Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 06:25 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
I have always been there for my students and told them if they ever needed help I would be there.When it came time to utilize that help(extra credit, tutoring, etc.), how many do you think came? I think the most that I ever had were 5 students and they were football players that were forced to come by the coaches! When I failed the ones that were making F's then they decide that they want to do the make up work and stuff. Well guess what? Too bad. I'm not grading it. We are doing these kids a horrible disservice.
Pretty much my experience too, at the college level. I have office hours every week, no one comes. I tell them they're welcome to stop by anytime, no one comes. I tell them I'll be happy to look at their reports and questions before they're due, no one is interested.

But they sure as hell get interested when they discover that I was serious about not just giving them a passing grade simply for registering for the course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 07:21 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,327 times
I'm going to chime in here, even though my daughters experience was with a 2nd grade teacher.

My daughter, now 10 years old, has always loved going to school. Is a bright student and has always loved learning. Up until her 2nd grade year, she has had great teachers. In 2nd grade she got a teacher who was in her last year of teaching. This woman was condesending and sarcastic with her students. While taking a bath, my daughter came in crying telling me her teacher hated her and she didn't want to go to school. I was so surprised because her previous teachers had all told me what a great child she was and a joy to have in their class.

I come to find out, this "teacher" was saying horrible things to not only my daughter, but other kids in her class as well. I went to the principal and demanded she be moved to another class. The principals argument for this teachers behavior? She is being forced to retire this year, so that is probably why she has this attitude. I was shocked and said that perhaps they should let her go now, before she ruins another childs outlook on school.

When my daughter transfered, her whole outlook changed. Her new teacher was positive. So yes, I believe totally that a teachers attitude towards their job is very important to the sucess of student learning. If a teacher is burned out, or just isn't happy with their job that transfers to their students.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:14 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
Haha, that made me laugh xp. But yeah; the figuring it out is the issue
He was monotone and emotionless but he knew his material. Often people who are extremely intelligent lack people skills. It would be a shame to lose what they learned in a lifetime because they're boring.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
I'm going to chime in here, even though my daughters experience was with a 2nd grade teacher.

My daughter, now 10 years old, has always loved going to school. Is a bright student and has always loved learning. Up until her 2nd grade year, she has had great teachers. In 2nd grade she got a teacher who was in her last year of teaching. This woman was condesending and sarcastic with her students. While taking a bath, my daughter came in crying telling me her teacher hated her and she didn't want to go to school. I was so surprised because her previous teachers had all told me what a great child she was and a joy to have in their class.

I come to find out, this "teacher" was saying horrible things to not only my daughter, but other kids in her class as well. I went to the principal and demanded she be moved to another class. The principals argument for this teachers behavior? She is being forced to retire this year, so that is probably why she has this attitude. I was shocked and said that perhaps they should let her go now, before she ruins another childs outlook on school.

When my daughter transfered, her whole outlook changed. Her new teacher was positive. So yes, I believe totally that a teachers attitude towards their job is very important to the sucess of student learning. If a teacher is burned out, or just isn't happy with their job that transfers to their students.
When I was in high school, we had one whose behavior got more and more outrageous as the year progressed. I had him for health. He'd mark you present if he saw you at any point during the day. Instead of teaching the class, he read from the paper and gave points if you could guess the next word. Once we played putt putt golf into cups along the wall for points. He even showed up to a football game wearing nothing but a pair of shorts and hat with a big red feather. He was retiring that year.

I just don't understand administrators who don't do something here. I would think that all you'd have to do is document bad behavior and you could, at least, suspend a teacher without pay.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:10 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

Now, I can see using songs and mnemonic devices for classes like biology where you need to simply memorize vast amounts of information. If I required my students to do something like memorize the periodic table, I'd probably come up with one myself. I think this works for bones of the body, systems within the body, classifications of organisms, colors of the rainbow...things you just need to memorize. I'm not big on memorizing in my class. I don't make my students memorize solubility rules or the periodic table. I expect them to be able to use a periodic table and a solubility table. I see no real point in memorizing these things because if you do work in a lab, you're going to use a reference chart anyway just to make sure.
Tom Lehrer for the periodic table

Old 08-06-2012, 02:51 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,327 times
[quote=Ivorytickler;25501718]When I was in high school, we had one whose behavior got more and more outrageous as the year progressed. I had him for health. He'd mark you present if he saw you at any point during the day. Instead of teaching the class, he read from the paper and gave points if you could guess the next word. Once we played putt putt golf into cups along the wall for points. He even showed up to a football game wearing nothing but a pair of shorts and hat with a big red feather. He was retiring that year.

I just don't understand administrators who don't do something here. I would think that all you'd have to do is document bad behavior and you could, at least, suspend a teacher without pay.[/quote]

The school had told her that this would be her last year teaching. I think they just should have retired her before the year was up. That was why her attitude was so bad, she was being forced to retire, so she took it out on the kids

Old 08-06-2012, 03:38 PM

[quote=lauramc27;25511585]
Quote:
When I was in high school, we had one whose behavior got more and more outrageous as the year progressed. I had him for health. He'd mark you present if he saw you at any point during the day. Instead of teaching the class, he read from the paper and gave points if you could guess the next word. Once we played putt putt golf into cups along the wall for points. He even showed up to a football game wearing nothing but a pair of shorts and hat with a big red feather. He was retiring that year.

I just don't understand administrators who don't do something here. I would think that all you'd have to do is document bad behavior and you could, at least, suspend a teacher without pay.[/quote]

The school had told her that this would be her last year teaching. I think they just should have retired her before the year was up. That was why her attitude was so bad, she was being forced to retire, so she took it out on the kids
I agree. I was told, later, that the reason this guy did what he did was to show that the administrators had no backbone. Unfortunately, it backfired and convinced people that tenure is bad. They thought tenure protected him when it was really bad administration who chose to do nothing because it was his last year. There is no way the union would have backed him on this.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Cute. I think I'll show that. I won't ask my students to memorize the table though. It's enough that they are able to use it.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:23 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Here is the elements one:

Tom Lehrer CHEMISTRY element song - YouTube

But my favorite Tom Lehrer is this one (there is no educational value to it):

Tom Lehrer - Poisoning Pigeons In The Park - YouTube

Old 08-06-2012, 04:47 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Cute. I think I'll show that. I won't ask my students to memorize the table though. It's enough that they are able to use it.
We had to do both in my high school chemistry classes. Early 70's. Public school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching