U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 06:46 PM

19 posts, read 24,992 times

Advertisements

I have seen mixed posts on this forum about NPR. I have a daughter starting kindergarten and need to move somewhere with good schools. I may have a job in Tampa...any suggestions other than NPR? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 07:45 PM

17,322 posts, read 11,396,468 times
I would stay away unless you can afford the rich areas to live, what very few areas they are. Most of the west Pasco area is small 2 bedroom homes full of low class renters and plenty of small time drug dealers.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:39 AM

8,488 posts, read 18,666,565 times
There are many nice areas in the NPR area but due to some people being unhappy in certain areas you will get those on these forums that make it seem as if it was hell, while other will make it seem as if it is all utopia.
Make sure you search the forums well to get a good idea what it is like there.

If you have a daughter starting kindergarten you may want to be living closer to work than NPR to Tampa unless you have friends or family in the area as support.
What if you had to pick her up from school when she is sick? Driving an hour for that will suck.

Where is work?

Old 05-24-2010, 04:16 AM

26,798 posts, read 41,504,854 times
NPR has the same as any where else...the good the bad and the ugly but it has the advantage of being close to Tampa, the smell of the sea/beaches, etc.

Visit the area you want to live and go there on several occassions at different times and you get to see how the area is.

There are always people unhappy at a certain place for their own reasons.

I have 2 people moving from our street...1 was very unhappy and was unhappy because the neighbors find out she was a convicted felon and didn't want to deal with her...Her story will be completely different since she doesn't want to disclose her past...

The other is missing her family out of State...that all has nothing to do with the neighborhood.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:18 AM

17,322 posts, read 11,396,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
There are many nice areas in the NPR area but due to some people being unhappy in certain areas you will get those on these forums that make it seem as if it was hell, while other will make it seem as if it is all utopia.
Make sure you search the forums well to get a good idea what it is like there.

If you have a daughter starting kindergarten you may want to be living closer to work than NPR to Tampa unless you have friends or family in the area as support.
What if you had to pick her up from school when she is sick? Driving an hour for that will suck.

Where is work?
She said Tampa. Way too far of a drive. Pasco country around Odessa would be a much better choice.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:33 AM

8,488 posts, read 18,666,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
She said Tampa. Way too far of a drive. Pasco country around Odessa would be a much better choice.
Tampa could mean around MacDill or it could mean Lutz that is why I asked where.
If she is working around MacDill I don't see how Odessa would be a much better choice.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:47 AM

13,772 posts, read 35,119,926 times
I agree you need to know where you are going to working before deciding on an area to live. What if your job was in Brandon, that would be more like a 2 hour drive one way, when you could live in Brandon and your commute would be 15 minutes.

There are good and bad areas everywhere. Personally I always felt NPR was more for seniors plus the traffic on Hwy19 was a turn off. Not that everyone who lives in NPR are seniors but it has that feel IMO.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:40 AM

35,319 posts, read 44,594,558 times
If you are working in Tampa i'd look around the Tampa suburbs for residence as the commute from NPR is going to get old real fast,Housing in NPR runs the gamut but is mostly detached single level family homes, and nearest beach would be in the Clearwater area.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:56 AM

15,840 posts, read 33,183,282 times
You do NOT want to be working in Tampa and living in NPR - that commute would be hellish. NPR is not that nice of a place that would make that kind of commute worth it. I am a Florida native and have never liked that area.

As others have mentioned, depending where you are working in Tampa, look around the suburbs there, we can give better advice when we know where your job is.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:18 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,207,686 times
I think NPR is pretty scary actually....would not want to live there personally, or especially put my child in school there....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or