Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 10:08 PM

23 posts, read 45,738 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Tampa from South Dakota. Can anyone tell me how much a family of 4 needs to make for a good living? Not living high but being able to go to an amusement park on the weekend or a game. I don't want to move if I will only be married to my job. We will probably rent hopefully a house, but we are ok with an apartment. Also, is it impossible to rent with animals? That is going to be the toughest part of the move if we have to find homes for them. One more question...Do you ever see mobile windshield repair businesses? Here with the winter with the gravel on the roads, those types of businesses that come to you to repair windshield cracks are very lucrative. Do you get very many chips in your windshields there? Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 07:38 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallard View Post
I am considering moving to Tampa from South Dakota. Can anyone tell me how much a family of 4 needs to make for a good living? Not living high but being able to go to an amusement park on the weekend or a game. I don't want to move if I will only be married to my job. We will probably rent hopefully a house, but we are ok with an apartment. Also, is it impossible to rent with animals? That is going to be the toughest part of the move if we have to find homes for them. One more question...Do you ever see mobile windshield repair businesses? Here with the winter with the gravel on the roads, those types of businesses that come to you to repair windshield cracks are very lucrative. Do you get very many chips in your windshields there? Any help is appreciated. Thanks
There are mobile repair businesses here - my husband had to use their service when his windshield was cracked from a rock flying off a gravel truck. I have no idea how much business they get. Is this your business? Any particular reason you chose Tampa?

I would come down with a good savings. It's hard to answer how much you would need to live well, it really depends on a lot of factors. With animals, you will almost surely need to rent a house if you can find one, depending on size and # of your animals.

Good luck.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:34 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallard View Post
A salary of $50,000 in Sturgis, South Dakota should increase to $57,046 in Tampa, Florida

Tampa is 14% more expensive than Sturgis.
Housing is the biggest factor in the cost of living difference.
Housing is 61% more expensive in Tampa.

Unfortunately you are coming from one of the most affordable places to live in the country.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:07 PM

49 posts, read 161,857 times
~~~ A bit puzzled ~~ ~
Hi, I am in a similar situation. Though, I am new to the Tampa forum I have been reading in other areas, more than I post. My hubby and I just sold our house in Pensacola,FL and we are not sure where to move to. We had given Knoxville, TN some thoughts because we love the mountains and the weather. My son, who lives in Miami with the rest of our family, is suggesting for us to check Tampa and the Clearwater. He thinks we would have more opportunities there, and we would be closer to family and friends. I have a feeling the cost of living there is much higher than in Pensacola, Fl and in Knoxville, Tn. My hubby is working, but I was laid off in 8/09, and haven't been able to find a job. I worked in a sub-prime auto finance company, as an asst branch mgr and they shut down our branch. I have always worked in banking and finance, and my hubby works at an Auto Dealership as a parts consultant. If anyone would help me out with your thoughts and feedback. We don't want to make a mistake, moves are costly and very tiring. We have a place to stay here in Pensacola,FL for a few months until we decide where we are going. This is so hard because my family thinks Miami is much closer, and we would see each other more. I am not sure this is the right answer for us~~~ I appreciate your feedback and honesty. I have heard the area is very nice, but all I remember is the area close to Busch Gardens.

Thank you~~~

Old 06-05-2010, 02:40 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
There seems to be a lot of mobile windshield repair folks from the same company running around where I live - safelite folks. There's also one or two malls where the guys run a kiosk out in the middle of the mall.

Amusement park passes aren't cheap- but you can get them on a annual basis for $60-100/yr. I have a Busch Gardens member that I think I paid $98 including parking.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:31 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
1 thing in your favor, Florida has no state income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay