Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2010, 03:41 PM

18 posts, read 70,205 times

Advertisements

My brother recently accepted a position with an investment bank in St. Petersburg. He wants to live in Ybor City and commute to St. Petersburg. Is that doable? He's graduating from college next month and was in a fraternity. I'm trying to help him find a place where he'll fit in. Any suggestions? He's looking to rent a one bedroom apartment for around $1000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 04:45 PM

26 posts, read 97,907 times
Default Ybor to Petersburg

If you went from Ybor to downtown St Petersburg, it would take you about 45 min to an hour...but it could be shorter depending on where in Pinellas County you are talking about. I personally would not call Ybor City a great place to live. It's pretty industrial and really a place where people go to party. There are many other places where your brother would probably feel comfortable. If you are trying to say that he is gay..?...then a gay Realtor can help you find a suitable place.

Last edited by Keeper; 04-18-2010 at 10:40 AM..

Old 04-16-2010, 06:12 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Getting away from mainstreet in Ybor city it doesnt have that much to offer kinda run down neighborhood ,i'd say if you are working in St Pete try and get a place in St Pete or out around the beaches,if its about a gay community there are plenty,try looking northern St Pete Beach area around Johns Pass area or Southern St Pete Beach and Pass-a-Grille area.
I'd not want to be into that St Pete-Tampa rush hour commute twice a day..

Old 04-16-2010, 11:44 PM

13 posts, read 29,984 times
I live near the airport and drive to downtown st. pete everyday. It's not fun. The morning rush hour doesn't affect me as much since I leave my apartment at around 7:30, but the return trip can get pretty annoying on I-275 (after 5 pm). A drive that long costs a lot...traffic, gas, insurance, patience, car trouble/maintenence...

Old 04-17-2010, 05:02 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,078,006 times
For a young man the downtown life of St Pete would be a nice place to live. It's pretty safe, lots going on, the lovely waterfront parks, marina, there are lots of concerts and cultural things going on and nice places to hang out and eat. Its friendly to all and a diverse population. Having a college campus downtown helps keep it young and there is a pretty well heeled mid age group. The drive is not so bad lots of people do it, and I think its preferable to the areas around Ybor. Though South Tampa might be nice too, though a little older and slightly more family like, there are some nice bars and places too. But overall, St Pete has more to offer.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:20 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,597,654 times
Try researching in the area around Feather Sound. It makes more sense to live in St. Pete where he works and drive to Ybor for nightlife than the other way around.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 04-17-2010 at 07:47 AM..

Old 04-18-2010, 08:11 AM

13 posts, read 36,574 times
I agree that Ybor is kind of run down outside of that main street/club district. Plus, the commute would be unbearable for me. It is 45 minutes with NO TRAFFIC. He will definitely be in his car 2+ hours a day, so he better have Air Conditioning.

I live in downtown St Pete and there are a ton of new clubs/bars/restaurants opening. Plus, USF has a fairly large campus here so there are a lot of young people. I love it, and you can walk everywhere.

Feather Sound is nice - kind of "yuppy" ish...lots of young professionals and a lot closer to Tampa/Ybor. Your bro could just drive over the bridge if he wanted to go out in Tampa and be there in 15-20 minutes, probably about 30 to Ybor.

If he really doesn't want to live in St. Pete, then a better spot would be South Tampa for him. Lots of good looking young professionals, clubs, bars and he could commute to downtown St Pete via the Gandy Bridge which is a lot less traffic than the Howard Franklin.

I'm sure he can find a place to rent for around $1000 in any of those spots.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:30 PM

18 posts, read 70,205 times
No, I was not implying that my brother is gay. I would have come right out and said it if he was! This is the anonymous internet! FWIW, I had no idea that Ybor City had a sizeable gay community. I just thought it looked nice and yuppie!

He's a young kid fresh out of college. I didn't know if that area of Florida had a lot of old people. I just wanted to make sure he'll find a place with plenty of other young newly graduated people. He's into the frat/sorority scene as well and a preppy business major, so obviously he won't want to be anywhere edgy or hipster. He's just looking for a nice yuppie area that is decently affordable ($1100-1200 for a one bedroom). In my family, I am the edgy hipster one

Old 04-27-2010, 07:07 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Sounds like he would LOVE south Tampa.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:15 PM

626 posts, read 1,347,849 times
I would 2nd or 3rd (whatever we are up to) the South Tampa/Hyde Park area..even though he is not gay (I have to laugh at the quickness that was thrown out there), but as long as he is gay friendly...he will really like the area and will be within a decent commute to St Pete and also to Ybor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay