U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2010, 07:39 PM

28 posts, read 70,171 times

Advertisements

I see one of the requirements when you move to florida, to transfer your registration over to florida, a vin verification is required. How does one usually go about that?

I currently am licensed in NY and need to know the typical process for registering a car in FL and changing your license over.

Ive already looked over the Florida DMV Website, good info just still slightly confused
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 07:45 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,263,958 times
You can either get a form to take to a police officer to fill out after looking at your car, or you can just have the DMV worker go out and look at it when you go in to transfer your registration.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:47 PM

263 posts, read 801,313 times
Florida DHSMV - New Residents

This site tells you who can get the verification for you, and provides some mail-in forms.

I think we are going to wait til we move, go get insurance, then go to get the VIN verified, then visit the license branch to do everything else. Seems like the right order to get everything done, I think

Old 05-15-2010, 10:54 AM

766 posts, read 1,653,531 times
Each "Tax Collector" office (that's what they call DMV offices down here) has a police officer stationed inside the office that will come out to your car and verify both your VIN number and your Odometer reading. This is really painless and quick. I was in and out in 20 minutes to register my NY auto. Be aware, however, if your title has both you and your wife you will need either your wife to accompany you or a photo copy of her Florida License in order to get a valid title.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:05 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,273,518 times
We had problems getting my daughters car insured because of the VIN number, the car was in a accident in Ohio, put back together with different parts from several cars, hence, a new VIN number that didn't match anything
we had to take pictures of the car, of the new VIN number and the old.

A couple of months later, she's driving home, and a cop is behind her, he ran her plate and this VIN number comes up unknown, he pulls her over, and wants a explanation, she tells him, he scratches his head, and sends her on her way. True story.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:34 PM

44 posts, read 32,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
Each "Tax Collector" office (that's what they call DMV offices down here) has a police officer stationed inside the office that will come out to your car and verify both your VIN number and your Odometer reading. This is really painless and quick. I was in and out in 20 minutes to register my NY auto. Be aware, however, if your title has both you and your wife you will need either your wife to accompany you or a photo copy of her Florida License in order to get a valid title.

This is confusing. The fact that you can just get it done at DMV but if you look at the site says you should get done before hand. I asked my dealer to do it because I was there anyway, he scratched his head and said just get it done there.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:13 AM

78 posts, read 42,908 times
whatever you do, dont go to the DMV here. Go to the County Tax Collector-any(in or outside your county). It costs a few bucks more, but it's quick and efficient.

DMV..you better make plans, call and get an appt first. If you use Collector, must go during the week. On Weekend they'll only see residince from within the county-and the lines are wrapped around the parking lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay