Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 08:23 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,743,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethinktank View Post
Kevin has been a positive, helpful and prolific contributor to this thread-- about the positive aspects of Tampa Bay living. You hi-jacked it, he responded with data. He's not in the wrong.

I spent 30 in the midwest. I lived in downtown Chicago for 8 years (where the cost of living was insane) and Iowa for the last 3 years (where the cost of living is nearly identical).

We just sold a 2 bedroom, 900sq. ft. house in Iowa and are moving into a 3 bedroom, 1200sq. ft. house in Hyde Park. That's a 33% increase in space. Our rent is only 24% higher than our mortgage was in Iowa. So we're moving into one of Tampa's most desirable neighborhoods, to a much larger property, for a marginal increase in cost. We got a steal on this home, but if we're talking anecdotal experience (which is what you're claiming)-- the COL is lower from where I sit.

The only other thing I should point out is the claim that gas is cheaper in the midwest. It is. Nebraska, Iowa, South Dakota-- these states are some of the top producers in the grain belt. These states have used corn subsidies to lower the price in E10 fuel at the pump (marketed as "plus", in contrast to "regular" or "premium"). "Plus" fuel in Iowa and other grain belt states regularly save about $.10 per gallon.

Now ask yourself this-- does that $.10 per gallon savings in the grain belt offset your heating costs from October through April?
I hardly hi-jacked it. Someone discussed COL being low here and I responded.

From my point of view, the COL *is* much higher here. I moved to only a 200 sq feet bigger house, yet my rent is 450 dollars more a month. The house I had in Omaha was prime location too - center of the city where everything was going on. My house here is in Brandon, but really, to get the same size/price comparable house, we would have had to get a home in the ghetto. Salary is about the same here, if i could even find a job. I was making 39k in Omaha, I'll make the same if not a little less here, if I even can find a job. Not many companies want a pregnant woman who can only work for a few months That's what unemployment is for, and thankfully it is a resource I can use.

Regarding the gas, my car is a diesel, so my gas prices are somewhat varied. My winter bill was 80 dollars a month since we wore a lot of clothes in our house to keep the bills low. I have yet to receive my first AC bill here though, but I imagine it will probably be higher than 80 even though we keep it at 79. I'm trying to be optimistic though and hope it ISNT more

Anyway have fun. Since Kevin has preconceived notions about me being "negative" all the time, I'll be skipping out of this thread after this and moving on. Hope you all have a good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 08:27 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,323,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Its quite expensive compared to midwest actually...Gas is about 20 cents more per gallon here. Gas is always a pretty good indication on COL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
omaha has over a million people.
As of this date Omaha Gas Prices - Find the Lowest Gas Prices in Omaha, Nebraska shows (during the last 60 hours) the lowest price to be $2.67 at 14 stations, $2.69 at 16 stations, $2.72 at 1 station, $2.73 at 1 station, $2.74 at 3 stations, $2.77 at 1 station, $2.79 at 3 stations $2.82 at 1 station and $2.84 at 2 stations.

While Tampa Gas Prices - Find the Lowest Gas Prices in Tampa, Florida shows (during the last 36 hours) the lowest price to be $2.52 at 4 stations, $2.53 at 6 stations, $2.54 at 1 station, $2.55 at 7 stations, $2.56 at 2 stations, 2.57 at 2 stations, $2.63 at 1 station, $2.65 at 1 station and $2.67 at 1 station.

So according to Gasbuddy's most recent information, the lowest price reported in Tampa is 5.7% less than Omaha's lowest price and the highest price reported in Tampa is 6% lower than Omaha's highest price reported.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:58 AM

72 posts, read 164,489 times
You did hijack the thread because this is supposed to be about what people love about Tampa Bay. The poster did quantify their COL statement by pointing out they used to live in SoCal. You then chose to compare Tampa to Omaha etc.

Back on track, to the OP . . . I love sunsets on Madeira Beach and dipping my toes in the warm water. As others have pointed out, I also love that we have some great restaurants around here and many choices in types of cuisine.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:31 PM

707 posts, read 1,463,949 times
The bbq is the only thing I like about Florida.... and when its 80 not 100 something.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:07 PM

451 posts, read 931,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
The bbq is the only thing I like about Florida.... and when its 80 not 100 something.
You know Tampa has never broken the 100 degree mark, right?

Old 07-19-2010, 01:36 PM

78 posts, read 185,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethinktank View Post
You know Tampa has never broken the 100 degree mark, right?
Really? All that damn humidity then is what pushes it over the edge

Old 07-19-2010, 06:26 PM

422 posts, read 647,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Well, I love food and I have to say Tampa Bay and St Pete in particular have some really good restaurants... some of my best times in life were in Germany and I really miss the food. There are some great German restaurants in St Pete but this one is the best (imho).... here is a site on it ( Cafe Vienna)

Cafe Vienna is the St Petersburg taste of German and Austrian food
Went there for Christmas lunch with my boss last year. I was leery at first but the speitzel (?) was awesome. And who knew weinerschnitzel had no weiner in it? Great pick kevino.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:15 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,061,150 times
I'm gonna be dead honest and maybe some will agree. I haven't been everywhere in the USA, but based on research on other cities say in the midwest, southeast, north, wherever else, Tampa is one of the top places to be. A place would really have to be a perfect fit for me climatewise for me to leave Tampa Bay since FL climate isnt my ideal climate, but as far as things to do, you can't really beat Tampa/St Pete area unless say you got an opportunity to move to SF, Portland WITH a job, Seattle. My .02. I also would not leave Tampa area to move to Atlanta. Asheville, maybe but debatable.
My hometown area is Lowell MA, and although they are trying to gentrify it and Jack Kerouac is the citys main hero, it can only go so far.
Tampa Bay area competes easily with Boston for things to do and concerts to see, and people to pick from.
Drawback.. Tampa Bay is too transient which eventually could make me head to Seattle.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:59 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,061,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
We're you in a major city like Tampa/St. Pete? I lived in SC and gas and housing was cheaper but we were in a much smaller town. There was less to do and certainly less opportunities. When we moved back to Florida everyone said "Oh the COL down there is so much higher, how will you survive?" I laughed being from FL and knowing that we probably have the best Quality of Life:Cost of Living Ratio in the country IMO. Yeah gas was $.20 cheaper a gallon there too but I don't notice a change at the grocery store and our rent is comprable to the same size place there. Florida is cheap for what you get in places like Tampa!!

Why do you think I'm looking to get to Tampa. It may be just as cheap or cheaper than some of the more farther out suburban towns in FL and dont have to use as much gas.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:31 PM

4 posts, read 6,093 times
Hey, Im glad to see these great things about tampa, I am looking to move there in a few years and still trying to get more info on the city and the cities around tampa. Me and my family are planning to vist tampa next year can't wait. Most of all can you tell me how are the winters in tampa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay