Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 10:50 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,314,403 times

Advertisements

The recent thread about substitute teachers got me thinking about leave balances. I currently have just under 890 hours of leave saved up, which amounts to about 118 days. We earn .063 hours per hour worked which equals about 91 hours per year. At times, especially over the past couple of years, I think I should use some of it, but for various reasons I don't use many unless I'm sick. I don't hesitate to take a personal day or two, but being out of the classroom can be a hassle. Is there really any reason to accrue so much leave? We have a short term disability plan that kicks in after 20 consecutive workdays missed and long term disability 5 months after that. Unused leave can be redeemed for service credit at retirement.

Do you have different incentives which encourage you to save your leave? Do you save as much as you can, save only up to a certain amount, or do you burn through it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 11:40 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Our incentive is that upon retirement (not resignation) we will get a check for up to 250 days at 30%. Also, pension credit will accrue for pension purposes.

I have 300 days.

I'm out several days a year for meetings (18 or so last year) and will take days if I'm really sick. I al;so use a couple personal days during goose season. You're right, though, taking off is a pain and just creates more work.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Our incentive is that upon retirement (not resignation) we will get a check for up to 250 days at 30%. Also, pension credit will accrue for pension purposes.

I have 300 days.

I'm out several days a year for meetings (18 or so last year) and will take days if I'm really sick. I al;so use a couple personal days during goose season. You're right, though, taking off is a pain and just creates more work.
Getting paid for the unused days would be nice, but we don't have that option. That would be a very nice incentive to have!

You don't have to use your own leave for meetings, do you?

Old 11-17-2011, 12:55 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
No, I should have put in that those meeting days are professional leave. Still have to do plans, though. I missed one this week because we're on an every other day block and I'd been absent/called out on that class day 3 out of the last 5 days I had them in class.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
No, I should have put in that those meeting days are professional leave. Still have to do plans, though. I missed one this week because we're on an every other day block and I'd been absent/called out on that class day 3 out of the last 5 days I had them in class.
They have been pulling us from class more and more too.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I just took a second and did the math. At 30% of my daily salary right now x 250 days, I would get a check for almost $29k?! Can that be right? If so, you have a sweet deal there! I wouldn't think twice about saving my leave.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:55 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,876,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I just took a second and did the math. At 30% of my daily salary right now x 250 days, I would get a check for almost $29k?! Can that be right? If so, you have a sweet deal there! I wouldn't think twice about saving my leave.
Yes, my mother-in-law retired from NY City schools in 1996 and back then she got a deal like that, but I don't know the exact amount.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:46 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
Our sick days are capped at a certain amount when we retire but I know most of the older teachers try to carry 100+ days so that between leave time and sick days, that if they have a catastrophic illness and cannot work they do not lose their insurance.

For example, if you get sick in May, and you run out of leave and sick days before September you would lose your contract and thus your health insurance.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:10 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,942,369 times
I always wanted to have at least 1/2 year of leave (90 days) in case of a catastrophic illness, so I could keep my pension, insurance and step on guide. When I left NJ after 10 years I left 90 days (took 21 sick days in 10 years). Always used my personal days because if we didn't we lost them.

In PA I started over, accruing the days again, just in case. Upon retirement, there is a formula for so much for the first 100 days, and then a little bit each more for chunks in excess of 100 days. The last
contract settled gave everyone $7500 upon full retirement in an IRA to be used for insurance or savings, thus to save your sick days became a joke.

I regret not taking more through the years~like many of the above posters, I felt it too much of a hassle to be out of the classroom and then return only to have to deal with what the sub left in the way of completing plans, discipline issues, and general comments about the behavior of students. I was grateful when my current district changed sick days to illness and family leave days, it allowed me to be upfront and honest with them when I had to travel or tend to a family member who lived a good distance (short flight) away from where I reside.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Our sick days are capped at a certain amount when we retire but I know most of the older teachers try to carry 100+ days so that between leave time and sick days, that if they have a catastrophic illness and cannot work they do not lose their insurance.

For example, if you get sick in May, and you run out of leave and sick days before September you would lose your contract and thus your health insurance.
We have the long term (after 20 days) and long term disability plans that kick in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching