U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 08:41 PM

4 posts, read 18,585 times

Advertisements

I was offered a teaching position at a Florida charter school in the Orlando area. I was wondering what are the good vs. bad things about teaching at a Florida charter school vs. the Florida public school system?

This charter school has a high percentage of Hispanic students. Good vs. bad things about teaching Hispanic students in general. Not a lot of Hispanic students in my home state so I have little experience teaching this population.

On greatschools.com, the school is not ranked too low but it's not a 9 or 10 either.

I will be coming from out-of-state and do not want to walk into a school where the kids are uncontrollable, extremely disrespectful, etc.

Should I hold out for a public school job?

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 09:46 PM

21,093 posts, read 24,601,173 times
I will pray for you. Do you have to take a position in Florida? If not, I would not.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:58 PM

18,847 posts, read 32,569,435 times
I would not take it, unless you are desperate. Most Hispanics in Florida are Cuban, or Puerto Rican, and they push their kids to excel.

Orlando is not so bad. You can find a decent place to live on a teacher salary. You need a car though, public transportation is horrendous.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:57 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,515,520 times
This wouldn't happen to be the rapper Pitbull's charter school, would it?

(Sorry that's the first thought that came to mind reading this post.)

Old 07-02-2013, 02:59 PM

What would be some reasons not to take it? If parents push their kids to excel, that would be a good thing, right? Wouldn't it mean well-behaved students who get reinforcement with academic work at home? Thanks for the help!

Old 07-02-2013, 03:08 PM

86,068 posts, read 74,254,345 times
I would think you'd find more uncontrollable behavior challenged kids in public school these days.
There are waiting lists for some charter schools and not all accept everyone that comes knocking at the door.

You might want to do some research into the charter school that offered you a position and find out their admission policy, their policy regarding expulsion, etc.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:10 PM

21,093 posts, read 24,601,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newteach5 View Post
What would be some reasons not to take it? If parents push their kids to excel, that would be a good thing, right? Wouldn't it mean well-behaved students who get reinforcement with academic work at home? Thanks for the help!
Mostly because the governor has stripped so much from teachers and seems to be taking more every month.

I would have no worries about the kids--just the state's policies.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:41 PM

3,388 posts, read 4,846,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newteach5 View Post
I was offered a teaching position at a Florida charter school in the Orlando area. I was wondering what are the good vs. bad things about teaching at a Florida charter school vs. the Florida public school system?

This charter school has a high percentage of Hispanic students. Good vs. bad things about teaching Hispanic students in general. Not a lot of Hispanic students in my home state so I have little experience teaching this population.

On greatschools.com, the school is not ranked too low but it's not a 9 or 10 either.

I will be coming from out-of-state and do not want to walk into a school where the kids are uncontrollable, extremely disrespectful, etc.

Should I hold out for a public school job?

Thanks for the help.
If you're female and it's a secondary teaching position and you're not Hispanic yourself, I'd keep looking. My son taught for a couple years in a packing house town where 85% of his students were Hispanic. He's a big athletic strapping guy and was ready to throw in the towel before the 1st semester was over. His idealistic dreams of being a great teacher were quickly being dashed by the constant discipline issues as well as the students that were always missing making it impossible to catch them up while still trying to advance the class through the material. When he had to lower his expectations, that's when things became a little more manageable. It was a 2 year schooling for him. He stated several times that if a fresh female grad was thrown in with some of these wannabe gangstas, she would have quit teaching for good, without having ever known that things can be a lot better in different environments. Nothing he sees now rattles him at all now. Been there, surfed it.

However, if you are a primary school teacher, it most probably won't be near as tough. Hard to make a call on that one.

The parents for the most part weren't that bad. Their kids often had little supervision (as the parents worked long hours) and thus the proliferation of the attitudes and all the issues.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:01 PM

It is at an elementary school but does have a middle school attached, however. I am a Caucasian female who would be teaching an elementary grade. I don't know Spanish. Would that negatively effect how the kids respond to me? Would I have a difficult time communicating with the parents?

From the latest post, it sounds like many Hispanic students tend to behave like many African American students when they are the majority in the classroom in an area that is middle to lower class economically. Does this tend to be true?

Old 07-03-2013, 06:12 AM

5,645 posts, read 10,192,895 times
You might want to ditch your preconceived notions about race and ethnicity before walking into a classroom. It's a formula for trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or