Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 08:31 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,319,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkmcdowel View Post
I can't say that I'm too surprised. I'm here for grad school It's safe to say that in the 2 years we've been here, a majority of my cohort/colleagues have not seen gators either. Along the same lines, they are not nature-lovers like me. I've been to several parks in the area...heck, I've even seen gators in ponds around libraries I've studied at. I think most don't take the time to appreciate nature, and thus miss what it has to offer.

It's one of two things, they are either trying to see them from their couch OR they are not stopping to smell the flowers(or see the gators). I've been in parks with people who are walking nature trails and overhead their conversations about never seeing snakes or gators and have stopped them and been able to point out one of each within 5mins of the conversation with them. They were amazed! People are so busy they don't stop and take in what is around them. They are walking right by life of all kinds! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 08:49 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,605,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
It's one of two things, they are either trying to see them from their couch OR they are not stopping to smell the flowers(or see the gators). I've been in parks with people who are walking nature trails and overhead their conversations about never seeing snakes or gators and have stopped them and been able to point out one of each within 5mins of the conversation with them. They were amazed! People are so busy they don't stop and take in what is around them. They are walking right by life of all kinds! lol

I really think this is the case. It's too bad people miss so much!

Old 04-25-2010, 09:09 AM

165 posts, read 516,188 times
I haven't seen this mentioned, but within an hour or so of tamps is: Welcome to Gatorland, the Alligator Capital of the World and Orlando's Best Half Day Attraction!

You can see them and learn about them. They also have a special for Fla. residents through the beginning of May.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongedaddy View Post
I haven't seen this mentioned, but within an hour or so of tamps is: Welcome to Gatorland, the Alligator Capital of the World and Orlando's Best Half Day Attraction!

You can see them and learn about them. They also have a special for Fla. residents through the beginning of May.

I have been there, YEARS ago, simply because I was curious what the place was like. I wasn't impressed. I hope it has improved, but you don't need to pay to see them. They are everywhere. As far as education on them, maybe it is worth the trip but I just can't justify the cost based on my visit. Has it improved? Did you visit recently? Was it worth your time and money now?

Old 04-25-2010, 11:34 AM

165 posts, read 516,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
I have been there, YEARS ago, simply because I was curious what the place was like. I wasn't impressed. I hope it has improved, but you don't need to pay to see them. They are everywhere. As far as education on them, maybe it is worth the trip but I just can't justify the cost based on my visit. Has it improved? Did you visit recently? Was it worth your time and money now?
I have not gone, but have heard some positive reports.

I do agree with others who have talked about Lettuce Lake park. When we go we almost always see a gator.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongedaddy View Post
I have not gone, but have heard some positive reports.

I do agree with others who have talked about Lettuce Lake park. When we go we almost always see a gator.

Yes, Lettuce Lake is a sure fire bet for Gators and Snakes (and turtles too)

Old 04-26-2010, 06:45 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
There are gators in the lakes across from the old Tampa Bay mall in the office complex. You could hear them in mating season. One time one got confused and ended up on the steps of a building. They also would sun themselves on the side of the lake.

Be careful especially at dawn and dusk around lakes. There have been many alligator attacks especially if you have a dog with you.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:21 PM

CHECK IT OUT!! Large Alligator is the unexpected front door guest this morning in Clearwater...
Video | tampabay.com - St. Petersburg Times and tbt*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay