U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2010, 05:16 PM

1,738 posts, read 7,685,339 times

Advertisements

are the mosquitoes extra bad or is it just my back yard?
we've removed all plants, no standing water(never was any), gutters cleaned, screens closed, fans on, etc and I'm about to go buy marigolds and other repellant plants but this is INSANE!

ideas?
Thanks!
I actually wondered if the lizards and frogs are at a low due to the colder winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 05:32 PM

16,109 posts, read 10,915,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
are the mosquitoes extra bad or is it just my back yard?
we've removed all plants, no standing water(never was any), gutters cleaned, screens closed, fans on, etc and I'm about to go buy marigolds and other repellant plants but this is INSANE!

ideas?
Thanks!
I actually wondered if the lizards and frogs are at a low due to the colder winter.
The had a somewhat wetter winter than normal and now with the warmer temps the eggs are hatching like crazy.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:44 PM

I found it! stink'n mosquitoes! I was so vigilant in making sure there was no standing water but I neglected the bottom of our wicker chairs which have plastic on the bottom. They must have gotten wet and were the perfect small amount of water for breeding. We sprayed and hopefully they will go away.
I also bought mosquitoe dunks for our pond. if this doesn't work I'm moving to alaska

Old 04-20-2010, 01:11 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,244,340 times
Good call! I never would have thought to look there.

I was wondering, because mosquitoes around our house have been virtually nonexistent--- so far. I don't expect that trend to hold.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:17 PM

3,380 posts, read 8,178,722 times
Quote:
I found it! stink'n mosquitoes! I was so vigilant in making sure there was no standing water but I neglected the bottom of our wicker chairs which have plastic on the bottom. They must have gotten wet and were the perfect small amount of water for breeding. We sprayed and hopefully they will go away.
I also bought mosquitoe dunks for our pond. if this doesn't work I'm moving to alaska

Hahah, if you are moving to Alaska to get away from mosquitoes you are moving to the wrong place. Sure, they aren't around during our long, dark cold winters. But they are out in full force and HUGE in the summers. Than again, it depends where you live in Alaska.

Mosquitoes, Alaska Science Forum

Old 04-21-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
Hahah, if you are moving to Alaska to get away from mosquitoes you are moving to the wrong place. Sure, they aren't around during our long, dark cold winters. But they are out in full force and HUGE in the summers. Than again, it depends where you live in Alaska.

Mosquitoes, Alaska Science Forum
well, then Alaska is out! sounds like Florida right now. lol is there a mosquito-less state(j/k)

Old 04-21-2010, 08:17 AM

15 posts, read 23,278 times
"...is there a mosquito-less state"

Yep, but you have to contend with deer flies, horse flies, biting gnats, and a litnany of other pests. Oh well, pass the Skin So Soft?

Old 04-21-2010, 10:02 AM

3,380 posts, read 8,178,722 times
Quote:
well, then Alaska is out! sounds like Florida right now. lol is there a mosquito-less state(j/k)
I've heard the breeze on some of the smaller islands in Hawaii keeps them at bay.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
I've heard the breeze on some of the smaller islands in Hawaii keeps them at bay.
Hawaii here I come!

Old 04-23-2010, 05:01 PM

357 posts, read 721,845 times
Quote:
Yes -- go to a higher altitude. I don't remember seeing any mosquitoes when I was in Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay