Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2013, 09:05 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times

Advertisements

I made it through week one. Five out of six of my classes are fantastic. I just have one chemistry class that will be a challenge. I've had to call that class to attention and remind them we have bellwork that they are supposed to start after the bell rings three days in a row. I had to tell them to sit down on day one. Apparently, they've never been to school before and didn't know that you're supposed to sit down when the bell rings. When I showed the safety video, instead of being creeped out by the injuries shown, like the other classes, they laughed through the entire video . There are a couple of parts where every class laughs like when they use a mannequin to demonstrate stop drop and roll but I've never had a class laugh through the entire video. Especially the eye injury part. I'm trying to figure out what is funny about getting chemicals in your eyes. . I'm a little worried about this class and lab safety.

It's interesting how classes have personalities. My first class of the day is worried about not getting A's, they're on task, ask questions and do what is expected of them. My second class is worried about passing and need to be reassured that they'll be able to fix their grades to keep them on task and prevent them from giving up. My 3rd hour is really interested in the material. I've already had a request to alter a demo to see what happens, which I'll do next week. My 5th hour is a really polite group but they don't like to sit still. They made it a point to tell me that they really liked the activities we did on Thursday and Friday so I could plan more of them. My 5th class is the one that laughed through the safety video and discussion. They even laughed when I explained that broken glass has to go into the broken glass container and not the trash and vice versa because someone might get cut picking paper out of the glass box or taking the trash out if there is broken glass in the trash can. They act entitled. My last hour of the day is my favorite class both because it's the last hour of the day and because they are just a great group of kids to end my day with. It's a really small class so I'll get to do more demos and possibly lab activities with them. I find I can get through the material faster in small classes and I frequently end up with an extra 10 minutes in small classes. Then we just do something cool that relates to the material I'm teaching.

It's looking like a good year, as far as my classes are concerned. I just need to work on behaviors in that one class. On Monday, they get a new seating chart. I let my chemistry kids pick their own seats unless they show me they can't stay on task sitting next to friends. I have three groups to split up. Fortunately, I have 32 desks because I also teach physical science in the same room so I can spread them out. Then we work on being in their seats when the bell rings (tardy if they're not sitting in THIER seat) and getting them to do bellwork. One thing at a time... I went to a seminar on motivating the unmotivated last year and they gave some good advice to attack one behavior problem at a time. This class has a lot of them but it's not a Whack-A-Mole class with deliberately disruptive kids (Whack one and another pops up to take his place.). These kids are just entitled and inconsiderate and need some training. If I can knock some of the behavior issues out this week, it'll be a good year.

So how is your year going so far?

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 09-07-2013 at 09:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 10:05 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Default How's your year starting off?

Magnificently!

I retired in June.

In all seriousness, I salute those of you still doing your best to fight off the insanity being pushed down into the classrooms recently. I could have stayed on the job for another 5 - 10 years, but realized that all the trends are currently negative and I'm too old to put up with 38 year old asst principals and/or central office admins who taught elementary grades for 3 years trying to tell me how to teach physics.

These days, administrivia rules.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:12 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,774 times
Really well. It is my second year in the same school and now I'm feeling much more comfortable (except with the one coworker issue).

Class wise, there are two or three out of the 28 I see where I have to not allow them to get riled up at all. They just can't settle. I'm not a teacher that requires all students to sit perfectly either.

My principal is trying to convince me to go the administration route because she thinks I'd be a good one. I've thought about it but I just don't want the paperwork that goes with that position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching