Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2015, 06:04 PM

29 posts, read 46,872 times

Advertisements

He's a very tiny mouse and not a baby (here's a video of a dwarf mouse for reference, he is this tiny):

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYOPVXCQJGI[/url]

I caught him from a sticky trap and freed him with oil. He was drenched in it so I waited until his fur cleaned itself of the oil; he's very fluffy now. It's been almost 2 weeks since I caught him. Since it's the middle of winter, and it was well below 10 degrees for a couple days since, I kept him in a big white box with water and feeding him once a day or sometimes twice, a toilet paper tube and two socks he loves to sleep in. I was thinking about releasing him when the weather gets a bit warmer and he can find food. But I feel he may become conditioned to being fed and taken care of. I want to get him a wheel to run on because he gets very hyper and it'll give him something to do during the day or night along with chewable wood. He also poops everywhere and was thinking about potty training him, or finding a way to keep smell at bay. What kind of cage can I even get a mouse this small that he can't squeeze out of??

He's very cute and I've named him Pichu for being really tiny I just want him happy and not in that ugly box. He sniffs me a lot when I put my finger in front of him, grabbed my finger with his paws and has yet to get comfortable with me. I'm still scared he'll bite and don't wanna risk it to some extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 06:14 PM

6,963 posts, read 4,807,617 times
You're posting under education/teaching. Might want to ask a mod to move this to pets.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:15 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,552,138 times
When I used to have mice as pets, we used a 20 gallon aquarium as a cage. PetSmart or Petco might me a good source of supplies and info.

No you can't potty train them, you'll need to keep the bedding material clean by changing it out every so often.

We used to put water in a small metal or plastic bottle cap (metal might be better)...IIRC, we used one from Heinz ketchup.

There are many toys and wheels for them to use, and they are not that expensive.

You might want to contact a vet or the Humane Society and ask them their opinion about releasing him/her.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
You're posting under education/teaching. Might want to ask a mod to move this to pets.
Oh dear I'm sorry. How do I do move this to another threat? I'm new to this site.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:21 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,098 times
How can he be happy living alone in a cage? Let him go free.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
When I used to have mice as pets, we used a 20 gallon aquarium as a cage. PetSmart or Petco might me a good source of supplies and info.

No you can't potty train them, you'll need to keep the bedding material clean by changing it out every so often.

We used to put water in a small metal or plastic bottle cap (metal might be better)...IIRC, we used one from Heinz ketchup.

There are many toys and wheels for them to use, and they are not that expensive.

You might want to contact a vet or the Humane Society and ask them their opinion about releasing him/her.

Thank you. I already did the bottle cap thing I'm about to just use an aquarium as well And probably get a corn cob bedding to stop the smell a bit (from what i read online). I'll try to contact the humane society and see what I can do.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:46 PM

588 posts, read 1,438,334 times
I have a dwarf hamster (which is much bigger than your dwarf mouse) and she lives in a 20-gallon long aquarium. She has a wheel to run on, tons of tubes to run through (mostly paper towel and toilet paper tubes so I can throw them away when she pees on them), multiple nesting spots (little caves and plumbing tubes), a dust bath, and levels I built out of plexiglass shelves. With the levels, her enclosure is about twice the size of a typical 20-gallon long aquarium. She seems quite happy.

I line the aquarium in three layers of paper towels, and then fill half of the aquarium with a few inches of paper bedding (CareFresh or Kaytee brand), and give her another few paper towels, torn into a few pieces, to use in her nest. With the amount of bedding she has, I only have to clean her aquarium once every other week. She builds herself a main nest, and then builds spots to hide her seeds.

It is very important for small animals to have fresh water. I use two water bottles- one of each end of her aquarium. I have a "hamster potty," but my hamster never learned to use it. Her sister, who died in October, did use hers, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching