Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2013, 04:21 PM

100 posts, read 154,386 times

Advertisements

I will be co-teaching some of my classes this year for the first time ever. It will be for HS math classes. I am slightly worried as many of our students barely passed their previous math course. Any suggestions for co-teaching? What are your opinions on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 06:54 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Are you gen ed or SpEd? You have to get along with your other half. Between the two of you there has to be agreement as to how the class will run and how to deal with those students who are truly struggling.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Co-teaching, like any other partnership, is only as good as the partner with whom you are co-teaching. Consistency is key.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:03 PM

100 posts, read 154,386 times
I am gen ed.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:42 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
It's not so bad, if you get a good special ed teacher to work with. I had the "privilege" of having one once that acted like she was an extremely well paid aide, and one that had to be told what to do, at that.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:25 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,674,513 times
I've had good and bad. It just really seems to depend on how well two personalities mesh.

One good thing - when it was good - was that that particular sped teacher was very assertive about chiming in in a helpful manner. I had another that would chime in constantly in such a way that, basically, implied that he knew more than me. He's a smart guy, but condescending as all get out. And lazy. Somehow the other one was able to meld better.

I found that it was very helpful to sincerely complement her and to go out of my way to let admin know how great her were ideas were. I didn't do that for the other guy cuz he made everyone knew about his wonderfulness.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:35 PM

727 posts, read 1,533,523 times
If you're lucky your SPED teacher will be hands-on and will integrate themselves right into the class. I am a SPED teacher, and I have all team-taught classes (four are in Social Studies and one is in science). The expectation in my school is that a visitor should not be able to tell who is the gen ed teacher and who is the SPED teacher. When I did my student teaching many moons ago, I had one collab class, and the SPED teacher just sat in the corner and played on her laptop; I can tell you I will not be one of those teachers because I love interacting with the students way too much to sit in the corner.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:30 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
My EC teacher (about 45 minutes in a 90 minute class) 2 inclusion classes a day, is a true professional. She works directly with "her kids," asks me questions for them, and helps maintain general order.

I essentially teach the class, the whole class, she works with those that need help. We don't have to mesh, we do our own thing, and it works great.

The ideas and expectations "of the district" are utter non-sense and do not reflect a reality based perspective,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching