Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 11:24 PM

407 posts, read 828,469 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, The past few weeks have been very overwhelming for me. I'm in my early 20s and feel the decisions I make now will effect me for the rest of my life. Was curious if I could get some input. Before I begin, I have always, literally me entire life wanted to become a teacher. Just have always debated between majoring in special education or music education. (I have a love and passion for both).

I am currently attending LIU Post on Long Island, NY. I am in my second year majoring in music education. I have talked to many other students who have trouble finding jobs and I even talked with music teachers who been active in there field for years who have lost there jobs. It's scary that LI teachers are having a hard time. That makes me wonder, do I really want to peruse a career where I have a chance I could loose my job if budget cuts towards the music and arts continue.

So I have been seriously concidering changing my major to special education. Would I have a better chance finding work as a special ed teacher?

Here is my other issue, LIU doesn't offer special Ed so I would be transferring. My family is moving down to Florida and I would love to move down with them. So I thought about going to a univeristy in fl so I would walk out with my fl teacher certificate. But then I see all the terrible reviews about being a teacher in Florida.

It seems wherever you are there will be issues and nothing will ever be the way we would have hoped.

Is teaching in Florida a really bad idea? Why does everyone make such a big deal about a NY education?

Thank you for any responses, all appreciated
JazzmanLI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 11:43 PM

354 posts, read 1,281,249 times
Wanting to teach and the vision you have of it may be a beautiful thing. Listen to the teachers that are already in the field and hear about what the reality is that may shatter your dreams as it has theirs.

Every decision you make will influence the course of your life just recognize errors and make continuous corrections. You are young and there are many potential paths to take, good luck on choosing the best one to start out on. You can afford the time for a little exploration of the career world you will be entering.

Please take care not to get student loans to study and invest yourself in a field that you will not earn what is considered a living wage unless you have a clear intent that it is what you want to do. If you do I hope we will not hear you complaining your lot.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:19 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
If you are determined to teach, I would do a SpEd with all the content endorsements you can get.

That includes history, science, math and English ELA. Schools are looking for SpEd teachers with as many content area endorsements as possible.

TEaching? Guess there are those who still believe.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:03 AM

Thank you so much for the replies. Right now in my current state (New York) I found on school near by that offers special ed. There major outline is that your certified by a certain grades you want to teach (ether elementary or secondary school) then you choose a concentration such as math, science, history, or english. Where my family plans to move in Florida I'm looking at a school that certifies you in special ed K-12 and in all four general areas. Now I would assume that the school in florida I am looking at would be much better so I can market myself in more areas, yet I hear so many people say dont go to school or teach in florida. What the deal with Florida?

Old 08-31-2012, 09:08 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,675,948 times
I would recommend SPED, but realize that once you have a teaching certificate you can get an endorsement in anything. If you are looking for job safety I would recommend an endorsement for generalist for all grades up to 8, SPED, ESL, plus whatever else you want. From K-8 I would say SPED is the hardest to pass with no previous knowledge because you usually have to know the history of SPED law backwards and forwards.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:25 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Special Ed, ESL and math are good choices for job security in teaching. In some states, Special Ed and ESL never get cut when there are teacher layoffs. I appreciate your interest in Music Ed, though; music isn't taught very well in some schools. It wouldn't hurt to take a couple of years of Spanish, especially if you want to teach in FL (or anywhere, these days). I would think ESL would be very competitive in FL, with fluent Spanish speakers applying.

I don't mean to be a jerk, OP, but if you want to be a teacher, you really should work on your spelling. Maybe you're posting from a hand-held device. If so, disregard the comment.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:21 PM

I'm starting to think special ed for job security. Thinking that will be my safest bet. And yes, I am using a handheld device.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:29 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzmanLI View Post
Thank you so much for the replies. Right now in my current state (New York) I found on school near by that offers special ed. There major outline is that your certified by a certain grades you want to teach (ether elementary or secondary school) then you choose a concentration such as math, science, history, or english. Where my family plans to move in Florida I'm looking at a school that certifies you in special ed K-12 and in all four general areas. Now I would assume that the school in florida I am looking at would be much better so I can market myself in more areas, yet I hear so many people say dont go to school or teach in florida. What the deal with Florida?
Florida seems to be the trend setter when it comes to whacking teachers pay and replacing it with nearly impossible goals that will be "rewarded" with merit / performance pay.

I know several teachers in Florida who are RIF'd every June and spend the summer looking and hoping they have a position by September.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:46 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
I would definitely switch to Special Ed. The music programs are the first to be cut. Good luck to you.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:52 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzmanLI View Post
Hi Everyone, The past few weeks have been very overwhelming for me. I'm in my early 20s and feel the decisions I make now will effect me for the rest of my life. Was curious if I could get some input. Before I begin, I have always, literally me entire life wanted to become a teacher. Just have always debated between majoring in special education or music education. (I have a love and passion for both).

I am currently attending LIU Post on Long Island, NY. I am in my second year majoring in music education. I have talked to many other students who have trouble finding jobs and I even talked with music teachers who been active in there field for years who have lost there jobs. It's scary that LI teachers are having a hard time. That makes me wonder, do I really want to peruse a career where I have a chance I could loose my job if budget cuts towards the music and arts continue.

So I have been seriously concidering changing my major to special education. Would I have a better chance finding work as a special ed teacher?

Here is my other issue, LIU doesn't offer special Ed so I would be transferring. My family is moving down to Florida and I would love to move down with them. So I thought about going to a univeristy in fl so I would walk out with my fl teacher certificate. But then I see all the terrible reviews about being a teacher in Florida.

It seems wherever you are there will be issues and nothing will ever be the way we would have hoped.

Is teaching in Florida a really bad idea? Why does everyone make such a big deal about a NY education?

Thank you for any responses, all appreciated
JazzmanLI
First, about your major - yes, music education is not the best. There are very few jobs available. Special ed would be a much better choice. I strongly advise switching right away.

However, it doesn't mean you have to give up being a music teacher. Once you start working as a spec ed teacher, you can probably add a music certification by taking a few classes at night (requirements vary by state). You can keep looking for music jobs while you work, and will have a leg up since you already work in the district. You might even be able to do "music therapy," which is a kind of spec ed music mix - not common, but it does exist.

About florida and NY - I don't know anything about florida schools, but I don't think NY is all that great. It tends to be a bit corrupt, and the school districts are small, which I think leads to a lot of cronyism and nepotism. However, NY has a great union, which makes a real difference in your working conditions (and pay, which is good in NY).

I don't know a thing about Florida schools, but it's a big state, so I'm sure that conditions vary by school. A lot depends on the administration of the school. There isn't a way that a whole state can suck.

If you start working in Florida and don't like it, then you can always move. Teaching licenses do transfer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching