Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 09:35 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,100,301 times

Advertisements

I recently started substitute teaching while I finish graduate school. I am not trained in education, and the state does not require that I be. I am working in high schools and often times am just supervising the students as they complete the assignments left for them. My question is how strict to be with the students. I usually don't mind if they talk quietly, but what are good ways to keep them from getting too loud, as is often the case? When should I intervene too let them know they are too loud? What methods can I use to get those that are not back on task? I haven't been an utter failure, and I feel that things have gone pretty well, just looking for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 11:32 PM

469 posts, read 1,038,104 times
Tell them assignments wiil be collected at the end of class. This wii eliminate the "I'll do it for homework" slackers. If they've completed the assignment, let them chat quietly, as long as they don't bother others.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:24 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,680,945 times
It is very important that you can use student's names. I would have each student fold a half-piece of light colored construction into a pup tent using darker colored crayola markers. Tell them to write their names in their neatest printing as large as possible. I'd even bring stickers and let them decorate them. This way you can immediately say, "Suzy, I'd like you to focus on your assignment." Using their name is powerful in a non-threatening manner for maintaining control. Beware, the rabble rousers may write the wrong name on their tent.

Walking the room and focusing on trouble areas is vital also. Always give the impression of calm confidence, even if you feel you are unraveling.

Good luck. Subbing's a tough gig.

I told my students that my previous was a high offender prison. That helped a lot.

Realize that as the sub, the admin is ecstatic if you can just maintain order.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:38 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,760,182 times
Great sub forum with lots of ideas:
Substitute Teachers - ProTeacher Community

Old 10-30-2013, 01:21 PM

469 posts, read 1,038,104 times
Good schools will require teachers to have seating charts. Inform the students that role will be taken according to the seating charts.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:02 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,689,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
I recently started substitute teaching while I finish graduate school. I am not trained in education, and the state does not require that I be. I am working in high schools and often times am just supervising the students as they complete the assignments left for them. My question is how strict to be with the students. I usually don't mind if they talk quietly, but what are good ways to keep them from getting too loud, as is often the case? When should I intervene too let them know they are too loud? What methods can I use to get those that are not back on task? I haven't been an utter failure, and I feel that things have gone pretty well, just looking for any advice.
Keep in mind that you are coming into a situation where the status quo has already been established. There is a big difference between schools and between teachers as far as classroom discipline. You can't change it 180 degrees.

You need to understand what backup you have from administration. In some schools they don't want to hear about discipline issues; in others you can write up a student and they will get in-school, lunch or after school detention. One school in my area also has Saturday morning detention. In the one school where I sub, the is a security person who patrols the halls and knows who the troublemakers are. I have his cell number in my phone but have never had to call him.

In each classroom situation, you need to be firm and tell the students your expectations at the beginning of class. It is almost impossible to regain control once you have lost it. It helps to have a loud voice and talk like you mean it. It doesn't do any good to threaten students with some form of punishment if you won't or can't follow through. Don't assume students will get quiet after they start working on an assignment.

I had one class today that was difficult and the others were no problem. The problem class was low performing and many of the students will probably not do the assignment they were supposed to be working on. They don't care. They are in school because they have to be there and to have a good time. In retrospect, I should have been more strict as soon as the bell rang. It is easy to get complacent with well behaved classes and then the low performing class with the class clowns arrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebeyer2013 View Post
Tell them assignments wiil be collected at the end of class. This wii eliminate the "I'll do it for homework" slackers. If they've completed the assignment, let them chat quietly, as long as they don't bother others.
It works sometimes and is always worth a try, but you will have classes where they don't care and won't turn anything in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebeyer2013 View Post
Good schools will require teachers to have seating charts. Inform the students that role will be taken according to the seating charts.
It is one thing to have a seating chart and another thing for it to be up to date. Students will say thing like "Mrs. Smith rearranged out seats," or "This is where I always sit."

Old 10-30-2013, 05:43 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,950,670 times
If at all possible, bring a few sets of some "challenge" games; sudoko, crossword puzzles, word search games etc. You could probably pick these up for a dollar, or download them from the internet websites. These will often engage students when they are finished with their seat work and keep them quiet. If you haven't had any issues yet, you're probably doing a great job. I used to tell my students that their respect for a sub was a direct correlation of their respect to me. Maybe you'll have to remind students that Mr. or Mrs. Teacher would be disappointed to hear that Johnny or Susie refused to do the assignment and was disrupting the learning of others.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:05 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,689,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachbeach View Post
If at all possible, bring a few sets of some "challenge" games; sudoko, crossword puzzles, word search games etc. You could probably pick these up for a dollar, or download them from the internet websites. These will often engage students when they are finished with their seat work and keep them quiet. If you haven't had any issues yet, you're probably doing a great job. I used to tell my students that their respect for a sub was a direct correlation of their respect to me. Maybe you'll have to remind students that Mr. or Mrs. Teacher would be disappointed to hear that Johnny or Susie refused to do the assignment and was disrupting the learning of others.
I'll bet you are a retired elementary teacher from an affluent school district. The only games kids are interested in playing today are video games like Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Grand Theft Auto, or Call of Duty: Ghosts. Many of the HS boys can't wait to go home and play these games until about 3AM, which explains why they aren't interested in paying attention or working on assignments in class.

BTW, word searches should be banned from schools. They are worthless. They are just another example of why are schools do such a poor job. Some teachers actually think they are educational.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:08 PM

20,130 posts, read 16,192,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
BTW, word searches should be banned from schools. They are worthless. They are just another example of why are schools do such a poor job. Some teachers actually think they are educational.
Correctly used students can learn new words and their spellings by intensively searching for them, letter by letter, in the puzzle. They are helpful with adult English as a Second Language learners for the same reason and are often recommended in established ESL/EOL curriculums. Among the things that word searches do is help students recognize consonant clusters and common vowel combinations. They reinforce vocabulary too. That all said, some teachers rely on them waaay too much.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:21 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,255,988 times
Best advice I ever got---

Walk in like you own it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching