Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 02:05 PM

11 posts, read 35,773 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm currently studying speech pathology as an undergrad, but I think I may want to pursue teaching, or at least, try it out for a few years through a program such as Teach for America or TNTP City Fellows. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the details of these initiatives. Specifically, I'd like to teach in Philadelphia, and was wondering how competitive TFA is in Philly. I know NYC, Boston, and Chicago are traditionally the cities with the lowest acceptance rate, but what are my prospects for Philly? Alternatively, I'd be willing to try Delaware or perhaps New Jersey. If the acceptance rate is ridiculously low, I may consider pursuing an M.Ed. or switching my major to education (a little late in the game as a college junior, I know). To provide some additional information, I'd be interested in applying for ESL, special education, or English.

If anyone knows anything about other alternate certification methods in PA (or other mid-Atlantic states), details about this area would be welcomed as well. I've been researching PA's "teacher intern" program, and am a bit confused on how it works. Some charter school websites I've visited say "we'll hire you if you have a BA/BS and get a provisional intern certificate," but I'm not sure how common this practice is. Would I have a chance with an intern certificate against applicants who are fully certified teachers? Any other alternate certification methods I should be aware of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 10:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Huh, I'm in Special Ed and English teaching, and I'm leaning toward doing speech language pathology instead, myself. Wanna switch?

Old 07-21-2013, 10:47 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
I am not a fan of Teach for America. Too little training and most candidates have no intention of staying in the profession.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:41 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
TFA generally DOES NOT accept licensed teachers or others in an eduacation field. I also believe they only place people in TEACHING positions, not ancillary/

Old 07-22-2013, 01:33 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,276,419 times
Since you sound like you're interested in being a teacher long-term, personally I'd suggest that you go the M.Ed route with certification. TFA's weak preparation seems more apt for selfish short-timers who are mostly interested in using the experience as a stepping stone.

I don't know much about the TNTP, but knowing who founded it and after looking at its website, I'm not sure I would suggest that, either. The statement from the website that would concern me the most is that program leaders decide who to endorse for licensure based primarily on student achievement. As a first year teacher working in an urban environment, you'd be putting your future career prospects in the hands of something that would mostly be beyond your control.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:26 PM

442 posts, read 1,077,799 times
TNTP=Michelle Rhee

Enough said.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:49 PM

11 posts, read 35,773 times
Tabula Rasa--out of curiosity, what is compelling you to switch? I feel quite torn and am not sure which path is right for me at this time.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:49 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
I know somebody that started with Philadelphia teaching fellows a couple of years ago. She went in with the promise of summer training and job placement, as well as being able to go for a masters in education while working. More than midway through the summer institute, they were told that they wouldn't be placed and would instead have to find their own jobs. She got a job at a charter which was a distaster, and has since moved on to another charter, which was a little better. Not an easy road, but it got her teaching after not taking an education course in college. Of the people she went in with, a fair number have dropped from the program, but she's not sure how many.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YayforPA View Post
Tabula Rasa--out of curiosity, what is compelling you to switch? I feel quite torn and am not sure which path is right for me at this time.
I've been teaching for a while. Continuing onward in my education in my particular branch of ed is mostly synonymous to moving more into administrative roles, less so the front lines/hands on, which is not my preference. Getting my masters in and becoming an SLP would allow for more continued direct work with students. I have spent much of my career working closely with SLPs, OTs and PTs, and they agree with my viewpoint that continuing in the direct therapy vein would suit me better than inevitably becoming a special ed process coordinator, spending more time writing IEPs, monitoring for compliance, and doing caseload management than working with kids. All those therapy roles appeal to me, but SLP dovetails best with my background (reading/English/communication arts with a dual endorsement in mild-mod cross categorical disabilities).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching