Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 04:53 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,319,235 times

Advertisements

Do you still think we should put oil rigs just off our coastline here?
Oil rig explodes off Louisiana coast; 11 missing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 04:56 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times

This is what concerns me about drilling off of the FLA coast.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post

You Bet! PLUS+++++ all the rest!!!

Sad thing too..I am sure people died on that rig today!

Old 04-21-2010, 05:07 PM

335 posts, read 938,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post

Me too.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:41 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
Ehhh, a little bit of Dawn Dishsoap will clean that bird right up. I was here for the Exxon Valdez Oilspill, no biggie. I mean only 20+ years later and Exxon is finally paying out monies that were significantly reduced. They felt they were not responsible for the fishermen and others losing their income all these years. You can barely tell there was an oils spill in Prince William Sound now. THe animals are slowly coming back. Sure their habitat will never truly be the same, but the environment is a small price to pay for 40 years of profit, tax revenue and employment. Just kidding of course. Do not ever trust oil companies.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:09 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,077,659 times
Anything that is big is bad news for this country and any other country where the foundation of the economy is based on the small business. Big business eats up small businesses or puts them out of business and certainly doesn't care about the effect, so long as their bottom line is covered. This is not exclusive to oil, banks and Walmart. The Big guys squeeze the little ones for every little cent and then the little ones give up eventually and eventually, we feel the effect. Its no surprise that gas prices are going up, when it is manipulated by governments and big businesses. Any government / politician that is supported by big business and that includes independents (lets face it most of them have huge independent means from big business - their own or someone elses) is going to work first for their paymaster and if they have time, we may get a hearing.

Last edited by lavender; 04-22-2010 at 05:11 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-22-2010, 07:52 AM

265 posts, read 974,608 times
While the comments here about the environment and what not are valid, I think the more important matter at the moment is that there are 11 men missing and countless family members in heartache.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:15 AM

428 posts, read 1,242,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltznucs View Post
While the comments here about the environment and what not are valid, I think the more important matter at the moment is that there are 11 men missing and countless family members in heartache.
Yes, many of us probably take it for granted that our chance of having a workplace injury or death is essentially 0. Of course, some of the folks that do these other jobs (be it fishing for crabs or drilling oil) would probably feel like they've died if they had to sit behind a desk all day- but the point is we're lucky that we've got folks who are willing to do all the different types of jobs that keep the world running. I'm especially thankful to those who risk it all.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltznucs View Post

Yes, that was really the point of my thread. Environmental taking a backseat, while extremely important, issues like THIS (loss of life possible) can happen also! SO SAD!!!

and by-the-way...they think all that oil will NOT all burn off and WILL result in a HUGE oil spill...all the way around...IT IS A DISASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-22-2010, 03:29 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
Yes, that was really the point of my thread. Environmental taking a backseat, while extremely important, issues like THIS (loss of life possible) can happen also! SO SAD!!!

and by-the-way...they think all that oil will NOT all burn off and WILL result in a HUGE oil spill...all the way around...IT IS A DISASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately this profession is a high risk job and loss of life happens, unfortunately, and not a reason to keep oil rigs from being on our coast. A major oil spill is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay