Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 08:32 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,606,369 times

Advertisements

My dh was recently hiring for his company. Not a ton of positions, but a few. They put ads out on all the job search engines and in the paper. His complaint was that so few people even responded! These aren't super high paying positions, but they pay more than lots of what I've seen around. He ended up having to go with people he wasn't really happy with, just because there were so few to choose from.

I'm genuinely confused! In an area with high unemployment and so many people saying there aren't any jobs, WHY didn't he have tons of people applying? These weren't bad jobs, I really don't get it.

Thoughts?

(He's asked me not to mention where he works because the positions have been filled)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 08:56 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times
I hate to say this, however the MASS unemployment here is from construction jobs, ppl without an education, probably a lot of illegal and maybe some legal immigrants, non- English speakers.....etc....the other category is from the ppl who HAVE HIGHER EDUCATION and will NOT work for peanuts as they didn't spend time in college to me mocked salary wise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magijasakymaro View Post
My dh was recently hiring for his company. Not a ton of positions, but a few. They put ads out on all the job search engines and in the paper. His complaint was that so few people even responded! These aren't super high paying positions, but they pay more than lots of what I've seen around. He ended up having to go with people he wasn't really happy with, just because there were so few to choose from.

I'm genuinely confused! In an area with high unemployment and so many people saying there aren't any jobs, WHY didn't he have tons of people applying? These weren't bad jobs, I really don't get it.

Thoughts?

(He's asked me not to mention where he works because the positions have been filled)

Old 04-25-2010, 06:11 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,308,519 times
^^I know people with masters degrees that were laid off from a 130K/yr finance job, and they are waiting tables or bartending. There are qualfied candidates all over the place. A lawyer waited on me one night in a resturant. Next time you are out, strike up a conversation with a server. I would say there is AT least a 50% chance they have a BA/BS at a minimum and cant find work.

Depends on what your company was hiring for and what the salary was. Because of the bad economy, companies think they can lowball salary- when in reality, some people would rather work in the resturant grind and make a reasonable living in comparison to what some companies are offering for "professional" positions now.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:34 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,630,802 times
Even in this economy, there are only so many workers who will work for peanuts. You get what you pay for.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:46 AM

214 posts, read 678,490 times
Another thing might be the requirements that were posted for the position. If the wording of the ad was "must have xyz, must have abc" and so on, that might have made some poeple think there was no point in applying.

For example, I have over 20 years software development, testing, and project management experience with an MBA and several years of accounting and finance experience. However, I don't know SAP and I do not have a PMP cert. or a CPA so if an ad said they were requirements, I'd likely not apply even if you wanted an experienced PM.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:04 AM

I'm not sure why people are assuming the pay is that terrible. The pay for these positions, and every position in the company, is the same now as it was pre recession. These particular positions only required an associates degree and limited experience. Good entry level jobs. Not a good place for a data processor who used to be making 130 K, but not bad for someone either just starting out, or who used to have a job in line with it salary wise.

It might have been the listed requirements. I'm starting to wonder if they just didn't advertise in the right, or enough, places.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:26 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times
I am not sure why employers seem to be immune to notice prices going up on everything? and not understand that pre recession salaries are no longer covering much these days! I think it is highly INSULTING to employees to be expected to take "pre recession" salaries when everything else has gone up in price!

I think it is enough that the insurance they provide is taking up 90% or people's salaries as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magijasakymaro View Post
I'm not sure why people are assuming the pay is that terrible. The pay for these positions, and every position in the company, is the same now as it was pre recession. These particular positions only required an associates degree and limited experience. Good entry level jobs. Not a good place for a data processor who used to be making 130 K, but not bad for someone either just starting out, or who used to have a job in line with it salary wise.

It might have been the listed requirements. I'm starting to wonder if they just didn't advertise in the right, or enough, places.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:29 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
your post did not mention salary and benefits and turnover, i suspect we both know why.
the answer to your post, a worker might have a lousy job but employers are much much quicker to dump you now than b4 so stay put. employment at will encourages people to stick with those they trust and know-- even if they are underemployed.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 04-25-2010 at 08:23 AM..

Old 04-25-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I am not sure why employers seem to be immune to notice prices going up on everything? and not understand that pre recession salaries are no longer covering much these days! I think it is highly INSULTING to employees to be expected to take "pre recession" salaries when everything else has gone up in price!

I think it is enough that the insurance they provide is taking up 90% or people's salaries as it is.

Ok, excuse me, I should have been more clear..... the salaries are in line with cost of living increases as well.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
your post did not mention salary and benefits, i suspect we both know why.
the answer to your post, you might have a lousy job but employers are much much quicker to dump you now than b4. employment at will encourages people to stick with those they trust even if they are underemployed.

Salary for a person with an associates degree, starting at 33,000. Is that super fantastic? No. Is it doable, if you need a job? I would think so.

Health insurance is available. We don't get it from the company ourselves. It's $300/month for family coverage. I would rather pay $100/month for high deductible coverage and pay bills out of pocket. I think it works out better. All things considered, though, I don't think the health insurance is too bad.

ETA: I'm not sure I'm supposed to be posting this information. I will probably take it down shortly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay