Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 12:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,320 times

Advertisements

Where is your employment and the hours you will be working.
I will be looking for employment. I have over 10 year experience in the call center industry as a Trainer, Training Manager etc. So I ask how is the market? I am currently employed with a Health Insurance Provider in Massachusetts. I also will have a place to stay pretty much rent free for a month or two, can I find a job in that time frame?

What is your budget for housing. Do you want to rent or buy?
Rent in the Clearwater area. I am sure it will be less than what I pay now.

What is an acceptable commute time?
45 mins or less

What else is important to you?
Change of pace, scenery etcc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 01:11 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,309,108 times
Everyone is going to tell you to wait for employment to move.

I would base where you live partially on where you will work and what your hobbies/social habits are.

Most places I reccomend are going to be over $1000 a month for a one bedroom. Certain people on here have more experience with different parts of town and different socioeconomic classes. You should probably specify what you are willing to pay for rent, which I suspect will be hard to do without knowing what you will be making. You also need to pick Tampa or Clearwater. With traffic, there could be an hour difference in locations. If you are working in Brandon, clearwater would be a horrible place to live and visa versa.

I dont know if you have enough information for anyone to provide good answers to those questions just yet, but good luck!

Old 03-08-2011, 03:43 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
You're not allowed to move here from Boston unless you adopt the Tampa Bay Rays and other area professional sports franchises (Bucs, Magic) or at least pledge not to go to see/cheer for New England teams (Pats, Celtics, Sox, Bruins) when they're in Tampa or Orlando.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:56 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
You're not allowed to move here from Boston unless you adopt the Tampa Bay Rays and other area professional sports franchises (Bucs, Magic) or at least pledge not to go to see/cheer for New England teams (Pats, Celtics, Sox, Bruins) when they're in Tampa or Orlando.
Do you think that could really happen?

Old 03-09-2011, 07:14 AM

2 posts, read 3,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post

Well Thats not going to happen. Maybe I will cheer for the lightning because I hate the bruins and bruins fans. I did like the Rays until the broke up their team and gave us Crawford, You can have old Damon and Manny! There is no way in hell I will go against the Celtics (former season ticket holder). I have invested to much in the Pats to turn against them. I have been a fan since the doormat days! Go Sox! Go Celts! Go Pats! hahaha

But seriously, sports is the least of my concerns at the moment. I need to know what the Job Market is like, truthfully. I dont want negative opinions just because your salted about the recession. I am not a person who will sit around at the beach, I will hit the pavement hard until I land something, but what are the chances of landing something quickly?

Old 03-09-2011, 10:38 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,067,140 times
Stay in Boston, youd be crazy to come down here!
I seen the effects of moving from MA to here and it was not too pleasant for the long run. Wages are lower, jobs are worse.. Its so much more worth it to keep your house there and even if values have gone down some, it isnt taking the hit FL is at all.

Also I wouldn't worry. On a big game in St Pete, I wore a red sox t shirt and nothing happened.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:59 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
There are a few health industry call centers in Tampa such as Cigna. Depending on your experience and the company you could make as little as $10 an hour up to $20 to start. I just heard there are 200 new jobs in Tampa.

Do not move to Tampa unless you have at least 6 mos living expenses. You can find a place to rent for less than 1K but it isn't going to be on the beach or even close to one.

Craig is right.. you do not want to live in Clearwater and work in Brandon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay