Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 07:04 PM

323 posts, read 681,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
The skeeters are just too much there in the summer.
LOL, never been there, so I don't know. I thought the mosquitos got bad down here at some point? When is that? Compared to IN, so far I only noticed them for a couple of weeks down here instead of all through the summer. I remember reading something before we moved, along the lines of: We don't have the 4 usual seasons, instead we have rainy season, mosquito season, hurricane season and tourist season. Probably not in the correct order LOL, I've only been down here 6 months so I'm still getting the "seasons" straight :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 07:10 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,318,414 times
Default Mosquitos

Quote:
Originally Posted by druthb00 View Post
LOL, never been there, so I don't know. I thought the mosquitos got bad down here at some point? When is that? Compared to IN, so far I only noticed them for a couple of weeks down here instead of all through the summer. I remember reading something before we moved, along the lines of: We don't have the 4 usual seasons, instead we have rainy season, mosquito season, hurricane season and tourist season. Probably not in the correct order LOL, I've only been down here 6 months so I'm still getting the "seasons" straight :P
See far less of em here in tampa than in MI. Since 02-2008 have seen maybe 6 mosquitos total. In Mi would let the dog out and she'd loosen them out of the lawn and bring several in the house.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:18 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,024,514 times
Two seasons. Winter and Summer. Nothing in between.
Its either seasonable cool (or down right cold like the past winter) and then summer comes.

You didnt have mosquitoes where you came from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by druthb00 View Post

Old 06-27-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Two seasons. Winter and Summer. Nothing in between.
Its either seasonable cool (or down right cold like the past winter) and then summer comes.

You didnt have mosquitoes where you came from?
No we had a TON of them. That's what I'm getting at actually, I haven't seen them get really bad down here. They were bad for about 2 weeks so I bought a citronella candle for the balcony....and haven't had to use it now! lol.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:50 AM

17,464 posts, read 38,864,396 times
Strangely, we have almost NO mosquitoes where I live now, (near the coast in Manatee County). We had very few in our last home in Lakeland as well.

However, we lived in the small rural town of Dade City for 10 years, and mosquitoes (lots and lots of them) were out in force almost all year! It made it tough to be outside.

Bottom line, I think you find a lot more of them in the country here in Florida.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:33 PM

8 posts, read 18,880 times
Better than 4 months of freezing cold winds!

Old 06-29-2010, 12:51 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,085,110 times
I am from Alaska and yes, the mosquitoes are bad here and can get downright terrifying if you go off the beaten path. Our mosquitoes are huge, in fact they joke about them being our 'State Bird'.

I would imagine the closer to the gulf in Tampa Bay region, the less mosquitoes there are. Unfortunately I doubt we'll be living in Pinellas County.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:29 PM

4,972 posts, read 7,162,168 times
Two types of weather in Florida-hot and not as hot. Mostly hot, though.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:38 PM

4,972 posts, read 7,162,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS1 View Post
I'm having a hard time forcing myself to go outside into the heat. Is this normal or are you guys out there no matter what? I mean, it's kind of like the winters up north...just too uncomfortable to want to spend time outside.

It's a little depressing actually because summer time is supposed to be the time of year to be out and about, and it's exactly the opposite of that and what I'm used to.
You're correct-it's just as oppressive as nine months of brutal cold. Welcome to Hell.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS1 View Post
I'm having a hard time forcing myself to go outside into the heat. Is this normal or are you guys out there no matter what? I mean, it's kind of like the winters up north...just too uncomfortable to want to spend time outside.

It's a little depressing actually because summer time is supposed to be the time of year to be out and about, and it's exactly the opposite of that and what I'm used to.
From the sound of your post, you're relatively new here? Maybe you haven't acclimated yet. Or maybe you're just someone whose body doesn't adjust well to extremely hot temps. I'm the opposite, my body doesn't do well in extremely cold temps. I've only been here 6 months and this weather is just fine in my book lol. No two people are going to feel exactly the same about the heat down here. Some people (and I'm not even this nuts...lol) are out jogging at 1 PM when it's 90-something degrees out. Others hide in the A/C for several months out of the year. Just like what we've been talking about on another thread; some of us have our A/C set at darn near 80, while others can't fathom having it above 72. It just depends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay