Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 07:19 PM

4 posts, read 4,480 times

Advertisements

Hello my name is Pam. I would like some advice. My husband lost his job of 28 yrs in the construction field. He had no choice but to go to Iraq on a contract to keep us afloat. I was able to sell our home in CO. moved down here and purchased a mobile home in a 55+ park to downsize financially all while he was still in Iraq. I have to say,, I LOVE IT HERE!!! the people are nice, the weather is great, the beaches are a big plus for me coming from CO. where there is absolutely no water. Not to mention, NO SNOW. My husband just returned a few months ago for good. I am so glad to have him home, 2 yrs on my own really sucked. I did it on my own because I have no family or friends for help. I am proud of myself and feel that I made a good financial decision because we now have no debt, we own our home except for lot rent and our bills dropped in half.
Now comes the question.
How does one find a job when he is 56? I don't work outside the home as I am the CEO of our home and do absolutely everything, the man is spoiled and only needs to bring in the $$ for survival. We are afraid, we need to find him a job, and life would be wonderful. Him not working is adding more stress than I can handle. It is giving him a negative feel about FL. and that is not the way to start the rest of our life here. Both of us had only visited florida 1-2 times before I chose to move us here. I was taking a big risk in my decision and am now thinking, maybe I screwed up. I don't want to feel this way, because it really is a dream place to live. We just don't know how to find a job. He only needs to make $10-12 and hour now, he use to make $20. and if he cant find a job making the minimal what are we supposed to do? the sad part is the job he had for 28yrs, we were supposed to buy that business until the owner filed banckruptcy and left us with no job, no insurance, no kiss my butt, no thank you, no-I'm so sorry, nothing but a kick in the a** after 28 yrs.
So now we are trying to make a new life with a possative attitude and are getting discouraged.
any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 09:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,333 times
I just moved here too and the best thing I can suggest to look for jobs is the St. PEtersburg Times which is online so you don't have to buy the paper. But employflorida.com is a statewide website that lists jobs that are posted just about everywhere. And you can search by city, zip code, job - everything. It is a state website that they tell you about when you file for unemployment. But that is how I am here. Lived in Central Florida, found a job here. So relocated. In these times you gotta do what you gotta do! Best of luck to you and your hubby!!

Old 12-26-2010, 10:17 PM

21 posts, read 39,109 times
Default Ceo?

CEO? I think maybe at this point being CEO of the home may not be enough, unless you are disabled, you too should be looking for work... Not sure of your situation but if you love it here, the two of you could probably survive easily with a dual income situation...

Old 12-27-2010, 02:34 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roopammie View Post
Now comes the question.
How does one find a job when he is 56? I don't work outside the home as I am the CEO of our home and do absolutely everything, .
Being the CEO/Boss of the home may be great and i'm sure you keep the place tidy and do all household chores but in your new situation can you afford the luxury of totally writing off the idea of not getting a job as its going to be very tough for the 56 year old hubby to get a job,
Suggestions he may pursue would be some form of truck driving,delivery,UPS,Purolator, i used to deliver seafood to all the restaurants along the beach for Johns Pass Seafood Company.
I also worked on several golf courses in the area as ground maintenance worker where you basically cut grass all day.
Can the mans overseas experience be used in some way to get a job?
Its going to take some serious combined hustle for both of you to get income rolling back in..
Best of luck.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:46 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Well, if she is also in her 50's it will be even harder for her to find a job, especially if she has no resume!

To the OP - bottom line, it will be difficult for either of you to find jobs, unemployment is very high here. Jambo gave you some good advice for hubby, but you two may need to find a way to generate your own income, i.e. handyman, house cleaning, pet sitting, landscaping etc., selling items on ebay, etc. If your bills aren't too high, you may be able to generate enough income by both of you working part-time.

Good luck to you.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:22 AM

330 posts, read 1,084,930 times
28 years at one job will go a long way on a resume or application. I know its tough out there but he just has to keep on putting in applications, or start your own business.

There are tons of opportunities to start small businesses out of your own home for little to no cost at all. You are sitting in front of one of the most amazing things ever created by man! Use your computer to investigate start up business opportunities.

Good Luck!

Old 12-27-2010, 08:44 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
You could also do housecleaning since you have been the CEO of your home you have lots of experience. Really there are jobs that may not pay as well but will help out

Also have DH check out Lowe's and HD if he has construction experience. The pay may not be great to start but it would be a good way to meet contractors.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:05 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
He should look into property maintenance. Another good idea would be to put ads out on craigslist to do various construction projects for home owners... on the side. Just a couple of ideas that came to mind.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:04 PM

4 posts, read 4,480 times
Thank you all for your input! We had thought about our own handyman business because we both have lots of experience with fixer upper homes and his knowledge of construction, but found out that we need a business license for everything that we would want to do, there is not such thing as a general handyman licence, which came as a shock to me. I have put out fliers for myself, willing do to house cleaning, organizing, weekly meal prep, personal assistant, etc. with no calls so far. He has applied at Home depot, lowes, many many resume's to listings on craigslist and employ florida. I guess I just never thought it would be that tough with his extensive experience and being a foreman overseas. We wouldnt be so worried except-- he doesnt qualify for any unemployment benifits and a years worth of savings goes so darn fast. But again, thank you all, you have our heads thinking again. Encouragement is all that is needed some times.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:31 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roopammie View Post
Thank you all for your input! We had thought about our own handyman business because we both have lots of experience with fixer upper homes and his knowledge of construction, but found out that we need a business license for everything that we would want to do, there is not such thing as a general handyman licence, which came as a shock to me. I have put out fliers for myself, willing do to house cleaning, organizing, weekly meal prep, personal assistant, etc. with no calls so far. He has applied at Home depot, lowes, many many resume's to listings on craigslist and employ florida. I guess I just never thought it would be that tough with his extensive experience and being a foreman overseas. We wouldnt be so worried except-- he doesnt qualify for any unemployment benifits and a years worth of savings goes so darn fast. But again, thank you all, you have our heads thinking again. Encouragement is all that is needed some times.
Sounds like you are going about it the right way and sooner or later something will turn up,just keep a positive attitude.

Quote:
I guess I just never thought it would be that tough
Lot of people come to discover this fact and it just rubs me the wrong way when people who have been comfortably employed throughout this time of Americas economic hardship smugly assume that if people cant get a job its because they arent trying hard enough or they are lazy lay abouts who just want entitlements from the government.
roopammie you are a good example of good people trying as hard as they can to get employment, but some just dont understand that if the jobs arent there then ya just cant get em so easy..
Good luck, our prayers are with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: