Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 06:57 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,649,054 times

Advertisements

Ok, I finally broke down and said yes to relocation to FL. We've been camping at Fort DeSoto and the KOA in Maderia Beach since 1988. We know the area the best of anywhere in FL-with the exception of Key West and that's price/job prohibitive.

So what I am looking for is a NON-HOA. Around 225K. 2000Sq ft. Found a TON listed. Now to figure out where not to be in the busiest or crime infested areas.

Need suggestions as we've been looking from North of Dunedin to south to Bradenton. We are in our early 50's and will be coming there to work. Hubby right now is working for a Wally-World, but his background was the ready mix concrete industry for 21 years as the dispatcher. I have a Class B CDL with P&S endorsements and I've been dispatcher for 5 years. I also have a degree in hospitality and tourism management that I've not used here in the Hudson Valley.

Looking for a place that we can keep our camper as we are not letting our new camper go. Also Hubby salt water fishes a LOT. We are both outdoorsy types, but I am not a fan of HUGE snakes or alligators. As long as those critters stay away, I am good. The cats I figure will be bewildered by a lizard if it gets inside. Mice are one thing. LOL

So I am looking into school districts or private contractors to work for. Hubby is going to transfer to a local Wally World. We'll have no mortgage as we own the house we have now outright and a good place to buy another without a mortgage. It'll just be the usual basics to be paid for. I hope if we can earn at least 20K each we'll be just fine.

So give me a idea where to start? Also what about hurricane insurance? I'll check with our local agent to see if there's an issue with any home we look at. What knowledge can you impart? Car insurance/personal property taxes? Anything I might not really know a ton about for FL.

Thank you and have a quiet Saturday evening!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 08:26 PM

7,798 posts, read 6,422,600 times
We moved here in 1972, we took an apartment while looking at houses which eliminated the time pressure. That worked well. Our priorities would not be the same as yours. We could not give valid advice for you personal situation.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:16 AM

5,982 posts, read 7,417,028 times
The "local" school districts here are county-wide, no township or city districts. Regardless, they're always looking for drivers but pay rather poorly, which is why they're always looking for drivers.

I can't speak for Pinellas County, but the likelihood of finding a rental where you can park a camper is slim to none is Hillsborough County. Those kinds of setups are rare around here, unless they're in older sketchy areas - and they would be, as any newer construction would most likely be in an HOA community.

You would have far better luck going east of Tampa towards Plant City or Lakeland, which is more rural and has properties like you describe. There is very little in the way of properties with any significant land in Pinellas, as it's been built out for decades.

RM

Old 07-31-2016, 08:29 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,085,634 times
There are places you can park your camper here in Pinellas county, you need to probably look in areas around unincorporated Largo, Seminole, maybe parts of north county, if schools are important, then you should stick to those areas that are feeding into Seminole or Palm Harbor/East Lake areas. If you dont mind fixer upper you can find a house that will probably work.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:42 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,523,082 times
Wouldn't even think about selecting a home until you have definitive work locations set. Avoid crosstown commutes if all possible.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
The "local" school districts here are county-wide, no township or city districts. Regardless, they're always looking for drivers but pay rather poorly, which is why they're always looking for drivers.

I can't speak for Pinellas County, but the likelihood of finding a rental where you can park a camper is slim to none is Hillsborough County. Those kinds of setups are rare around here, unless they're in older sketchy areas - and they would be, as any newer construction would most likely be in an HOA community.

You would have far better luck going east of Tampa towards Plant City or Lakeland, which is more rural and has properties like you describe. There is very little in the way of properties with any significant land in Pinellas, as it's been built out for decades.

RM
We were talking about both Lakeland or Plant City as we've been to both. Also north bound to Holiday or Port Richey.

I saw pay there was bad for school bus drivers. Sad that people doing such important work and have to jump through hoops to keep their CDL's under Federal requirements are considered now less than professional. It's system's like that are hurting the industry and causing their own grief in terms of retaining or hiring drivers. I may end up looking to driver for FedEx or another type of company that I'll do better having a CDL.

Not looking to rent, we have pets and it's a headache to deal with landlords.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
There are places you can park your camper here in Pinellas county, you need to probably look in areas around unincorporated Largo, Seminole, maybe parts of north county, if schools are important, then you should stick to those areas that are feeding into Seminole or Palm Harbor/East Lake areas. If you dont mind fixer upper you can find a house that will probably work.
As we are empty nesters and the last is starting college, districts are more important for me for looking for a job.

Definitely looking more towards the north of St.Pete/Clearwater. As there are Walmart's everywhere, hubby can transfer to work at one for a while down there and then look for another job in the ready mix concrete industry working hopefully as a dispatcher again, if not he'll see what skills can transfer into other local jobs. He does have his 608 Certification for HVAC, so he can look into the a/c repair too in the area or dispatch for a HVAC company.

I don't mind some updating, but not looking to do a full overhaul. That's what's been holding me back about FL. Lots of older homes in areas that look ok on a map, pull up the crime maps, nope a no go. Plus since we got immediate family that lives in St.Pete/Clearwater for over 20+ years, they've been telling us too where to totally avoid.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Wouldn't even think about selecting a home until you have definitive work locations set. Avoid crosstown commutes if all possible.
Not looking to work in either St.Pete/Clearwater or Tampa. I'd rather be a bit further north. And if I end up in a dispatching job with school buses, I'd have to be at work by 5am, so traffic at that time of day is non-issue. At least I'd hope so as I'd want to be within 30 mins of a job and leave around 4:30am like I do now.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:22 AM

30,503 posts, read 21,395,526 times
Stay away from west Pasco.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:01 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,672,979 times
Try Spring Hill you are north but not in the boonies...lol...great place for people that don't need to commute to Tampa and don't have school aged kids!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay