Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 04:02 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times

Advertisements

There are days when I'd love to share some thing that happened but I don't want to hijack a thread or start a new one. For example, yesterday, I introduced the trigonometric ratios and used Mt. SohCahToa as a memory aid. A hand went up and the question was....drum roll please.... "Is Mt. Sohcahtoa a real place?". Gotta love 9th graders.

Anyway, it would be nice to have a place to just talk about our day.

Thanks.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-17-2013 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: Stuck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 05:20 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
How about this...today we were talking post-WWII America and got to talking about nukes (North Korea) and Japan. I suggested any nukes from North Korea would be intercepted over the ocean. One of my honors students asked if the nukes blew up over the ocean and fell into the water ---

"Won't the fish turn into mermaids?"

Old 03-14-2013, 08:56 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,797 times
I know! I taught the quadratic equation song day before yesterday and scored big with period 3, period 6, well, not so much.

Eighth graders

Old 03-14-2013, 09:15 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Funny story that goes back several years. We were mapping China in my 7th grade history class. A student raised his hand and asked me why "they" (textbook publishers) wrote all of the city names in Chinese? I walked over, looked at his "evidence", took the textbook out of his hands and turned it right-side-up. He was SERIOUS too!

Old 03-15-2013, 06:29 AM

486 posts, read 862,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Funny story that goes back several years. We were mapping China in my 7th grade history class. A student raised his hand and asked me why "they" (textbook publishers) wrote all of the city names in Chinese? I walked over, looked at his "evidence", took the textbook out of his hands and turned it right-side-up. He was SERIOUS too!
They say there is no dumb question but I once got this question from an honors student who asked
me "What day is the 4th of July?"

Old 03-15-2013, 08:36 AM

486 posts, read 862,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key4lp View Post
They say there is no dumb question but I once got this question from an honors student who asked
me "What day is the 4th of July?"
Correction (had brain freeze) The question was "When is the 4th of July?"

Old 03-15-2013, 01:08 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
That's hilarious. Thank you for making me laugh out loud.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:04 AM

923 posts, read 2,418,880 times
Last week I was grading papers from one of my reading groups. There was a story they had to read which was centered around exercise and being healthy. One of the questions on the paper said, "List 2 things that you could do to get in better shape. My 2nd grade student who has a speech/language processing impairment wrote, "I could put my body in the shape of a square. I could put my body in the shape of a circle."

Old 03-16-2013, 07:06 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
We practice making reflections and supporting the reflection. At the end of our fourth grade unit about the American Revolution, the students answered the following:

What was the most important thing you learned about the Revolution? Explain why it is important. To the first question, a student answered, "That the Americans won World War Two".

Old 03-16-2013, 08:56 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
I'm newly retired from 25 years of teaching & am substitute teaching for my "kid fix."

This week I had to administer the standardized test to a class. After the exam, the kids were getting a little noisy during partner work.

So I flicked the lights, a universal signal for quiet down in every school in which I've taught. The kids all screeched & jumped under their desks. At this school, it is a signal for a lock-down!

I have a lot to learn again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching