U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 06:37 PM

9 posts, read 14,729 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: orphaned quote

Some places just aren't for everyone. I was born and raised in Satellite Beach, FL, now a freshman at USF so I call Tampa home for the time being. Despite living here my entire life I have been "outside". I have family in PA, NY, MO, VA, WV, and a few other states. I also lived in the UK for a brief part of my childhood and have visited Sweden and Finland. Do I think I could be happy in other places? Probably. But I enjoy sports, surfing, friends, warm weather, etc. All of which Florida can provide me. I am sure there are Floridians living in other states that wish they could return to FL. It's all about where your head's at.

Best of luck in wherever you end up!

Last edited by Keeper; 04-19-2010 at 05:20 AM..

Old 04-18-2010, 06:47 PM

25 posts, read 54,359 times
As a fellow northerner, I would love to know where you lived before to think that real estate, roads, schools, people and weather are going to be the utopia that Florida wasn't for you. Our housing market in NY is ridiculously bad, our schools have been on the downslide for years, and the headline in our local paper was that we are #1 for property taxes in the entire country - almost the entire top 50 counties for highest property taxes were in NY. And no, I don't live in metro NYC - I live 2 1/2 hrs to the northeast just over the PA border in a little city in Upstate NY.

And don't get me started on the job market and unemployment rate.

Good luck not finding EXACTLY what you are running away from.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:52 PM

2,360 posts, read 4,681,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinner View Post
My family and I have been here for 6 years and we are so sick of it. In my opinion, Florida is a dead state that will never recover in my lifetime. The people, schools, real estate, weather, roads; everything. We want to move back up north but b/c of our underwater home we are having some issues with getting rid of it. Does anyone have any advise as to how to help us get out of here as quick as possible? Are there any other people that feel the same way I do? Thank you for your time.
First of all ;congratulations on making it for 6 years. That's a lot longer than a lot of people make it. At least it gave you enough time to make a honest list of the pro's and the cons. It takes a few years to really figure this place out. Florida definatly isn't for everybody.A lot of people love living in Florida and thats great cause somebody's gotta live here. I guess it all boils down to, is what you have in Florida worth what you had to give up where ever you came from to live here. You can usually answer your own question. Good Luck

Old 04-18-2010, 06:56 PM

14,267 posts, read 16,689,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
You could ask a realtor about a quick sale. Quick sales won't affect your credit, so you can buy a home when you move back.
Not entirely true. A Short Sale won't have the same negative effect that a foreclosure will, but it will show on your credit report as a pre-foreclosure in redemption. This is of course much better than a foreclosure or walking away, but expect to lose an average of 100 points off your FICO. I never heard of a short sale when I was under water 16 years ago. I sold at a loss and worked out a payment plan with the lender. Guess I'm a fool.

Oh, regarding "sick of Florida" I am ambivalent about that. I love the beautiful weather and the sunshine, but I often miss Boston. (she writes, while scratching her mosquito bites)

Old 04-18-2010, 06:56 PM

26,766 posts, read 41,288,706 times
Quote:
My family and I have been here for 6 years and we are so sick of it. In my opinion, Florida is a dead state that will never recover in my lifetime. The people, schools, real estate, weather, roads; everything. We want to move back up north but b/c of our underwater home we are having some issues with getting rid of it. Does anyone have any advise as to how to help us get out of here as quick as possible? Are there any other people that feel the same way I do? Thank you for your time.
Pack a suitcase, get in your car and take your negative thoughts with you...if you can't be happy with sun, palm trees, etc...then it is you who is the problem and just leave, one less negative person out of Florida .....Good Luck

Old 04-18-2010, 07:52 PM

16 posts, read 32,825 times
Florida was nice, for a while. But greed and political corruption has taken its toll on the state.

If I were younger, I'd be out of here in a flash. But as it is, I'm just too old and weary to relocate. I think Florida sucks and the passivity of its inhabitants, me included I suppose, has allowed the state to deteriorate to its current condition.

If Florida's politicians tried to pull the crap they pull down down here in Vermont, New Hampshire or Massachusetts, they'd be IMPRISONED!

The only state I can think of that is more corrupt is Louisiana, but the citizens there expect it. Florida is getting to be the same way.

Virtually EVERY DAY there is a new story of curruption in Tallahassee. There is so much of it we are getting numb to it and just shrug are shoulders with a "So what else is new?" attitude. It's pathetic, really.

If someone organized an armed posse to drive to Tallahassee to go talk to the thieves up there I'd consider going along for the ride. Our greedy leaders don't give a damn about us.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:22 PM

46 posts, read 115,174 times
[SIZE=2]No.Ewww go back to the horrible cold northeast where the weather sucks up the life out of souls.
[/SIZE]

Old 04-19-2010, 12:40 AM

1,730 posts, read 4,248,485 times
Good riddance. I wish everyone who hated Florida like you do would leave. I do however feel sorry for the folks who are going to recieve you. You sound like a real winner.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:45 AM

162 posts, read 195,834 times
I'll be glad when you are GONE! Sarasota is one of the nicest places I've ever been.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:22 AM

16,735 posts, read 11,160,690 times
Quote:
I feel the same way, but sure as heck don't plan on moving north. Give me Cuba or some nice island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or