents over a week to get back to me...are they so busy or lazy....?

Old 04-26-2010, 12:51 PM

3,380 posts, read 8,186,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I have requested so many quotes and I don't understand why it takes some agents over a week to get back to me...are they so busy or lazy....?

Probably busy since I have seen several people say their insurance is being dropped. When I was an agent, homeowners insurance paid little in ways of commissions. Than again, I would imagine since your premiums are much higher, it pays better. If you want to get a quote really quick, tell them you need a quote for your house, auto and life insurance. Once you say life insurance they will call you back quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay