Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 10:03 PM

442 posts, read 1,077,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
An arrest that involved fingerprinting probably will show up on a background check, so definitely answer "yes" to the question. Most places will request a written explanation to any "yes" answers, so you can explain it then. On the other hand, if you answer "no" and it shows up, they likely will not hire you. If you are otherwise a very strong applicant, then something that minor it shouldn't affect things. However, in this economy with so many people looking for jobs, there is a chance they could pass you for someone just as qualified but could answer "no" to that question.
The fact is they won't hire you anyway in this job market. Too many applicants. You don't dare lie on an application because districts can get your teaching license suspended or reprimanded. Then THAT shows up on your record, and you'd have to reveal THAT to school districts.

Last edited by tonysam; 07-24-2012 at 10:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
It may be illegal, but school applications have that question on there all the time and not just when inquiring about a felony. I've seen it on applications my son was filling out. If you answer it truthfully about being arrested (not convicted) many schools I'm sure will still file 13 your application and of course never admit that that's why you weren't offered the job. Teachers, as you know, are supposed to be perfect little geeks their whole life. They are always held to a higher standard than anyone else. Heaven forbid that a parent notices a teacher even drinking one alcoholic beverage, even though that perfect parent has been getting soused all evening. Time to call the school board as the teacher is setting a bad example.
Yep, unfortunately. Those questions on the job applications are designed to screen you out.

Whatever you do, don't lie if it is somehow ever asked. Usually the apps ask if you have ever been convicted.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:36 AM

1 posts, read 6,428 times
I failed to answer "Yes" to a question on my application, I didnt realize that it also asked for arrests too, and not just convictions and I answered "NO" - I was never EVER convicted of a crime, just arrested for a friend leaving his ADD medication in my vehicle and I was unaware of it at the time I got pulled over. I was arrested and charged with a felony! I couldnt believe that just happened to me, especially for some ADD medication which I knew nothing about it. I didnt think it was a big deal, but i spent the night in jail and charged with a felony and in court the next day. Eventually the judge dismissed all charges but I failed to list the arrest on my application. CCSD School District in Las Vegas (Awful district btw) got my fingerprint results back just before I completed my 1st quarter of teaching, and after a few meetings with the administrators they filed to seek termination of my employment. I was devastated. I have great references and over 15 yrs of teaching experience and they destroyed my career over an arrest I was found not guilty of and that was dismissed in court right away. Instead of signing termination papers, I chose to resign (forced to resign) for personal reasons. This way I never have to list on an application that I was ever terminated from an employer. It was a simple mistake that cost me my career. I have only ever seen apps ask for convictions, not arrests as well - I will be more careful next time, Obviously

Old 01-18-2014, 08:20 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
In the USA, if you are accused, you are considered guilty until you prove your innocence at your own expense, no matter that they TELL you. And even then, you can still be considered "guilty by association", or "of a character that is likely to lead to an arrest that will make your associates guilty by association".

I have a neighbor who cannot get a lease on an apartment, because she was once arrested, and evicted from her apartment for that (according to terms of her lease) even though all charges were dropped. But she has a record of an eviction.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:53 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
I would imagine that in terms of getting an apartment, the eviction on her record is the problem, not the arrest, particularly if there was no conviction.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaps79 View Post
I failed to answer "Yes" to a question on my application, I didnt realize that it also asked for arrests too, and not just convictions and I answered "NO" - I was never EVER convicted of a crime, just arrested for a friend leaving his ADD medication in my vehicle and I was unaware of it at the time I got pulled over. I was arrested and charged with a felony! I couldnt believe that just happened to me, especially for some ADD medication which I knew nothing about it. I didnt think it was a big deal, but i spent the night in jail and charged with a felony and in court the next day. Eventually the judge dismissed all charges but I failed to list the arrest on my application. CCSD School District in Las Vegas (Awful district btw) got my fingerprint results back just before I completed my 1st quarter of teaching, and after a few meetings with the administrators they filed to seek termination of my employment. I was devastated. I have great references and over 15 yrs of teaching experience and they destroyed my career over an arrest I was found not guilty of and that was dismissed in court right away. Instead of signing termination papers, I chose to resign (forced to resign) for personal reasons. This way I never have to list on an application that I was ever terminated from an employer. It was a simple mistake that cost me my career. I have only ever seen apps ask for convictions, not arrests as well - I will be more careful next time, Obviously
The applications WILL ask you if you were forced to resign or resigned in lieu of a dismissal. You HAVE to answer "yes." Furthermore, all employers have to do is call the district and ask if you are eligible for rehire; a "no" will kill your chances right then and there.

NEVER resign from a school district job; it is an admission of guilt.

Agree about Nevada school districts, by the way. I was at Washoe when I was illegally terminated back in 2008. The administrators responsible STILL have jobs with the district while I was made destitute.

NEVER teach in Nevada.

Last edited by tonysam; 01-18-2014 at 12:41 PM..

Old 01-18-2014, 02:36 PM

CCSD would "argue," by the way, that you were forced out not because of the arrest but because you didn't disclose it on an application and therefore you "lied" by omission.

In some states, you can have sanctions on your teaching license for "lying" on a job application.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:54 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaps79 View Post
Wow.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:06 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,203,753 times
This is what happened to me...

Way back in 1979 I was with some friends who turned out to be driving a stolen vehicle. We were pulled over and everyone on the car was arrested.
24 hours later I was released and no charges were ever filed.
Flash forward to 1995 my first teaching job. Some how the district "found" the arrest record from 1979. I explained the situation to which they replied--I ought to have disclosed it upon hiring and the district really could not have such trangressors of the law on staff--what would the community think..

Old 01-19-2014, 01:59 PM

973 posts, read 1,452,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
It may be illegal, but school applications have that question on there all the time and not just when inquiring about a felony. I've seen it on applications my son was filling out. If you answer it truthfully about being arrested (not convicted) many schools I'm sure will still file 13 your application and of course never admit that that's why you weren't offered the job. Teachers, as you know, are supposed to be perfect little geeks their whole life. They are always held to a higher standard than anyone else. Heaven forbid that a parent notices a teacher even drinking one alcoholic beverage, even though that perfect parent has been getting soused all evening. Time to call the school board as the teacher is setting a bad example.
It's because they're too many candidates. Why would you hire someone who arrested, and not wrongly in the OP's situation, if you had a mountain of people who were just as qualified and never arrested?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching