Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: TFA a Good Way to Start a Teaching Career? 1 is Very Poor, 4 is Excellent
1 3 50.00%
2 1 16.67%
3 0 0%
4 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 01:11 AM

2 posts, read 5,367 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm a Teach for America applicant, looking for some for firsthand experience with Denver schools and organizations like TFA. The goal for me is a career in teaching, since I am good at it and its very enjoyable. Starting out in a competitive program like TFA in a tough district* sounds like a good way for me to start out.

First, any recommendations on where I can volunteer? I'm looking for High Schools right now, because I am strong in Math and Science (Mines, plus 1 year in oilfield) and I'm drawn to give back to the years when my teachers/coaches made the biggest impact on my life. In the past, I've filled out a form for the school, done a background check, and showed up in a classroom to help a teacher. It's a great for me to see what happens firsthand, and helpful for the teacher and the kids.

Second, are there any organizations similar to TFA? While I've heard phenomenal things about TFA, I've also heard criticism, and I've never been in TFA. (Just my neighbor's son has). While I'm pursuing this looking at other organizations seems like a very good idea. Ideally it would have decent training, other teachers I can collaborate with, and provide lots of opportunity to work hard. The saying, "If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere" sums up what I want pretty well.

Any advice and/or recommendations (including where else to post) appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 08:43 AM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
The Mississippi Teacher Corps offers a 2-year program in which candidates are offered a lot more preparation and support than the TFA Corps is currently receiving. Additionally, the deal includes coursework for a master's degree at Ole Miss and a MacBook. Placements are typically in the Mississippi Delta or in urban districts. Our school has received participants from both programs. It appears that the MTC teachers are much better prepared and supported than those from TFA.

Good luck and thanks for being a teacher in a high-needs school.

Mississippi Teacher Corps

Old 12-30-2012, 09:34 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
A couple of more thoughts: why not get a job as a TA? For most of these positions these days you need at least 2 years of college though--not sure where you're at with that. You also need that to sub which might be an option, though no benefits come with that. Both of these will give you more classroom experience and for pay.

Also it occurred to me that if Mississippi has such a program then some other states may also. Pick your state and go on their dept of elementary and secondary ed site and see what's available. Also, if you have an interest in foreign travel, look and see what's available in other countries. You may be able to segue this into a lifestyle of permanent travel. (Well ok that's what I would do if I were young and foot-loose and fancy free and when I get this younger dd off to college I may anyway.)

Old 12-30-2012, 10:29 AM

137 posts, read 248,559 times
I taught on an Indian reservation my first year. I hated it with a passion but it was a great learning experience.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:12 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
What year are you in college? If early enough switch into education. That way you won't have to go the TFA route and, quite frankly, you'll be way better prepared to teach. You also won't be necessarily tied to working in a high need school.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:38 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,797 times
I just don't think it is that good for teacher preparation. I believe the attrition rate is quite high for TFA candidates.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:45 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I just don't think it is that good for teacher preparation. I believe the attrition rate is quite high for TFA candidates.
Yeah the attrition rate is incredibly high for TFA, something like 50% leave after the two year commitment, and 80% leave after three years, so clearly most people aren't going into the program with a career in teaching in mind. Most are using it as a resume booster. It's a wonder why the program receives so much in funding from the government, particularly when data show that TFA do no better (and in many cases, worse) than those coming from traditional teacher preparation programs. But I guess that's a discussion for a different thread.

Many states have alternative paths to licensure, particularly for those with STEM degree backgrounds. I would definitely do a state-specific search to see what Colorado has to offer and strongly consider going that route, particularly if you're wanting to be well-prepared for a career in teaching. However if you're just looking out for yourself and your own short-term benefit, TFA may be the way to go.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:27 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Yeah the attrition rate is incredibly high for TFA, something like 50% leave after the two year commitment, and 80% leave after three years, so clearly most people aren't going into the program with a career in teaching in mind.
A good portion (I believe 10-20%) leave before their two year commitment is even up. I looked into doing the program (and similar ones...there's a teach for dc, a teach for baltimore, and a teach for PG County in Maryland) and the burn out rate really killed it for me. I didn't want to teach for 2 years, I wanted to be a good teacher. I found blogs of program participants (not the agency sponsored ones--the anonymous, private ones) sharing the nitty gritty details of what was going on in their program.

Some things were expected, and I could have dealt with--truancy, foul language, lack of materials. Some things were eye opening--teacher turnover in these schools is atrocious (as in teachers quitting mid year, 3-4 teachers to finish out a school year), teachers complained endlessly of lack of training and program support, no help from administration when dealing with physically aggressive students, etc.

I opted to go back to school and get a masters in education, do the traditional student teaching, and go about it that way. I'm really glad I did. I still teach in a low income school (although not downtown DC or Baltimore), but I have a background and support system to help me be successful.

I think that going into those inner city or impoverished rural schools is absolutely a calling, and I'm grateful there are people willing to do it. I just think it's important that those new teachers go in with eyes open, and the tools to be successful (and a 6 week crash course in classroom management is not enough in my opinion...)

Old 01-01-2013, 10:00 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
I know the attrition rate is high for TFA people, but when you think about it, it's not surprising. The attrition rate for all teachers in those rough urban schools is high and the TFA people have generally never been in schools before.

My daughter worked with TFA people when she taught in Harlem and she said they actually had more support then she did, but one out of three dropped out within the first few months.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-02-2013 at 11:32 AM..

Old 01-02-2013, 07:37 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I know the attrition rate is high for TFA people, but when you think about it, it's not surprising. The attrition rate for all teachers in those rough urban schools is high and the TFA people have generally never been in schools before.

My daughter worked with TFA people when she taught in Harlem and she said they actually had more support then she did, but one out of three dropped out within the first few months.
Teaching is difficult. Teaching in an urban school is significantly more difficult. Considering this, why on Earth would anyone believe that 5-6 weeks of training is sufficient?!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-02-2013 at 11:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching