U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 12:39 AM

48 posts, read 119,949 times

Advertisements

I looked at as many threads as i could about all of these areas, and it seems that most are in favor of palm harbor and dunedin, and not as sure about clearwater. I know you guys hate repeating yourself, but i'd love any more advice/insight any of you have to offer on these areas.

I live about an hour north of detroit in a boring suburb, i'm 25 year old male and me and my dad are planning on getting a condo around these areas, but not quite sure which one, and this is where you guys come in Just looking for a nice town thats relatively close to the beaches that's safe and not too boring! I saw someone mention something about the countryside area being nice i think? We just really aren't too sure where. I would be living in it mainly and most likely go back to school and try my hardest to find a job BEFORE i move down.

Or if anyone has any nice condo complex's already in mind they could throw on the table that would be great too! My dad checked out some condos on missouri ave said they were nice but the area wasn't all that good.

Like i said i appreciate the help, i absolutely love florida and have wanted to move there for YEARS. I've been to alot of cities but none of these and i went to tampa when i was REALLY little so i don't remember it much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 01:11 AM

149 posts, read 425,738 times
Don't buy, or even think about buying a condo without coming down first. I would recommend palm harbor or dunedin as a place to raise kids or whatever, but I wouldn't wanna live there at your age. I like being closer to the action. Palm harbor and dunedin are boring. Clearwater is the best option of the 3 for for somebody your age IMO.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:55 AM

47 posts, read 186,236 times
But Palm Harbor and Dunedin are close enough to Clearwater where if you did live in either town, you would have no problem or hassle going to Clearwater for some fun! Plus downtown Dunedin has a an ok night life... Google search Kelly's For Just About Anything... it's 3 buildings all owned by one person... you have a restaurant, a bar and a night club all connected... a full night of fun without going outside!
I would never live in Clearwater, well I guess some parts but you won't know until you come down here... I think you're better off sticking to Palm Harbor or Dunedin for safety and going out to Clearwater or Ybor for fun.
That's my opinion.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:09 AM

2,602 posts, read 7,489,330 times
The only "bad" parts of Clearwater are Greenwood and the area south of downtown just east of the railroad tracks. Remember, though, that this is Clearwater...what's considered bad here is nothing compared to places like Tampa or St. Pete. In fact, in Clearwater, "bad" mostly seems to indicate "rundown."

Out of those three cities, I'd probably pick Clearwater. Like other posters have mentioned, Dunedin is about a mile or two north of Downtown Clearwater, so commuting between the two is nothing. Palm Harbor is pretty much completely suburban and I wouldn't really consider it if you want to be in the center of action.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:08 PM

Yeah good point TampaStar, that is pretty much how i'd like it to be. I don't want to be in the center of it all, but close enough to where i won't have to drive an hour to have fun yaknow? My dad does business in tampa often so he would like to be close to there but not directly in the city. As long as the area is safe as in not ghetto, and isnt in BFE we'll be good lol

In all reality it's still up in the air, we got time to decide we just really don't want to spend another winter here, expecially me. I would mainly be living in the condo and he would just visit often when he has to to business etc...

Old 05-09-2010, 06:10 AM

214 posts, read 619,492 times
Sounds like a sweet deal for you, DS. Have your dad check out property taxes and insurance rates though - they sound like they can be nasty compared to the Midwest so he might be shocked. (Of course, that's going to vary on a case by case basis.)

Old 05-10-2010, 04:12 PM

Thanks and yes it is, i am VERY fortunate that my dads business is doing great and that we can afford a place. His budget is 125k which isnt HUGE but i hope it's enough to find a decent condo in a decent area! Right now it looks like Palm Harbor is a good candidate and even Clearwater is too, as long as it isn't a HUGE drive to Tampa where my dad does business out of then it will be alright.

Once again i greatly appreciate your guys advice, thanks!

Old 05-23-2010, 08:38 AM

5 posts, read 22,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSky View Post
I looked at as many threads as i could about all of these areas, and it seems that most are in favor of palm harbor and dunedin, and not as sure about clearwater. I know you guys hate repeating yourself, but i'd love any more advice/insight any of you have to offer on these areas.

I live about an hour north of detroit in a boring suburb, i'm 25 year old male and me and my dad are planning on getting a condo around these areas, but not quite sure which one, and this is where you guys come in Just looking for a nice town thats relatively close to the beaches that's safe and not too boring! I saw someone mention something about the countryside area being nice i think? We just really aren't too sure where. I would be living in it mainly and most likely go back to school and try my hardest to find a job BEFORE i move down.

Or if anyone has any nice condo complex's already in mind they could throw on the table that would be great too! My dad checked out some condos on missouri ave said they were nice but the area wasn't all that good.

Like i said i appreciate the help, i absolutely love florida and have wanted to move there for YEARS. I've been to alot of cities but none of these and i went to tampa when i was REALLY little so i don't remember it much.
Did you move to florida, If so where and how did it work out?

Old 05-23-2010, 10:54 AM

369 posts, read 746,449 times
Look on floridamoves.com for a condo. You can easily get a 2 bedroom on the water in tampa. I wouldn't move to clearwater, it has a pretty boring nightlife. The bars close down earlier than Tampa bars, and during spring break its a mess to try and get around. Try Bayside Village or Bay Pointe Dr

Old 05-24-2010, 08:28 PM

12 posts, read 36,328 times
Default St. Petersburg

I have lived in the Tampa/St. petersburg area for 45 years, and know this area extremely well. St. Petersburg, especially near downtown, is by far the best area to relocate. Has the feel of a small town, but is a fairly large town with lots to offer. Beautiful parks on the water, very close to some of the best beaches in Florida, and the downtown area has a lot of cool things to do (restaurants, clubs, museums). Great place to take a date to. Dunedin is a nice town, but St. Petersburg is my pick for #1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or