Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2010, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 6,323 times

Advertisements

I am 23 and will graduate with a BBA in December however I would like to pursue teaching. I would like to teach Mid-level (4-8) Science. I am currently taking science classes to have 24 hrs in the content. I am also a substitute teacher. I will be moving to the DFW area in January. I am wondering weather I should pursue teaching through an alternative teaching certification program such as iTeach Texas or Texas Teaching Fellows or a university based post baccalaurreate program. I am considering UT Arlington or TWU. They both take about a year, the main difference being I can find a paid internship if I choose alternative and post-bacc I would have to student teach. Can anyone tell me which they feel is the better route? Do districts prefer one over the other? Is it hard to find an internship? Has anyone personally had a good or bad experience with any of these? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 08:38 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Why teach? At a time when teaching is becoming less atrractive financially (remember what Florida want(ed) to do to teachers' pay--and they are not alone) and socially, why not go into private sector or on to teach at the community college / university level?

Old 07-25-2010, 08:00 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
I hope there are enough Texas teacher posters on this forum that can help you. As another thread mentioned, each state has different certification standards or paths to become a teacher.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:52 AM

354 posts, read 712,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissC22 View Post
I am 23 and will graduate with a BBA in December however I would like to pursue teaching. I would like to teach Mid-level (4-8) Science. I am currently taking science classes to have 24 hrs in the content. I am also a substitute teacher. I will be moving to the DFW area in January. I am wondering weather I should pursue teaching through an alternative teaching certification program such as iTeach Texas or Texas Teaching Fellows or a university based post baccalaurreate program. I am considering UT Arlington or TWU. They both take about a year, the main difference being I can find a paid internship if I choose alternative and post-bacc I would have to student teach. Can anyone tell me which they feel is the better route? Do districts prefer one over the other? Is it hard to find an internship? Has anyone personally had a good or bad experience with any of these? Thanks!
I joined TX teachers after finishing my masters. I just got my first, full time teaching position. Once you are done with your 'internship' year, which is fully paid (what I am about to do), as opposed to traditional student teaching, which is not paid. Assuming you finish and pass your PPR, you then get your full certification which you can take anywhere. I am leaving to go back to Los Angeles after this year(getting married) and have passed the tests in CA as well. Some of the alt-cert programs help a little with job search, for the most part however, you really have to get out there, network, attend job fairs, etc., and get yourself a job if that's what you want. It is a good way to fast track your way to teaching, if you don't want to go back to school, and you do have a mentor your first year in addition to having to take some classes with the program to prepare you(but you do that BEFORE your internship year). BTW, teaching on the college level requires at least a masters--and the pay is not better than a public school teacher (I know because I considered it, seeing as I already have my M.A.) additionally, they usually require that you go on and get your doctorate. Good luck.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:22 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,958 times
As a science teacher, I would opt for the alternate route. Methods and student teaching that you pay for vs.putting you right in the classroom with a mentor/peer coach is a wonderful alternative.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:38 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,945,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Why teach? At a time when teaching is becoming less atrractive financially (remember what Florida want(ed) to do to teachers' pay--and they are not alone) and socially, why not go into private sector or on to teach at the community college / university level?
Because your heart is in teaching?

I'm giving up a really stable job with great pay and benefits to teach instead. Sometimes the intangibles are worth more than a bigger pay check.

Good luck, OP. I opted for the degree program as opposed to the alternative classroom based program, because I didn't feel confident in my ability to be effective in the classroom. I really wanted that student teaching semester. On top of that, the alternative programs here were all in pretty rough, inner city neighborhoods. I would love to be able to teach there one day, but I felt that I needed to hone my skills in a more supportive environment. I think it's a pretty personal decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching