U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 12:52 PM

7 posts, read 10,422 times

Advertisements

Hi. I live in the Midwest (near Chicago) and I've been wanting to move someplace warm for quite some time now. I've been reading posts on these forums for awhile just debating which state I want to move to, and after changing my mind several times, I am pretty sure Florida is the state I will move to. Anyway, I've been reading many more posts to decide which area of Florida I want to move to and I'm leaning to the Tampa area, an Orlando suburb, or Ocala. Right now, I'm leaning most toward Tampa or a surrounding community. Any suggestions or information I might want to consider would be helpful. Some information about myself: I am a 27 year old single male. I don't drink. I need there to be outdoor activities such as tennis, swimming, frisbee golf, etc. I like to be active which is something that attracted me to Ocala with the parks, but I also need shopping and entertainment which is why I was leaning more toward being near Tampa or Orlando. I might get bored at my age in Ocala from my understanding. I feel like I'm leaving something out in this post but I gotta go so thanks in advance for responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 08:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,948 times
I've lived in Tampa for 36 years. It is a great area to live. Lots of nice restaurants, shopping, outdoor festivals and concerts. Not sure about price comparison to where you live, housing market etc., but the weather is much warmer in the winter and you can do so much outdoors year round. Orlando seems to draw more tourists, but I've had friends your age that lived there and seemed to like it. Ocala is laid back and if you arn't into horses or a senior then it may not be the best pick.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:18 PM

Thanks for your input. Most of what I've heard about Tampa is good and I haven't heard much bad. I'm definitely looking forward to the warm winter. The winters up here are very depressing and very hard to tolerate. I'm definitely not into horses and I don't think 27 makes me a senior (maybe close though). I will definitely be renting. My lease is up September 30th so I have a few months to make my final decision, but I better not wait too long because I have to get a new place lined up before that. I'm still leaning most toward Tampa as of now.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:08 PM

557 posts, read 1,678,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingeGambler View Post
Hi. I live in the Midwest (near Chicago) and I've been wanting to move someplace warm for quite some time now. I've been reading posts on these forums for awhile just debating which state I want to move to, and after changing my mind several times, I am pretty sure Florida is the state I will move to. Anyway, I've been reading many more posts to decide which area of Florida I want to move to and I'm leaning to the Tampa area, an Orlando suburb, or Ocala. Right now, I'm leaning most toward Tampa or a surrounding community. Any suggestions or information I might want to consider would be helpful. Some information about myself: I am a 27 year old single male. I don't drink. I need there to be outdoor activities such as tennis, swimming, frisbee golf, etc. I like to be active which is something that attracted me to Ocala with the parks, but I also need shopping and entertainment which is why I was leaning more toward being near Tampa or Orlando. I might get bored at my age in Ocala from my understanding. I feel like I'm leaving something out in this post but I gotta go so thanks in advance for responses.
Please secure employment BEFORE you move. Don't just assume that "you'll find something once you get here". Florida economy is really hurting right now and many people are out of work. Also remember wages and working conditions are much much worse than they are up north.

Honestly I'd hold off until the economy improves unless you have a great job opportunity lined up ahead of time and even then I'd tread with caution. Make sure you bring plenty of $$$$ with you.

I'd stick with either Tampa or Orlando if I were you since you'll have more opportunities in a bigger city. I'd probably lean a little toward Tampa since it is less touristy and has way less toll roads. Stay away from areas in between Tampa and Orlando ( i.e. Polk County) unless you like meth, white trash, and 1860's way of thinking.

Florida has plenty of parks so you'll easily find areas to enjoy outdoor activities no matter where you chose to live.

Best of luck to you.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
Please secure employment BEFORE you move. Don't just assume that "you'll find something once you get here". Florida economy is really hurting right now and many people are out of work. Also remember wages and working conditions are much much worse than they are up north.

Honestly I'd hold off until the economy improves unless you have a great job opportunity lined up ahead of time and even then I'd tread with caution. Make sure you bring plenty of $$$$ with you.

I'd stick with either Tampa or Orlando if I were you since you'll have more opportunities in a bigger city. I'd probably lean a little toward Tampa since it is less touristy and has way less toll roads. Stay away from areas in between Tampa and Orlando ( i.e. Polk County) unless you like meth, white trash, and 1860's way of thinking.

Florida has plenty of parks so you'll easily find areas to enjoy outdoor activities no matter where you chose to live.

Best of luck to you.
Thanks for posting. Well I'm a pizza delivery driver now so it's not like I'll be leaving behind a good job. I don't know how I would line up a job ahead of time being I'm way up in Illinois, I don't have a good resume (I deliver pizza), and I don't know anyone around that area. My plan was to save up all the money I could so I can afford bills for awhile as I look for a job. I'd like to start a career but I have no idea what I want to do with my life (I pray I can figure it out before too long). I do know that I hate the cold with a passion and I am depressed as hell almost half the year. I love the hot weather. I was thinking of moving to Arizona for the longest time, but it lacks in grass and trees and that really bothers me, although I love the weather there.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,715 times
BingeGambler, when you mentioned that you were a pizza delivery driver and that you are from Illinois and that you wanted to move to the Orlando or Tampa area, you are JUST ME. I have lived in Phoenix and I agree with your assertions about not having much green there. I was in Arlington Heights and I used to deliver pizzas there and I hated the winters up there. I am thinking of moving down to either the Orlando or Tampa area in November as my lease expires in October. Here's one thing you can do... you can ask for a store to store transfer for your delivery job.... I have done that before and the resume will not look good ... Good luck...

Old 04-28-2010, 03:03 AM

26,746 posts, read 41,084,728 times
Quote:
Orlando traffic jams and more traffic jams...of course Tampa has also traffic jams but nothing compared to Orlando where it is 7 days a week due to the theme parks...For me Tampa wins by far although i like to go to orlando, but living there is something else...

Old 04-28-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric777 View Post
BingeGambler, when you mentioned that you were a pizza delivery driver and that you are from Illinois and that you wanted to move to the Orlando or Tampa area, you are JUST ME. I have lived in Phoenix and I agree with your assertions about not having much green there. I was in Arlington Heights and I used to deliver pizzas there and I hated the winters up there. I am thinking of moving down to either the Orlando or Tampa area in November as my lease expires in October. Here's one thing you can do... you can ask for a store to store transfer for your delivery job.... I have done that before and the resume will not look good ... Good luck...
That would be a good idea but the store I work at is not a chain so that is out of the question. Anyway, good luck if you decide to move.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Orlando traffic jams and more traffic jams...of course Tampa has also traffic jams but nothing compared to Orlando where it is 7 days a week due to the theme parks...For me Tampa wins by far although i like to go to orlando, but living there is something else...
Traffic jams do suck. Is it bad in the suburbs there too? If I picked Orlando I would almost certainly move to a suburb and not the city. I've been to Disney World in Florida, but I have not seen the Orlando area much outside of that nor have I been to other parts of Florida. I think a vacation is calling my name. I would find it hard to believe that traffic is worse than the Chicago area being Chicago has so many more people and the road construction NEVER stops.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:40 PM

26,746 posts, read 41,084,728 times
Quote:
Traffic jams do suck. Is it bad in the suburbs there too? If I picked Orlando I would almost certainly move to a suburb and not the city. I've been to Disney World in Florida, but I have not seen the Orlando area much outside of that nor have I been to other parts of Florida. I think a vacation is calling my name. I would find it hard to believe that traffic is worse than the Chicago area being Chicago has so many more people and the road construction NEVER stops.
I understand what you are saying, but if you live there you have to deal with it...now you want to move and you have options, so what chosing for another traffic jam city while you can live else where with less of a hassle...

I'm from Europe and although I liked it when I lived there, but like it better over here....I don't like going to some of the malls in orlando because the Europeans are almost walking over you, that is how disrespectful Europeans are.....I rather deal with people who live here longer and come from every where...they are used to more politeness then Europeans, although under Obama a lot has changed for the worse, but that is another subject
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay