U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2011, 09:07 AM

26 posts, read 78,895 times

Advertisements

(I posted this in the Orlando thread but wanted to post it here since this section of the message board has an audience relevant to my future career).

I am currently an English major closing in on his last year as an undergraduate. I plan on attending graduate school at the University of Florida with a Masters in Education. I wanted to move to Florida (Gainsville or Orlando, undecided) by August 1st of 2012. I am currently figuring out the best way to go about this.

My concerns are finding a job, cheap place to stay, and having enough money to last me a few months while I get on my feet with employment (I will do any job, even flipping burgers). I think a move to Gainesville would be more logical given I would be attending the University of Florida but wouldn't mind a pit stop in Orlando if the job market is stronger.

I have never moved to another state before on my own so I am wondering what is ahead of me and what I should do now to prepare.

By the time I graduate I should have 4k in the bank. I will be looking for a roommate situation, somewhere where I can set up shop and spend my free time finding employment. If anything I want to make sure I get some information on getting the logistical stuff handled (getting my drivers license, setting up a back account, etc).

Thanks for the replies.

Ish

P.S. Please, I have no interest in hearing about the lack of opportunities for teachers in the state of Florida. I understand the circumstances but I am pursuing a teaching position down there anyway.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 09:27 AM

4,469 posts, read 6,761,531 times
The job market in many of Florida's major cities is pretty bad-- I realize you don't want to hear that, but it needs said. In the Tampa Bay area, teachers are being asked to take unpaid furlough days, little hiring is taking place, and non-teaching staff has been laid off. In many districts, they've stopped using substitutes. Smaller areas may be better, if only because administrators have to work harder to get people interested in moving to someplace outside the touristy, beachy parts.

Alachua County (Gainesville) actually looks a lot better than I would expect. Here's their employment page:
https://www.astihosted.com/acsd/JAMN...sp?From=Logout
and here's Orange County (Orlando)'s
https://sapere.ocps.net/sap/bc/webdy...reg_job_search

At the moment, Gainesville is way ahead in sheer numbers, as well as per capita. You might also consider Marion County-- Ocala is a reasonable commute from Gainesville via I-75. And bear in mind that there will be a LOT of applicants for each job for the next several years, so do what you can, academically, to stand out from the herd.

As far as the logistics: depending on who you bank with, you may just keep the account you have now. Big banks (Chase, Wells-Fargo, Bank of America) all have branches throughout Florida. Registering to vote is easy; the parties are all over campus trying to sign up students each fall (my daughter registered five times in 2000 because the Republican Party was giving out free pizza to anyone who registered, which possibly explains a lot about that election). Or you can just go down to the BOE office downtown. Cheap apartments in Gainesville are the Holy Grail, and good luck with that. Don't wait until two or three weeks before school starts, like a lot of people. Same with a job-- the students all snap up waitstaff, retail, and babysitting jobs pretty quickly. If you have a skill that sets you apart from the pack, don't be shy about it. Transferring your license has probably changed in the years since I did it, but Google will give you current information (or someone else may chime in).

Good luck.

Last edited by Aconite; 07-13-2011 at 09:36 AM..

Old 07-13-2011, 09:48 AM

58 posts, read 76,734 times
just had to throw in the 'african american ' thing didn't ya!?

Old 07-13-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
The job market in many of Florida's major cities is pretty bad-- I realize you don't want to hear that, but it needs said. In the Tampa Bay area, teachers are being asked to take unpaid furlough days, little hiring is taking place, and non-teaching staff has been laid off. In many districts, they've stopped using substitutes. Smaller areas may be better, if only because administrators have to work harder to get people interested in moving to someplace outside the touristy, beachy parts.

Alachua County (Gainesville) actually looks a lot better than I would expect. Here's their employment page:
https://www.astihosted.com/acsd/JAMN...sp?From=Logout
and here's Orange County (Orlando)'s
https://sapere.ocps.net/sap/bc/webdy...reg_job_search

At the moment, Gainesville is way ahead in sheer numbers, as well as per capita. You might also consider Marion County-- Ocala is a reasonable commute from Gainesville via I-75. And bear in mind that there will be a LOT of applicants for each job for the next several years, so do what you can, academically, to stand out from the herd.

As far as the logistics: depending on who you bank with, you may just keep the account you have now. Big banks (Chase, Wells-Fargo, Bank of America) all have branches throughout Florida. Registering to vote is easy; the parties are all over campus trying to sign up students each fall (my daughter registered five times in 2000 because the Republican Party was giving out free pizza to anyone who registered, which possibly explains a lot about that election). Or you can just go down to the BOE office downtown. Cheap apartments in Gainesville are the Holy Grail, and good luck with that. Don't wait until two or three weeks before school starts, like a lot of people. Same with a job-- the students all snap up waitstaff, retail, and babysitting jobs pretty quickly. If you have a skill that sets you apart from the pack, don't be shy about it. Transferring your license has probably changed in the years since I did it, but Google will give you current information (or someone else may chime in).

Good luck.

ROFL, LMAO. That is good to know. I will make sure to keep my grades up and get a lot of experience to better my chances. I was told I should have my housing situation set up before my move. What is the best way to get a place with a roommate before heading down? I would not want to waste money staying in a motel. I don't want to be living out of my car until I find a place to stay either.

Last edited by IshGibbor; 07-13-2011 at 09:58 AM..

Old 07-13-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Sep View Post
Why wouldn't I?

Old 07-13-2011, 09:52 AM

Not to veer of topic but why is this place so pessimistic. It seems almost every other thread has a common theme of negativity, low chance of success, I wouldn't do this, that and the third if I were you blah blah blah. I understand the situation of our country but damn.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:31 PM

3,528 posts, read 3,503,136 times
Quote:
I took it to mean he was going to teach African-American English. Does that make it a misplaced modifier?

Old 07-13-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshGibbor View Post
ROFL, LMAO. That is good to know. I will make sure to keep my grades up and get a lot of experience to better my chances. I was told I should have my housing situation set up before my move. What is the best way to get a place with a roommate before heading down? I would not want to waste money staying in a motel. I don't want to be living out of my car until I find a place to stay either.
There's a newspaper that runs roommate ads-- I forget the name of it because it's been years since I looked, and I think, personally, that's a little dicey. You may have better luck checking with a student group-- a sorority, or the AA Students Union, or a church group, or whatever fits.
And when I said "do what you can to stand out"...I don't mean keep up your grades do well as a student teacher. Any reasonably bright ed college student can do that. I was thinking more in terms of additional certifications, or skills: if you were interested in teaching music, besides being in the band also do a year of flag corps or step team. If you want to teach high school English, try to get your own stuff published. Get an additional cert in teaching gifted students or at risk kids. Whatever is germane to your area of concentration.

Last edited by Aconite; 07-13-2011 at 01:57 PM..

Old 07-13-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshGibbor View Post
Not to veer of topic but why is this place so pessimistic. It seems almost every other thread has a common theme of negativity, low chance of success, I wouldn't do this, that and the third if I were you blah blah blah. I understand the situation of our country but damn.
Gosh, I'm sorry. I was trying to be helpful. Okay, tell ya what-- forget I said anything. Florida is really all sparkly kittens and rainbow ponies, and fairy princesses dressed like Rick Scott deliver fresh squeezed orange-pineapple juice with breakfast every morning.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:11 PM

8,572 posts, read 13,937,285 times
Quote:
I agree. I noticed that too. How is one a "Future African-American"? Or, as lhpartridge mentioned, is the OP going to teach African-American English?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching