U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 04:09 PM

239 posts, read 533,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
I hate negative threads such as this one.
Negative posts are very useful. Someone who may be thinking of moving there, can learn a lot from the people who live there -- and that includes both the good and the bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 05:29 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,139,704 times
that everywhere I drive too here takes me on another beach. Lack of scenery for me.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:15 AM

4,091 posts, read 5,048,223 times
New Yorkers... Then Nebraska Ave.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:03 AM

80 posts, read 159,346 times
Default Tampa: The Good and the Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
I hate negative threads such as this one.
That's funny Karen! You didn't realize the irony in your above statement. You too are being negative by saying you hate something! LOL.
Negative statements are fine and they are productive so long as one then provides solutions or examples of other things that they love in counter-balance. So let's make a list of both:
About Tampa:
The things I love:
- (this is all of Florida actually) The summer rain storms. They are simply breathtaking and awe inspiring! I would move back just for them alone. And be sure to check out the natural lightning show from a thunderstorm in the distance! And I LOVE hurricane season. Call me nuts. I certainly don't want people to get hurt, but a good Cat 1 coming nearby!? Can you say: "HURRICANE PARTY!?"
- The unique and beautiful ecology. Wetlands, marshes, mangroves, hibiscus, bouganvillea, egrets and herons and aligators and gorgeous oaks with low-hanging moss-covered branches - simply divine.
- Sunrises and especially sunsets.
- The winter weather from November to May. Really really nice.
- Margaritas on Christmas Eve watching the lighted boat parade.
- The new excitement downtown. Pam Iorio is an involved Mayor. Downtown is finally coming alive. People are moving there, Channelside is bustling (which 15 years ago, it was nothing but a concrete slab for cruise ships to dock). There are new restaurants and the Riverwalk stretch is coming along nicely!
- Cuban and Spanish influence and the cuban sandwiches!
- The historic center of Ybor City. (during the day. Night time is scary)
- Hyde Park area is lovely. And Bayshore is gorgeous. (think VERY wealthy with sprawling green lawns, oak trees and plantation style and mediterranean mansions).

Okay - now the bad. No particular order.
- Some of Tampa is pretty, but a lot of Tampa is U-G-L-Y. Hillsborough Ave, Nebraska Ave, Florida Ave. Dale Mabry - just a lot of roads with miles and miles of shopping centers. Really, really ugly.
- All of Florida is, Tampa included - SUPER flat.
- The tap water. EWWWWWWW!
- The natural ground beneath your feet: You CANNOT walk barefoot!
It is all sand with patchy, sharp yucky grass. Even the beautiful green groomed grass you can't walk on. It is super think and spongy. Very weird.
- Sand spurs: little spheres of needles that impale your feet when you step on them. the ground is covered in them.
- Fire ants. Demons. They will swarm up your feet to sting you to a pulp. My mom and my friend both had super bad allergic reactions to being stung.
- Cockroachessssss. OH MAN. The flying Palmetto bugs are particularly disgusting.
- Mosquitoes. How Florida has managed to escape malaria is beyond me.
- Lizards everywhere. Not really an issue, I think they're kind of cute, but you should know.
- This is the biggest one: THE HEAT AND THE HUMIDITY. Oh. My. God.
From May to late October - OPPRESSIVELY, UNBEARABLY HOT. Even in the middle of the night, the air will be super still and you will feel like you are in a sauna. Not even exaggerating. Many nights you could stand outside at 3 am, and INSTANTLY start sweating profusely. Air conditioning IS A MUST! People don't come out in the summer like people don't come out in the winter up north.
- Love bugs. Little disasters. They swarm twice a year, all mated and connected to each other (hence: "love bugs") and your car will be COVERED in their smashed carcasses. Best part? If you don't wash your car IMMEDIATELY your paint will be eaten through. The front end of my car ended up with pin points of paint scrubbed off and one big spot of missing paint.
- The lack of a real cohesive culture. Tampa has everything it needs to be a great city, but for some reason, the town just doesn't have that sense of togetherness or collective pride. It is trying though. It simply is lacks that certain "something."
- The bums! They are everywhere. The library downtown could be a great place to go - if only not for the hundreds of bums who loiter there all day everyday. When you go the only people in there are homeless people. Personally I think the city should mandate no loitering and put these guys to paid cleaning duty for a few hours each day. If you are well enough to surf the net at the library, you are well enough to pick up city trash for a few hours.
- The general overall sense of Jerry Springer-ness. Yes. Most of Tampa is not exactly, let's just say, filled with yuppy types.
- The crime. Well lets see...
I've been knocked out unconscious in Ybor City... (I am a 5'3" 120 lb woman), my friend's car was almost car jacked at a red light, my husband's car has been vandalized, my husband's co-worker's home was burglarized, my dad was mugged and punched in the chest. Another friend was nearly raped in a mall parking lot. A selection of black Americans doing their part to keep stereo types alive I guess. LOL.
- It is not a walking city at all. You MUST drive just about everywhere. Between May and October you wouldn't want to walk anyway because of the heat.
- Speaking of unfortunate stereo types: The child molesters and perverts. They. Are. Everywhere. White males - late twenties to early forties - hate to say: "trailer trash" types... Be alert! Think Carlie Brucia. I was nearly kidnapped when I was 12. I know of several stalking stories including one that happened to me and from several friends.
Speaking of "trailer trash" - Not Tampa so much, but in Pinellas county, HIDEOUS TRAILER PARKS. AWFUL.
- Tampa is NO WHERE NEAR BEACHES, PEOPLE! An hour drive at least.
- Property Taxes and home insurance.
Making this list reminds me I do NOT want to move back!

Old 05-16-2010, 08:13 AM

2,360 posts, read 4,673,119 times
2 or 3 weeks in Feb. will take care of all that good stuff.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:26 AM

16,409 posts, read 11,050,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobirdie View Post
That's funny Karen! You didn't realize the irony in your above statement. You too are being negative by saying you hate something! LOL.
Negative statements are fine and they are productive so long as one then provides solutions or examples of other things that they love in counter-balance. So let's make a list of both:
About Tampa:
The things I love:
- (this is all of Florida actually) The summer rain storms. They are simply breathtaking and awe inspiring! I would move back just for them alone. And be sure to check out the natural lightning show from a thunderstorm in the distance! And I LOVE hurricane season. Call me nuts. I certainly don't want people to get hurt, but a good Cat 1 coming nearby!? Can you say: "HURRICANE PARTY!?"
- The unique and beautiful ecology. Wetlands, marshes, mangroves, hibiscus, bouganvillea, egrets and herons and aligators and gorgeous oaks with low-hanging moss-covered branches - simply divine.
- The new excitement downtown. Pam Iorio is an involved Mayor. Downtown is finally coming alive. People are moving there, Channelside is bustling (which 15 years ago, it was nothing but a concrete slab for cruise ships to dock). There are new restaurants and the Riverwalk stretch is coming along nicely!
- Hyde Park area is lovely. And Bayshore is gorgeous. (think VERY wealthy with sprawling green lawns, oak trees and plantation style and mediterranean mansions).

- Some of Tampa is pretty, but a lot of Tampa is U-G-L-Y. Hillsborough Ave, Nebraska Ave, Florida Ave. Dale Mabry - just a lot of roads with miles and miles of shopping centers. Really, really ugly.
It is all sand with patchy, sharp yucky grass. Even the beautiful green groomed grass you can't walk on. It is super think and spongy. Very weird.
- Sand spurs: little spheres of needles that impale your feet when you step on them. the ground is covered in them.
- Fire ants. Demons. They will swarm up your feet to sting you to a pulp. My mom and my friend both had super bad allergic reactions to being stung.
- Cockroachessssss. OH MAN. The flying Palmetto bugs are particularly disgusting.
- Lizards everywhere. Not really an issue, I think they're kind of cute, but you should know.
From May to late October - OPPRESSIVELY, UNBEARABLY HOT. Even in the middle of the night, the air will be super still and you will feel like you are in a sauna. Not even exaggerating. Many nights you could stand outside at 3 am, and INSTANTLY start sweating profusely. Air conditioning IS A MUST! People don't come out in the summer like people don't come out in the winter up north.
- Love bugs. Little disasters. They swarm twice a year, all mated and connected to each other (hence: "love bugs") and your car will be COVERED in their smashed carcasses. Best part? If you don't wash your car IMMEDIATELY your paint will be eaten through. The front end of my car ended up with pin points of paint scrubbed off and one big spot of missing paint.
- The lack of a real cohesive culture. Tampa has everything it needs to be a great city, but for some reason, the town just doesn't have that sense of togetherness or collective pride. It is trying though. It simply is lacks that certain "something."
- The bums! They are everywhere. The library downtown could be a great place to go - if only not for the hundreds of bums who loiter there all day everyday. When you go the only people in there are homeless people. Personally I think the city should mandate no loitering and put these guys to paid cleaning duty for a few hours each day. If you are well enough to surf the net at the library, you are well enough to pick up city trash for a few hours.
- The general overall sense of Jerry Springer-ness. Yes. Most of Tampa is not exactly, let's just say, filled with yuppy types.
I've been knocked out unconscious in Ybor City... (I am a 5'3" 120 lb woman), my friend's car was almost car jacked at a red light, my husband's car has been vandalized, my husband's co-worker's home was burglarized, my dad was mugged and punched in the chest. Another friend was nearly raped in a mall parking lot. A selection of black Americans doing their part to keep stereo types alive I guess. LOL.
- It is not a walking city at all. You MUST drive just about everywhere. Between May and October you wouldn't want to walk anyway because of the heat.
- Speaking of unfortunate stereo types: The child molesters and perverts. They. Are. Everywhere. White males - late twenties to early forties - hate to say: "trailer trash" types... Be alert! Think Carlie Brucia. I was nearly kidnapped when I was 12. I know of several stalking stories including one that happened to me and from several friends.
Speaking of "trailer trash" - Not Tampa so much, but in Pinellas county, HIDEOUS TRAILER PARKS. AWFUL.
You got the mid may to mid Oct right, it's pure hell.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:50 PM

427 posts, read 1,003,668 times
I wish men would dress a little nicer when they go out. It gets old seeing tank tops on middle aged men. That's alright for a kid.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:30 PM

393 posts, read 1,389,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sfl View Post
I wish men would dress a little nicer when they go out. It gets old seeing tank tops on middle aged men. That's alright for a kid.
What's wrong with tank tops and flip flops when going out someplace nice? It's convenient and it's hot...so? haha I am joking. I've grown accustomed to the very casual nature of this area and I only am reminded of it when I come home from the Baltimore/D.C. area. People dress a lot differently here.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:39 PM

33 posts, read 114,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobirdie View Post
...The things I love:

You've pretty much summed FL up for me. That's just about how I see it too.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:02 PM

1,730 posts, read 4,242,695 times
The only thing I hate, and I really don't like using the word hate, is when people move here and complain that things are not done the same way it is done where they are originally from. I was in Sweetbay the other day at the deli and this woman was just berating the poor clerk for not slicing the meat the way they do in New York and went on a tangent about how things are done properly up there and not down here. Sadly this is not the first time I have heard these things. So to people moving here, please realize that while we may not do things the same way as where you come from it doesn't nessicarily make us wrong. Just different. Mmmkay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay