Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 08:02 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times

Advertisements

This article reverses some of Ivory's reasoning and talks about 5 attitudes of effective teachers.

http://www.usca.edu/essays/vol132005/gourneau.pdf

Quote:
First Attitude: Demonstrating Caring and Kindness
Second Attitude: Sharing Responsibility
Third Attitude: Sensitively Accepting Diversity
Fourth Attitude: Fostering Individualized Instruction
Fifth Attitude: Encouraging Creativity
Is this easy? Nope, but it can give a teacher a start on how to change student attitudes, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 08:58 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
This article reverses some of Ivory's reasoning and talks about 5 attitudes of effective teachers.

http://www.usca.edu/essays/vol132005/gourneau.pdf

Is this easy? Nope, but it can give a teacher a start on how to change student attitudes, imo.
How does this essay reverse my reasoning??? My reasoning is that when students own their educations and take responsibility for their educations they succeed. You'll have to explain the reversal here.

Nowhere in this "ESSAY" does it say that any of these teacher attributes negates the need for students to take ownership of their educations nor does it claim that having these attributes will guarantee that students take ownership of their education and even if it did, this is an essay written by an ed major in college.

You'll have to explain your point in posting this and referencing my post on student attitudes because I do not see the reversal. This does not turn around what I've posted. Also note I've never said there aren't traits of effective teachers. My stance is the student's attitude will determine the outcome.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:11 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
What these attitudes do is make a start at changing student's attitudes. Your posts seem to imply that there is nothing a teacher can do to affect these attitudes. I think that we can help the kids own their learning, but we have to be positive first. Of course, it is harder at the high school level than at the elementary school level, but really it can be done.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:42 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
How does this essay reverse my reasoning??? My reasoning is that when students own their educations and take responsibility for their educations they succeed. You'll have to explain the reversal here.

Nowhere in this "ESSAY" does it say that any of these teacher attributes negates the need for students to take ownership of their educations nor does it claim that having these attributes will guarantee that students take ownership of their education and even if it did, this is an essay written by an ed major in college.

You'll have to explain your point in posting this and referencing my post on student attitudes because I do not see the reversal. This does not turn around what I've posted. Also note I've never said there aren't traits of effective teachers. My stance is the student's attitude will determine the outcome.
You can say ESSAY in caps all you like, it does not change the fact that the article supports its positions using primary research. Additionally, it is an actual analysis of correlating factors between teachers attitudes towards teaching as demonstrated in their own ESSAYS and their success as teachers.

Maybe do not latch on to a single word and actual read the article.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
What these attitudes do is make a start at changing student's attitudes. Your posts seem to imply that there is nothing a teacher can do to affect these attitudes. I think that we can help the kids own their learning, but we have to be positive first. Of course, it is harder at the high school level than at the elementary school level, but really it can be done.
Where in the article does it state that these attitudes turn around student attitudes? And you do realize that what you posted is just an essay written by a college student, right?

Yes, there are miracle worker teachers but they are rare and cannot be used as the model. If you want to limit teaching to them, then you're going to close 90% of the schools out there because there won't be enough teachers to go around. While I will agree the things in the article are good to work on, I would not expect them to reverse my students attitudes during a single year in my class. You are trying to place the blame for a poor attitude on the teacher and it doesn't belong there. Even if I can reach a student, most likely, they will be too far down the path to failure to turn around in one year. Interestingly, I do find that students to much better during their second year in my class. Some of them just need to learn that they can fail. I had one dad thank me last year for failing his son (dad was a PITA according to other teachers so I was expecting a tongue lashing when I called to tell him his son had failed my class.) I got a big hug out of that student when he graduated this year. Made my year.

This is an essay that suggests teacher attitudes may impact student attitudes but there is no promise of a reversal here. Not even close. I wish it were. Even the best teachers cannot reach them all. The reversal you are claiming is not here.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 07-24-2012 at 03:46 PM..

Old 07-25-2012, 03:07 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Where in the article does it state that these attitudes turn around student attitudes? And you do realize that what you posted is just an essay written by a college student, right?

Yes, there are miracle worker teachers but they are rare and cannot be used as the model. If you want to limit teaching to them, then you're going to close 90% of the schools out there because there won't be enough teachers to go around. While I will agree the things in the article are good to work on, I would not expect them to reverse my students attitudes during a single year in my class. You are trying to place the blame for a poor attitude on the teacher and it doesn't belong there. Even if I can reach a student, most likely, they will be too far down the path to failure to turn around in one year. Interestingly, I do find that students to much better during their second year in my class. Some of them just need to learn that they can fail. I had one dad thank me last year for failing his son (dad was a PITA according to other teachers so I was expecting a tongue lashing when I called to tell him his son had failed my class.) I got a big hug out of that student when he graduated this year. Made my year.

This is an essay that suggests teacher attitudes may impact student attitudes but there is no promise of a reversal here. Not even close. I wish it were. Even the best teachers cannot reach them all. The reversal you are claiming is not here.

The author of the essay writes:
As a professor, I have been able to collect valuable information that has been obtained
through a three year study with students enrolled in the Introduction to Teaching and Learning
course.

I think the summary, though not promising a reversal, states :

a teacher’s attitude and actions can leave lasting impressions. Teachers need to be risk takers by being themselves and by trusting their students. They also need to create independent individuals so learning is more likely to take place. Effective teachers genuinely care, like, accept, and value their students. These teachers will demonstrate kindness, share responsibility, accept diversity, foster individual instruction, and encourage creativity.

Is this not the goal? To leave a lasting impression and make a difference in the lives of others? When we are focused on GPA, test scores and data driven results, everyone looses.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:20 PM

137 posts, read 248,656 times
These attitudes are great, however, the students do need to take responsibility and ownership of their learning as well. While these things can certainly motivate the student to learn, they are not the end-all and the final responsibility does rest on the students.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:30 PM

Since we're talking about what students say in this thread, I asked dd#2 (my 14 yo) what was more important the student's attitude towards education or the teacher's. After pondering this, she said it's 75% the student and 25% the teacher. I'm surprised she gave that much influence to the teacher but I'd buy that it's a mixture of the two with a strong weighting towards the student.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:58 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Since we're talking about what students say in this thread, I asked dd#2 (my 14 yo) what was more important the student's attitude towards education or the teacher's. After pondering this, she said it's 75% the student and 25% the teacher. I'm surprised she gave that much influence to the teacher but I'd buy that it's a mixture of the two with a strong weighting towards the student.
Whoopdee doo.

Your one child speaks for all of them?

And lets be very clear here, teachers have a greater responsibility to foster the correct attitude THEY ARE ADULTS!!

Old 07-25-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Whoopdee doo.

Your one child speaks for all of them?

And lets be very clear here, teachers have a greater responsibility to foster the correct attitude THEY ARE ADULTS!!
Um...this entire thread is based on one essay by a college student so why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching