Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 09:46 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,248,992 times

Advertisements

Are you kidding me? what kind of landlord is this? you SUE! I don't know where you find these laws, as I told you before, being a renter doesn't mean you have no rights.

It's simple:
1. You notified the LL that the AC has issues and reported that it needs to be fixed.....when was the last time filters were replaced? we usually take care of that.
2. You get an estimate of how much it will cost to be fixed from 3 companies in town to have something to compare, if LL refuses then...
3. You hire an AC company that fits YOUR budget best and get it fixed, YOU LET THEM IN! YOU LIVE THERE.......NOT THE LL....they fix it, then you make copies of the receipts, and send them with the remainder of the rent for that month if there is anything left after the AC being repaired.

THAT'S IT.

This is what we Do, luckily we haven't had an as***le for a LL in a long time so, if something brakes here, like the pool pump did last year, we bought it, my husband replaced it, we send the LL the bill they send us a check, the end!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 11:45 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,418,340 times
Good luck getting him to pay the bill once you pony up the money. I don't suggest spending your money first and THEN demanding they pay. If you have a PM get on their case about it. Is the PM a member of the National association of property managers? If so, then report them!

This is ridiculous that they wouldn't get air on in the home and is completely unacceptable. I wouldn't spend a dime to get it fixed either. Get over to the RE forum and start asking questions. I'd be calling the PM NON STOP if I were you.

Money better spent would be paying a lawyer to write a letter to the PM/LL. You can surely get a lawyer somewhere to write a letter for a 100 bucks or so. Right now they are ignoring you and you're about to do what they want, ie fix the problem yourself. When you send them the bill they'll just ignore that too.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:39 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,248,992 times
Quote:
Money better spent would be paying a lawyer to write a letter to the PM/LL. You can surely get a lawyer somewhere to write a letter for a 100 bucks or so. Right now they are ignoring you and you're about to do what they want, ie fix the problem yourself. When you send them the bill they'll just ignore that too.
I have to agree with this.....if you are keep hitting a brick wall....this is unacceptable.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:17 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,590,674 times
Cross your fingers for me......

We had someone come and look yesterday and just neglected to let him know that we rent until after he did his estimate.

The guy who claimed to have cleaned the unit cleaned only the coils. The fan is caked with an inch of crap, and the stuff in the drain pan is so thick it has clogged the pipe it's supposed to drain down. He said it's like someone took a bunch of dirt and stuck it up there to let it grow whatever it wanted. Eeeeewwwwwwww. He took pictures. It's pretty gross.

They are coming on Thursday AM to clean it all up and are willing to bill the landlord directly. YAY!

I really hope this does the trick. I was all set to call my BIL, who is a lawyer and has helped me out in the past (moving issues), but now I don't need to.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:30 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,084,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magijasakymaro View Post
Cross your fingers for me......

We had someone come and look yesterday and just neglected to let him know that we rent until after he did his estimate.

The guy who claimed to have cleaned the unit cleaned only the coils. The fan is caked with an inch of crap, and the stuff in the drain pan is so thick it has clogged the pipe it's supposed to drain down. He said it's like someone took a bunch of dirt and stuck it up there to let it grow whatever it wanted. Eeeeewwwwwwww. He took pictures. It's pretty gross.

They are coming on Thursday AM to clean it all up and are willing to bill the landlord directly. YAY!

I really hope this does the trick. I was all set to call my BIL, who is a lawyer and has helped me out in the past (moving issues), but now I don't need to.

Wow, so what was the name of the first company you had come out? DM me if you can please. I want to be sure to avoid them at all costs. I hope this solves your problem and everything gets taken care of. I'm sure your landlord is bummed out about these added expenses....but hey, welcome to property management. Unfortunately I have a feeling your rent will be increasing after your lease is up, so he can make up the difference.

It must be nice to have BIL that can assist you with legal manners. I have prepaid legal through work. People laugh at me all the time that I spend $17/month for the benefit. I laugh back at them and tell them, 'Yeah, I have never used it. But its comforting to know I have it and I am sure I will use it someday and I will be glad I have it. It's sort of like having a lawyer on retainer.'

Old 05-11-2010, 10:11 PM

490 posts, read 578,531 times
Not sure if the AC works and cools or if its dirty and causing you to get ill.
No matter if the issue is one you can't get the LL to take care of, whats the chance of finding a new place, break the lease? Will that cost you dearly? If the LL sues and you state the lease says the land lord is responsible for the AC and the property has working AC that seems like a defense for breaking the lease with medical proof you were getting ill and the LL wasn't addressing the issue of the broken AC.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:01 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,007,509 times
Move at your first opportunity..

Old 05-12-2010, 03:47 PM

346 posts, read 1,336,893 times
Me being a LL, I find it appalling to hear your story about your AC. The AC on my property in Orlando broke down and I forked over $2K to replace the whole system. I have a very happy tenant on her 3rd year of living there and I can't see her going anywhere. Some people shouldn't own property if they aren't going to take care of it when things break down. I also just spent $1200 to drain and repair the septic system. I guess I could have been a prick and ignore it, but I own the place and they're paying me money to live there. I guess it's too hard for some LL to comprehend.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:17 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,228,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
ditto -

Old 05-13-2010, 10:02 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,590,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post

This is definitely the plan for November, when our lease is up.

The more recent HVAC company just left after spending three hours cleaning the unit. Crossing fingers that this does the trick. They also agreed to bill the landlord directly. I'm running it with windows open for a couple hours. I hope that is OK. I thought it would air out any chemicals or loose mold spores before I closed everything up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: