Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 02:17 PM

305 posts, read 610,714 times

Advertisements

Wondering which location had the better public schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 02:28 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,367 times
Palm harbor

Old 05-25-2010, 02:47 PM

Thanks, the wife and I are looking in these areas to move and Palm Harbor keeps coming up as the best as far as proximty to Tampa/St. Pete/ Clearwater, nice areas to live, and schools. Is there any concern of crime in Palm Harbor?

Old 05-25-2010, 03:26 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,488,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPhinfan13 View Post
Thanks, the wife and I are looking in these areas to move and Palm Harbor keeps coming up as the best as far as proximty to Tampa/St. Pete/ Clearwater, nice areas to live, and schools. Is there any concern of crime in Palm Harbor?
My husband and I are also looking into moving to Palm Harbor, but not really positive. I have heard all good things, but it is hard to really get a lot of people to comment on Palm Harbor a much. I don't think alot of people from palm Harbor are on this forum... We are heading there to revisit again-we were there 5 years ago and want to see how much it has changed-hope for the better becasue 5 years ago a town in Louisiana won over Palm Harbor by a little bit and we ended up here in Louisiana and love it, but Palm Harbor is closer to family and we have had some serious illnesses of family in Florida and were unable to make it down to be with them due to time and money and felt really guilty! Good Luck!

Old 05-26-2010, 07:15 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,367 times
Quote:
As far as I know it is safe in general. I lived in the Dunedin/Countryside/Palm Harbor (PH) area for years and I like it--specially for a family. PH is "huge" place starting countryside of clearwater (by the way nice area too) to Tarpon Springs. Also it adjoins Dunedin. Neighborhood houses range from 130K or less for small hoses to all the way million dolar homes. I was researching extensively while house hunting and living close by and the only reason that we didn't buy a house there after putting offer on a short sale was we found a better deal somewhere else for the same price and we withdrew our short sale offer. So, if the bank hadn't taken its sweet time and responded we would be in PH now.

Schools are great. we had our kid in Ozona (that now substitues PH elementary after it was closed) and we were happy. The High school is one of the best in the whole Bay area. Not sure about the middle school. For family, you have nice parks (like wall spring) close to the beach (though through Dunedin) and some festivals in the main street that happens once or twice a year. You can always go to Dunedin and Tarpon Springs for other activities too. Pinellas trail for biking is close by specially if you are west of 19. Nothing wow as compared to other places in terms of shoping, restuarant and soon but if you are looking for a quite place to raise kids and enjoy nature and would travel to Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater for other entertainment needs, I would take it any day. It just feels safe--even the name feels safe

Good luck.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:32 AM

Thanks. It's looking like Palm Harbor is ranked #1 for us. We'll be down their in July, so I would like to make a trip out there to check it out. Schools are very important, since we have a little one. I would perfer it if we could forgo the private school thing if possible.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:11 AM
Caa

Quote:
Thanks. It's looking like Palm Harbor is ranked #1 for us. We'll be down their in July, so I would like to make a trip out there to check it out. Schools are very important, since we have a little one. I would perfer it if we could forgo the private school thing if possible.
If you find out anything to relay to us, please let us know. We are going to Palm Harbor in the beginning of August for a week and if you could suggest places to check out, good (very family oriented) neighborhoods etc that would be great. Our child is 7 ,so schools are very important-thanks!!!!

Old 05-26-2010, 01:42 PM

No problem. Just a little info from what I pulled out of the web. It looks like there ar 2 parts to Palm Harbor. One section is called East Lake. The High School there doesn't seem to be as good as the High School from the other section of Palm Harbor, which is University High School. This school is highly rated and looks like one of the top schools in all of Florida.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:06 AM
Caa

Quote:
No problem. Just a little info from what I pulled out of the web. It looks like there ar 2 parts to Palm Harbor. One section is called East Lake. The High School there doesn't seem to be as good as the High School from the other section of Palm Harbor, which is University High School. This school is highly rated and looks like one of the top schools in all of Florida.
Thanks for the information. It is really scary moving and we may not, but all of our family is on south Florida and we are up in Louisiana(5 years ago we moved here). I hated south Florida, but liked the Palm Harbor area. Thanks again and wish you luck! I will keep checking back to your post if there is any new information. I know this, we liked Palm Harbor 5 years ago, but Baton Rouge a little better thus the reason we are here. I guess we will see how or if it has changed since then...

Old 07-12-2010, 07:42 AM

Okay, we came back and I'm ready to report. We were able to spend a whole day checking out the area. I have to say that I wasn't impressed with the section of Palm Harbor that covers the University High School district. In case you don't know you can go to the Pinellas county website and see the boundries for the school districts. In this case it runs between Curlew Rd and Alderman Rd and west from 19 (55). There were a lot of older neighborhoods. We then traveled on Plam Harbor Blvd, we saw a lot of trailer parks. This wasn't what I expected, especailly when we made the left on Tampa Blvd and passed a Ferrari dealership. We then took a trip to the East Lake section of Palm Harbor and I have to say that this was a very nice area. Nicely built up. Nice community developements. I'm thinking that we may shoot for this area, my only concern is the Schools. I don't know much about East Lake High School. If anyone could help us with any info that would be greatly apprecited.

I was also told to check out New Tampa. Apparently this is a really nice area. Unfurtunately time prevented us from being able to go there. Well let me know what you find out when you make you trip. I hope the weather will be better for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay