U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 10:26 AM

2,726 posts, read 4,591,399 times

Advertisements

Any use of garage except for what it is sends a bad message for the buyer. You have at least 2600 sq ft (if I assume the garage 400) and that's a lot by many standard. You will be better off by using every inche of the house than adding extra. Who wants to buy a converted garage at 3000 sq.ft? Not me. And I hate those advertizements that say "the garage is converted to office space, it can be easily converted back." No I don't want to convert anything. I want A garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 12:43 PM

249 posts, read 407,919 times
I am really amazed . Why do you want to decide for other people? You want to sell it, right? so leave it as it is, and let the buyer do what they will like. Anyway, the prices are going to drop more, so don't spend more money in a house you will sell.

I am trying to buy a condo, and very upset to see that most of them are "move in ready"... we did EVERYTHING for you . Arrrrgggghhh..... YOUR TASTE! I would like to remodel and renovate to MY taste! And yes, for ME a garage is a Plus, I would love one... and can't find!

Sorry for the rant

Old 06-08-2010, 01:49 PM

4,550 posts, read 6,853,920 times
Allwyna> Plenty of condos in the market. Don't buy until you find what you are really pleased with. Don't hurry or let yourself be "talked" into buying something if you are not sure that's what you want.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:14 PM

Thank you for that, Annie . The Realtor who showed me about 20 seemed a bit upset to work so much, so I was almost ready to buy, the house is nice but has some things I don't like (remodeled to the seller's tastes).... AND NO GARAGE. Coming from Cancun, I am thinking about hurricanes.

And is there someone around who knows something about foreclosures and short-sales? Another one that I just contacted told me the exact opposite than the first one . I would really appreciate to know where my money will go (I am paying cash) . I am new here, so the concepts are not familiar to me.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:06 AM

17 posts, read 44,985 times
In every city I've house hunted in (we move A LOT), I've skipped every house that had a converted garage--whether I could convert it back or not. They are automatically crossed off the list. Just my opinion. Good luck during your reno--I've done a lot of those too. :-)

Old 06-10-2010, 12:20 PM

510 posts, read 1,334,342 times
Interesting. I don't like garages. As a matter of fact, I prefer detached garages. Had a friend off himself in an attached house and nearly killed his family in the process. No thanks. Also detached garages look more classy. Just my opinion.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:29 PM

7,136 posts, read 11,397,676 times
Leave the garage as a garage. For buyers coming from other parts of the country a garage is a must. When we were looking for our retirement home we wouldn't even look at homes without garages that were garages.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:31 PM

13,773 posts, read 34,919,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedH71 View Post
Interesting. I don't like garages. As a matter of fact, I prefer detached garages. Had a friend off himself in an attached house and nearly killed his family in the process. No thanks. Also detached garages look more classy. Just my opinion.
You won't find many detached garages around here.. unless you look in the older areas of Tampa like S. Tampa. In many areas you are lucky to have a yard big enough for a kiddie pool.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:52 PM

151 posts, read 519,147 times
As a buyer coming down to the area looking at a lot of homes lately my opinion is leave the garage as a garage. Personally, we would not live without one and if we needed an office it could be added, or a room changed to an office or convert the garage outselves. If we wanted an office we would use an extra bedroom or figure out something else, I think it's better to have the option ourselves instead of the previous homeowner taking the choice away.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelagardner View Post
I think it's better to have the option ourselves instead of the previous homeowner taking the choice away.
I agree so much with you.... as well as about supposed "improvements". I saw a condo a few days ago, I liked it more or less, a bit dark. There was nothing on the floor, left to be fixed-up.... Went back a few days later to see it again, the owner had put a wall-to-wall dark green/gray carpet all over the apartment , it was much darker, and out of the question (I want parquet or tile in the living room).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay