U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 10:10 PM

4 posts, read 11,024 times

Advertisements

I am originally from Vermont. We have been here in Florida for almost two year. We love the weather, unfortunately I hate living in what I consider to be suburbia. I am currently in a newer HOA run neighborhood in the Polk County side of Poinciana. I am bored to death with what to me is city living.

There is a place I am interested in checking out in Plant City. I would like to know more about the town though. My father in law lived there but I can't really rely on his opinion since he is happy living in the heart of Kissimmee, ugh!

So tell me if a person is into growing their own food, not having to worry about land scaping, having a cloths line, composting, ecological issues, having some chickens, having peace and quiet, letting the kids and dogs dig holes and play in the dirt and all that good country tree huggin stuff would you say Plant City would be a good choice?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 05:04 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,672,522 times
Plant City is a rural town,the Strawberry Festival is testament to this. There is a huge amount of citrus and market gardening in that area. Its not a great Town, Mount Dora and Clermont are nicer in my opinion. However, I am sure that you will find they are probably nice for the pastimes and activity you outline. Not sure how the crime rates are in any of the above but not sure how good the schools are in Plant City, I don't hear anything glowing about them.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:11 AM

4 posts, read 11,024 times
Thanks for the reply. Thankfully schools are of no concern to us, we homeschool

Old 05-14-2010, 11:08 AM

15,870 posts, read 33,295,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchygranolamom View Post
I am originally from Vermont. We have been here in Florida for almost two year. We love the weather, unfortunately I hate living in what I consider to be suburbia. I am currently in a newer HOA run neighborhood in the Polk County side of Poinciana. I am bored to death with what to me is city living.

There is a place I am interested in checking out in Plant City. I would like to know more about the town though. My father in law lived there but I can't really rely on his opinion since he is happy living in the heart of Kissimmee, ugh!

So tell me if a person is into growing their own food, not having to worry about land scaping, having a cloths line, composting, ecological issues, having some chickens, having peace and quiet, letting the kids and dogs dig holes and play in the dirt and all that good country tree huggin stuff would you say Plant City would be a good choice?
Yes, as long as you are not in a development with HOA's and such. Another place is Dade City to the north, IMO a much, much nicer little town - beautiful hills, a cute downtown and friendly people. Probably a little more expensive than Plant City, though. Either town could give you what you want. Again, stay out of developments.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:20 AM

208,143 posts, read 80,152,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Yes, as long as you are not in a development with HOA's and such. Another place is Dade City to the north, IMO a much, much nicer little town - beautiful hills, a cute downtown and friendly people. Probably a little more expensive than Plant City, though. Either town could give you what you want. Again, stay out of developments.
Much agreed. Either city is close to Tampa if the need to venture there arises. I might give the nudge to plant city as being slightly more frost resistant come winter most years. Relatives of my wife lived and strawberry and veggie farmed for decade in Plant City. I think both places have that rustic charm and appeal that can be appreciated away from the concrete jungles and HOA's. Plenty of areas outside the city limits for self reliant folks who want to do their thing. Roosters crowing inside the city limits may or may not be welcome. I'd have to check with city hall on that issue.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:40 PM

13,772 posts, read 35,182,774 times
I agree with Dade City or even Zephyrhills would be my first choice. If you are living out in the country should be OK although most folks here do not speak highly of PC. You might check the Hillsborough county crime map and see how it is.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:23 PM

771 posts, read 1,659,698 times
We just moved to Plant city from New York. We wanted to get away from the hustle and bustle. Most of the other areas area really crowded with traffic. Plant city is a nice mix of rural/suburban living with some farm sprinkled in. People are nice, commutes are reasonable, pretty close to everything. It's a great place to be a gentleman farmer.

I live in a gated community and have the best of both worlds.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:22 AM

2,602 posts, read 7,506,988 times
Plant City's gated communities are a completely different world from the regular Plant City neighborhoods. I really don't know what it is so, but it seems that most of the surrounding towns are better than Plant City.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:44 AM

14,668 posts, read 20,527,346 times
Turkey creek is really country and nice you might want to check that out too . my aunt has a place out there that she rents out and the ppl out there are so nice .she never has a problem with collecting the rent either like she did with one of her places in carrollwood when it was really the place to live.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,940 times
Plant City like all areas are in flex. I would review crime rates, housing rates and availability, schools even though you home school right now, you never know, my daughter lives there and has for 10+ years. Now divorced, her children must attend public school. She must work thanks to her ex. who is from the area and is a real piece of work. Local authorities have their own say with the additional financial burdens that go with it. Locals are "church going" god fearing people but so was her ex, though I think he is going through the mid life crisis edged on by mine. Very limited industry to work unless you own your own business or know someone who does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay